New people...sigh

Options

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For me, I filled out my profile even when I didn't plan on the social aspect partly because that reminds me of my motivation. What other people think in that regard doesn't matter to me. I don't have a picture up because, well, I don't care to put one up. I'm on this site to maintain my weight, so it's not like there's going to be much in the ways of "before and after". Plus, I do most of my logging on this site either from work or from my iPad, where I don't have any pictures of myself available to upload. As far as avatars, if I'm using a picture that isn't of me, then it may as well be the blank one rather than one I spend my limited amount of time scouring the internet for.

But in some cases it makes sense, especially with new people. Even though this site is designed to help us with our nutritional habits, it's going to take some people a while to warm up enough to strangers and put themselves out where the world can see them. If you're self conscious about your weight and appearance, you might not want to show it off for the internet crowd.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    If they using only the mobile app there is no way to fill in the profile about me section..or at least none that I have found

Sure you can. I do it quite often, especially uploading a new profile pic.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

It's a site to track calories, just sayin'. Some people are only here to watch their calorie intake and could care less about the social stuff... especially when they see people in forums questioning their dedication or resolve because they didn't fill out their profiles or put up avatars.

Really, how silly is it to complain about that?

^^Agree!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i dont accept or add people that have a blank profile. Personally i think its kind of creepy. i mean if u read somethign about me that was interesting enough to add me, why shouldnt i know a little about u? makes me think of NBC online predators lol
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Really??? Go get a coffee my love :drinker:

Agreed. And to the poster above...the OP was more patronizing with her "New people.....sigh" title.

No one is here to please you, so no one needs to "convince" you they are serious.

Amen. I can't stand the attitude of some people towards 'new people'. We were all new here once. We didn't jump into this knowing all the 'social rules'.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    edit: posted, but decided my post wasn't helpful, sensible or kind so I deleted it.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    edit: posted, but decided my post wasn't helpful, sensible or kind so I deleted it.

Chicken :laugh:
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i have a friend that has been on here for a year. she has lost 50 lbs but has no picture up. i keep picking at her to do it but she hasn't. she is one of the most dedicated people i know
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Start a thread then run away? Maybe the truth hurts.
    I am dedicated...... and I will not put up my picture until I am good and ready.
    Not sure why this matters at all.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've posted before and afters in the forum, so it's quite easy for anyone to find what I look like. I just choose not to subject people to the sight of me gurning like a *kitten* every time I make a post.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

here is a quarter.

go buy some get over yourself.
  • hmlaird
    hmlaird Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Mike. I live in Norman, Oklahoma
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    o_O
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sigh!

Some of us have jobs that mean we are discouraged from posting on social forums where we may be recognised.

I am a teacher, so no profile and no piccies.

And yeah... that really does mean I can't commit or am untrustworthy, weird, creepy etc!

And to think I was called for being judgmental!

And that should have been you're, not your. Like, just sayin'
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, how about approaching this the positive way with a suggestion to newbies that they fill this out instead of being patronizing about it? Educating and helping people is a lot more beneficial to all (including yourself) than treating everyone like their idiots. You and I may know that it can be helpful but they may not realize the benefits until you kindly tell them how and why.

And as far as the avi goes - I've been here for almost 3 years and sometimes it's me and sometimes it's a meme like it is now. Everyone has their own privacy preferences, just like on FB. Who are you to judge?

Now go take a deep breath and have some chocolate or something to make you happy.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Just sayin

Because some of us only refer to MFP as a handy calories and workout monitoring tool. Also because mostly we use our mobile apps. Hard to understand I know, but some of us aren't that much in to socializing. I am consistent with monitoring my food and workoits and every once in a while I will browse the forums if I have the time.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Mike. I live in Norman, Oklahoma

how does Norman feel about this?
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 pics...none of me :-)

same- Im a private person- I enjoy the forums very much - however - I also find when a thread is going 'fine' often no on talks to one another- its a just a long thread of comments with no exchange. When someone pisses someone off- then quoting starts. See no reason to have the 'real me' out there for this sort of thing. Its working as is.

The ppl that are here for a more social aspect- like making 'friends' - they can put pics and post life stories- then those ppl can find each other and we all can have a little of what we want here.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Do not FR OP
  • sillybeachgirl
    Options
    Just because someone doesn't fill out that information has nothing to do with how dedicated they are at loosing weight, some people are not on here to meet people and make friends, some people are here to loose weight and that is it. Don't be so ignorant not everyone is the same, and a lot of people don't even come on the website, they just use the app. Loosing weight is a lot harder than just dedication, and if you knew anything about science or biology you would know that, but you just like to make stuff up in your mind and what works for you is what you think will work for everyone. get a life.