CARBS ARE GOOD!

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thats right i said it.

1.) Carbs are fuel, treat them as such and they will present no problem for you
    2.) no carb nazis get sick from not having carbs...proof enough?
    3.) i do realize there are bad carbs. if you need someone to tell you wheat bread is better than bleached white bread or to put down the cookie, then you have bigger problems.

While what you have said is certainly true for non-obese individuals who are very active, obese individuals have a particularly nasty set of metabolic problems that must be dealt with if they are going to get to a healthier state. It may be necessary for an obese individual to restrict carbohydrates to 60-100 grams a day in order to lose body fat. In addition, it may be essential to limit fructose consumption to 15 grams per day in order to effect fat loss as some obese people have a "toxic" reaction to the consumption of fructose---it makes them hoard their fat stores at the expense of lean tissue! :noway: Some obese individuals are able to convert blood glucose to fructose, so anything that boosts blood sugar (like simple carbs) is going to cause them problems.

My carbs are 173 grams a day. I don't think carbs are an issue for anyone, outside of a medical condition like diabetes or something.

But most obese people (and the more severely obese, the worse the situation) are "pre-diabetic" meaning that they have insulin resistance. If not addressed, insulin resistance becomes Type II diabetes in a great number of cases. Women have a worse problem than men because estrogen causes "fat hoarding" and high blood sugar/high insulin (insulin is the "fat storing hormone"). Obesity (especially "morbid obesity") is a complex metabolic problem that requires a multi-modality approach.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you don't even know your own blood type, you probably shouldn't be trying to dish out other nutritional info. Just saying. :)

Anyone who follows the blood type diet shouldn't be trying to dish out nutritional advice.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Here's some research cat lady

Ok heres the deal. ALL COMPLEX CARBS ARE TURNED TO SIMPLE SUGARS(mono-,di-, and tri- and IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT. Complex carbs are simply polymers of simple sugars that are used mainly for energy storage (starch-glycogen) and structural scaffolds (like cellulose in plants). The saliva acid in your stomach begins the breakdown of complex carbs that greatly accelerates in the stomach, where the acid initiates the hydrolysis of complex carbs (starches) into simple carbs (sugars). This process happens quickly for some foods (white rice, mashed potato, and maltodextrin) and slowly for others (barley, black beans). This is where the GI comes in. GI measures (indirectly) the hydrolysis rate of these carbs into sugars and the insulin response. THe insulin response causes enzymatic and hormonal pathways to engage which do several things in the following "priorities", 1) fuel current energy requirements, 2) synthesis of glycogen(muscle and liver) for future use, and 3) synthesize triglycerides for energy storage (make fat). If you have no current energy needs(above that which to survive) and your glycogen stores are full, all of those carbs will be converted to fat. In the metabolic pathway, the conversion of glucose to pyruvate and finally acetyl CoA is irreversible and is dependant on the concentration of glucose (which is also where the idea that fat cannot be turned into sugar originates-due to the irrevisibility of the oxidation of pyruvate). THus the more glucose that enters your blood from any type of carb, the more stimulus there is to store it as fat. THe acetyl CoA formed is then assembled in the liver to fatty acids (Why is it not metabolized? this is because insulin shuts down the oxidation of acetyl CoA), triglycerides and then stored in the adipose tissue.

Descriptive, but the bold part is important in this discussion. If you are in a calorie deficit or maintaining the above will not occur. So it will not matter when you eat your carbs since you are not going above your energy needs.

i know i acknowledge that if you are below your cal goal, you wont get fat from carbs. and therefor it doesnt matter when you eat them...

Meaning that when you eat your carbs is irrelevant. All personal preference.

I might just be lost of what the point of the post was, and if I was I apologize ^-^

I agree, there is no real point to this post, because if you are eating over your calories anyways does it really matter what it's coming from? There are plenty of fat vegetarians!

You are right. Someone told me that becoming a vegetarian was the way to lose weight. I actually GAINED a lot of weight when I was a non-vegan vegetarian. I put cheese on practically everything and I figured that I could eat as much bread and pasta as I wanted. :laugh:

On a serious note, my blood sugar went sky high and my doc advised me to go back to eating meat.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid follower of The Blood Type Diet and The Genotype Diet books from Dr. Peter D'Adamo. Since I'm an O+ blood type, I eat accordingly. It fits me to a T.

I also have systemic Candida and various food allergies/intolerances that affect my eating.

The great thing about the world we live in is, we have a choice. I'm so glad that others can not force their ideals and dogma down my throat.

I dunno my blood type

You can get it free if you give blood I think. Though I guess that is not truly "free". It cost you a pint.

I personally do not do it, but my sisters have quite a bit. There are restrictions like MEDs, and stuff. I thought I heard tattoos were one but unsure. I personally don't like needles. (Funny considering I have a tat, but that's different than blood drawing. It just hurts, blood drawing is creepy feeling)
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Still find these threads funny...

Simple response, show medical proof.

I don't care what you "think", the proof has been done and dusted. There are essential fats and essential proteins, there are however NO essential carbs and your body can produce glycogen through protein instead of carbohydrates.

You will eat carbs, that is a fact, however... don't say all carbs are equal as they aren't... Also one persons needs to another is vastly different.

During off season training and when I rest I rarely have any carbs at all, have no problem with energy etc, however during peak training, not a hell am I going through it without carbs. for instance 80-100km a week for peak training, your body can only absorb so much protein! However carbs your body will happily eat up! So carb away for things like that... So your right, carbs for fuel is the point.

Point is, your body can happily for ever live without carbs, maybe you wont feel 100%, but you will be happy and will manage just fine. If on the other hand you eat no fat or protein, well... you'll die... that make more sense? Your body can make the fuel it gets from carbs from protein. And after a while, your metabolism adapts. Give it a month. If you haven't, then you haven't even tried.

Also I do ultra marathons and hate carbs in general.. I have them, but only as needed as fuel when NEEDED, not just to have because there is no point in them except for quick recovery.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I don't care what you "think", the proof has been done and dusted. There are essential fats and essential proteins, there are however NO essential carbs and your body can produce glycogen through protein instead of carbohydrates.

You will eat carbs, that is a fact, however... don't say all carbs are equal as they aren't... Also one persons needs to another is vastly different.

During off season training and when I rest I rarely have any carbs at all, have no problem with energy etc, however during peak training, not a hell am I going through it without carbs. for instance 80-100km a week for peak training, your body can only absorb so much protein! However carbs your body will happily eat up! So carb away for things like that... So your right, carbs for fuel is the point.

Point is, your body can happily for ever live without carbs, maybe you wont feel 100%, but you will be happy and will manage just fine. If on the other hand you eat no fat or protein, well... you'll die... that make more sense? Your body can make the fuel it gets from carbs from protein. And after a while, your metabolism adapts. Give it a month. If you haven't, then you haven't even tried.

Also I do ultra marathons and hate carbs in general.. I have them, but only as needed as fuel when NEEDED, not just to have because there is no point in them except for quick recovery.

You are correct and the newest research bears out what you have said. Excessive carbohydrates are especially dangerous for women (because of their hormones and smaller, less muscular body mass) and have led to the epidemics of fatty liver, "metabolic syndrome" Type II diabetes, and so on, that we see in the general population. While high performance athletes will not perform at their best without a ready supply of carbohydrates, most of us can do quite well on a smallish amount of carbohydrates. There is a condition called "wheat belly" that comes from consuming a lot of wheat. In the past, when getting enough calories was the problem for most people, grain was an essential way to store calories for periods of famine. Now, eating grain is problematic---especially the modern wheats that were bred to yield the highest level of gluten. There is no particularly compelling reason for most of us to eat grain---and certainly no reason at all for eating processed sugar. It is giving the nation a host of chronic, very-costly-to-treat, ailments.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what anyone says. If you don't eat fat you will die. If you don't eat protein you will die. If you don't eat carbs you will... well nothing because you don't need them.
    Not a damn thing wrong with them if your body can deal with them. If you are diabetic, metabolic syndrome, etc you will be better off without them.

Idiots are the ones who insist they are right no matter what is presented to them. Both sides of the carb debate are wrong and the truth lies in your own body and how it deals with them.

I don't care if you don't agree with high carb or low carb, you are right for you and wrong for someone else.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Only read through the last 2 pages but that was plenty. Carbs aren't good. Carbs aren't bad. They are just the 3rd priority macrontrient. Something to be managed according to your goals and preferences. Nothing more. Nothing less.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    It doesn't matter what anyone says. If you don't eat fat you will die. If you don't eat protein you will die. If you don't eat carbs you will... well nothing because you don't need them.
    Not a damn thing wrong with them if your body can deal with them. If you are diabetic, metabolic syndrome, etc you will be better off without them.

Idiots are the ones who insist they are right no matter what is presented to them. Both sides of the carb debate are wrong and the truth lies in your own body and how it deals with them.

I don't care if you don't agree with high carb or low carb, you are right for you and wrong for someone else.

Correct. Carbs are fine, healthy and good for some people. For nordic skiers (or any endurance athletes), they are an important source of calories to keep going, But for the obese, particularly obese women, it is very important to restrict them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no particularly compelling reason for most of us to eat grain---and certainly no reason at all for eating processed sugar.

There is no compelling reason for most of us to avoid eating grain - and certainly no reason to ban smallish amounts of sucrose from your diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If you don't even know your own blood type, you probably shouldn't be trying to dish out other nutritional info. Just saying. :)

:huh:

Not sure how I missed this one earlier, but yeah, wtf?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Thats right i said it.

1.) Carbs are fuel, treat them as such and they will present no problem for you
    2.) no carb nazis get sick from not having carbs...proof enough?
    3.) i do realize there are bad carbs. if you need someone to tell you wheat bread is better than bleached white bread or to put down the cookie, then you have bigger problems.

While what you have said is certainly true for non-obese individuals who are very active, obese individuals have a particularly nasty set of metabolic problems that must be dealt with if they are going to get to a healthier state. It may be necessary for an obese individual to restrict carbohydrates to 60-100 grams a day in order to lose body fat. In addition, it may be essential to limit fructose consumption to 15 grams per day in order to effect fat loss as some obese people have a "toxic" reaction to the consumption of fructose---it makes them hoard their fat stores at the expense of lean tissue! :noway: Some obese individuals are able to convert blood glucose to fructose, so anything that boosts blood sugar (like simple carbs) is going to cause them problems.

My carbs are 173 grams a day. I don't think carbs are an issue for anyone, outside of a medical condition like diabetes or something.

But most obese people (and the more severely obese, the worse the situation) are "pre-diabetic" meaning that they have insulin resistance. If not addressed, insulin resistance becomes Type II diabetes in a great number of cases. Women have a worse problem than men because estrogen causes "fat hoarding" and high blood sugar/high insulin (insulin is the "fat storing hormone"). Obesity (especially "morbid obesity") is a complex metabolic problem that requires a multi-modality approach.

I don't believe that to be true.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Anyone who follows the blood type diet shouldn't be trying to dish out nutritional advice.

Oh. Now I see why that person put that about knowing your blood type. Too funny! :laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    BUMP! JUST CUZ I STILL SEE NO CARB PEOPLE CHATTIN IT UP.

You sound insecure, you may need to relax a little, it's good for general health you know :)
  • tidetevo
    tidetevo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump:noway:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly veggies. I love carbs so much and I have lost 71 lbs. WOOOOO! Carbs!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Prepping to eat a half of pizza tonight. Yay lift days!
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options

You are correct and the newest research bears out what you have said. Excessive carbohydrates are especially dangerous for women (because of their hormones and smaller, less muscular body mass) and have led to the epidemics of fatty liver, "metabolic syndrome" Type II diabetes, and so on, that we see in the general population. While high performance athletes will not perform at their best without a ready supply of carbohydrates, most of us can do quite well on a smallish amount of carbohydrates. There is a condition called "wheat belly" that comes from consuming a lot of wheat. In the past, when getting enough calories was the problem for most people, grain was an essential way to store calories for periods of famine. Now, eating grain is problematic---especially the modern wheats that were bred to yield the highest level of gluten. There is no particularly compelling reason for most of us to eat grain---and certainly no reason at all for eating processed sugar. It is giving the nation a host of chronic, very-costly-to-treat, ailments.

You guys are absolutely correct. I have been 'pre-diabetic' for a few years, and when I eat sugary, bread, or carbs from fruit I feel ill, but veggie carbs don't bother me at all. It's how YOUR body metabolizes the carbs. I choose to live a low carb lifestyle and I am losing weight again and feeling much better!! So not all carbs are good carbs ... no blanket statement for everyone works.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you aren't insulin resistant, I personally don't see any reason to avoid carbs. But people can do whatever they want. I just hate it when people try to tell me how unhealthy it is to eat carbs.

My favorite food is pasta and I enjoy it every day. I am a high-fiber, whole-grain carb girl for sure - it's my primary macro. I try to avoid as much refined sugar and processed crap as possible, though. That's just garbage. Those are the trouble makers that give good carbs a bad reputation. My blood sugar is perfect, my cholesterol and blood pressure are in the healthy range, I am 5'7" and 130 pounds with 23% body fat, a 27 inch waist and I'm almost 40 years old. I think I'm doing just fine on carbs! :drinker:

P.S. I have no personal stake in other people's food choices, so feel free to eat low carb if you like - I give you my blessing. :wink:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Carbs help with leptin uptake.
    Thats fat loss.
    most folk who go "low carb" lose the fat but have bounce back issues with gaining some/all/more fat back once eating a regular balanced diet.
    Why go through that if you can just eat in moderation.
    Now if you have some type of allergy to a certain type of carb then fine.
    Do what you can to cut what you need.
    But for fat loss, carbs are fantastic!