Focused on Fitness: Daily Check-In Group

Options
Recently a few of us gathered on a thread called "Hi... Health and Fitness". We're looking for others like us who are focused on getting healthy and fit - (the focus on losing weight is secondary to just getting active).

Here's a place for daily check-ins. Hopefully this will increase our accountability, expand support and motivation and be a place to have some fun and share some laughs.

Welcome aboard! Let's get MOVIN!!! :)

Replies

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    What day do you want to start and how/what do we report? Miles or time per day/per week?
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I would love to join. I don't know how though so please give me direction. I think this is a great idea!:happy: I have a competitive streak in me and this would help me be accountable to do the extra mile so to speak!

Look forward to hearing from you.
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    I would love to join but when I looked on the topics in fitness i did not see the thread. Please let me know what to do because this would be totally motivating for me.

thanks!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    What day do you want to start and how/what do we report? Miles or time per day/per week?

Umm.. I'm not much of a group leader... what about starting tomorrow? (Monday)
    And, come here to this thread to report what exercise you did for the day - what struggles / victories you experienced. Any other ideas for what to report are welcome. :)

StringsNlinks - this will be the thread - hopefully the others will come over here. Welcome!!!! Look forward to having you along.
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    This is so excellent! I usually HATE excercising on a Monday (True story... I don't know why) but now I am pumped and already have my clothes laid out for the morning.

Talk to you all tomorrow - have a good evening

~gina
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    This is so excellent! I usually HATE excercising on a Monday (True story... I don't know why) but now I am pumped and already have my clothes laid out for the morning.

Talk to you all tomorrow - have a good evening

~gina

Awesome Gina!! I look forward to hearing that you went out there and got it done! :)

I'm gonna get a jump start and post what I did for today: Intermediate PIlates (24 mins) and level 3 shred (approx. 22 mins). I was sweating my lil' heart out - and proud of myself for not having a "lazy sunday". (I was glued to the couch the entire day yesterday so figured I'd better make up for it.)

Have a great Monday...
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Glad someone started this thread :-)
    I have had to have an early lunch today but I managed to squeeze in a 20 min brisk walk to the campus shop and back (no treats bought). Hopefully I will keep on the trend of walking for at least 20 mins each lunch time. I won't get home til about 7pm tonight but I am hoping I have some motivation/energy to do any form of exercise for 15 mins
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Excellent - 20 minutes of "on purpose" exercise in already! What a great way to start the week. Any idea what you might do this evening for 15 mins?

A while back I read an article (i can't remember where) about easy ways to incorporate exercise into everyday activities. So now, when I brush my teeth, I do alternating knee raises - hold for 30 seconds each - the article said to hold the knee up for 30 seconds while you brush each quadrant. I've been doing it for a few weeks and *surprise!!* have increased balance and strength significantly. My sig. other makes fun of me and tries to push me over - it's sort of a silly game - but an EASY way to work in more fitness.

So far today,that's all I've done, but there will be more.
  • jlloyd
    Options
    Hi All

Just completed today's C25K session W4D1, 30 mins. total. Looks as if the rest of you have had good days also, Keep up the good work and I see you tomorrow.

Jlloyd
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this, I veered off course at the end of February, largely due to not exercising every day, so I am thrilled to join. Today I did a 90 minute basic flow yoga class. Normally that's all I would do today, but because of this thread I'm leaving for school early tonight and will walk around campus for 30 minutes.

BTW, I'm Karin, 53, Southern California - nice to meet you guys!
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    Hi, again thanks for letting me join in. Today (Monday,) I did the following:
    20 flights of stairs = 8 minutes
    Walking 3.0 = 27 min
    Walking 4.0 = 30 min
    Running 5.2 = 8 min
    Arm weights = 10 min
    stretching = 5 min

All this from someone who NEVER works out on Monday! Not bad - thanks for the push! off to the shower, see you tomorrow!:tongue:
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well done to every one who has started there exercise regime!
    Unfortunately I did not manage to fit in another 15 min but I have started to use the stairs to the fourth floor instead of using the lift
    :-).
    I have just got back from my 20 min brisk walk but that will be the last of my exercise today.
  • kalmf
    Options
    Okay, today is one of those days that I have nothing scheduled at all - no homework, house projects, kids appointments - nothing firm. Instead of taking it as a huge gift, I tend to fritter away these kind of days.

So..... I'm going to suck it up, take the old dogs around the block, and take the young dog up the canyon for a hike. That's my declaration!! Thanks for giving me some accountability. I'll check in when I'm done.
    Karin
  • kalmf
    Options
    Just wanted to say I did it. :smokin: I dragged the old ones and kept up with the young-un.
    Karin
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Just wanted to say I did it. :smokin: I dragged the old ones and kept up with the young-un.
    Karin

Fantastic! :) Sounds like a great way to spend part of your day - much better than wasting it away on the computer (like I tend to do sometimes). What kind of dogs do you have?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I am sad to report that yesterday, the first official day of our thread check in's, I was sick (stomach bug, cramping, bloating and overall awfulness).... so no real exercise. I am feeling better today, though a bit scared to eat.

My new HRM came in the mail today - this is my first time ever having or using one - so I'll probably report back whether or not it seems worth the purchase. It was actually a splurge - but seemed like a good reward for all of the efforts I've been putting into exercise - and now I'll be able to see if I'm over-exercising, not pushing it hard enough, etc.

So glad you are all here - this is very motivating and encouraging... so THANK YOU!:flowerforyou:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    As promised - here's my check-in for today. Went for a walk/run - first time using the new HRM and wow - what a difference in the calorie burn from what the database estimated. :happy: I burned 480 cals in 48 minutes (including a warm up walk and stretches, and cool down walk/stretches). The database had estimated a burn of about 277.

Hope the everyone has the chance to get some movement in today (stairs=good!!!) :happy:
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    today was a slow day for excercise but a busy one at work. I put on 2.63 miles (walking around 3.5 - 4.0) I also snuck in 20 flights of stairs (both up and down).

Tonight meeting a friend for her birthday so no workout but tomorrow is a full workout day. See you then!
  • jlloyd
    Options
    Hi all

Another day completed. 30 min walk at 3.5 mph, tomorrow is W4D2 C25K. Good luck to all and way to go.

jlloyd
  • kalmf
    Options
    [/quote]
    Fantastic! :) Sounds like a great way to spend part of your day - much better than wasting it away on the computer (like I tend to do sometimes). What kind of dogs do you have?
    [/quote]

Mutts are us - a cattle dog mix who's 13, a labby type mix who we just adopted last year, she's 16 and a jindo mix who's about 11. He's the young one! (We also have three cats, two chinchillas and two turtles.) And you?

Sorry, I'm still learning and can't seem to get the quote thing to work.