what's made you see red at the gym?

Options
So, I am still harboring some ill feelings, but it will pass eventually :wink:

While I was lifting the other day a lady, most likely in her 60's wearing jeans and a fancy blouse, decided to school me on the weight room manners...

lady: "will you please stop being so loud?!"

Me: "I'm sorry, but its hard to be quiet when lifting heavy. I didn't do it on purpose."

Lady: "WELL, MOST OF US AROUND HERE ARE NOT TRYING TO BE MACHO AND LIFT TOO MUCH WEIGHT!! Can you PLEASE STOP!"

me: ............" Uh... ok?"

And lady then goes around the gym complaining about me to the other grandmas while I finished my workout... steaming mad.

What has happened at the gym to make you see red?!?

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Technically there are rules against loud grunting but lady needs to get with the program and invest in some headphones and an IPod.
    I hate when people don't put back the equipment where it belongs when they are finished with it. I feel like saying "Didn't your mother teach you how to put your toys away or what!?" but the answer is obvious
  • AmyScraymee
    AmyScraymee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LOL I think a little grunting is OK, the weight is heavy you're working hard, but I know body builders that would pretty much scream like tennis players every rep, it was disturbing and everyone would be looking at each other like WTF. I'm sure you're not that bad though. Old ladies just like to complain.

Things that make me see red:
    When people are sitting on a machine I want to use having a chat to the person on the machine next to it... this is not a cafe, go away.

When people dumbell hoard. They take 5 different weighted sets of dumbells and store them under their bench and don'y share. GRRR

When people camp out on weights machines for like 40 minutes, this is just silly. Go do a pump class or something.

When I put my towel and bottle in the squat cage and go and get plates to put on the bar and someone takes it and claims they were there first. This drives me insane.

When people try to give you advice and you didn't ask for it. Like maybe there are different techniques and I chose to do it this way, leave me alone, don't tell me I'm wrong.

There is like a million more but I think I should stop. I do feel better, off to the gym, just breath :P
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah little old ladies frequently get bent out of shape about loud noises in the weight room. there was one bent over lady who came over to me to yell at me about letting weights drop. i then said i lift heavy weights so i wont end up all hunchbacked and with osteoporosis like her. think she came up to me again? :laugh: nope.

the lat thing that really pised me off at the gym was the person who refills their 2 litter water bottle to the brim while there's a line of people waiting to just tack a SIP from the only working water fountain on the floor. tonight there was like 8 of us waiting in line while some mofo filled his frigging big gulp sized bottle :explode:
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Loud talkers on the treadmills.

That and folks who don't put back the heavy plates on the barbells and I have to do it.

And if anyone gets the swiss ball that is the right size for me and I have to wait.

Mostly thought it is all fine because I am there so super early that there is little competition except from a few men who are older and very polite and leave me to my workouts.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Lol! I can relate to all of these! especially when ppl don't put equipment away. I end up doing it in a huff just so I can workout In My happy place.

But funny thing was I wasn't grunting... It was weights dropping. NOT THROWING THEM! I wish I would have thought of the osteoporosis line!!! Classic :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Saw some guy doing silly **** with the barbell on his back where he would sit down and stand back up.
    do some curls or get out of the curl rack, idiot!!!
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    OMG....these all cracked me up!!!! Here are mine......like someone else said....advice, when I didn't ask for it. Someone who wants to chit chat and expects me to stop what I'm doing, take out my ear buds and chat back....NOOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm there to work out, its not a social for me. And my BIGGEST pet peeve of all is when someone points out to me the fact that I'm overweight....REALLY, thanks, because I didn't notice and hhhhmmmm.....guess that is why I'm at the gym!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Saw some guy doing silly **** with the barbell on his back where he would sit down and stand back up.
    do some curls or get out of the curl rack, idiot!!!

This made me LOL!

Why is the OP working out at an old folk's home?
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Tonight a lady was mean to me in a class. I don't understand why some people feel the need to cut other people down for no reason. We were in HEAT class (circuits and running laps. it's hard) We were only in the warmup and she commented with her face all scrunched up that if I'm sweating already maybe I better take an easier class. I told her I don't need an easier class. I also informed her that I was sweating because I'd already been working out for 3 hours and I had just finished doing 12 miles. She rolled her eyes at me and said she was just trying to help. I replied that I didn't ask for or want her "help" and that if she knew how hard it was for someone 285 lbs to come into a hard class like this and do their best among the fit people then she would probably keep her opinions to herself. She walked away with her tail between her legs. I was smug later when I noticed she had to sit out for at least one circuit because she was having a hard time keeping up. Who needs the easier class now? She was looking pretty sweaty too. I didn't even care when she was talking about me to her friend during the cool down. You know what? I'd love to see her try to do just one of my workouts.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    OMG how could i forget about the fools who bicep curl in the SQUAT rack :explode: not only that but it's always something like 10 sets of 20.

at my old gym in NYC it would really annoy me how if you just so happened to make any type of eye contact with any of the 5011 personal trainers stalking the floor, they'd immediately come up to you to tell you a variation on whatever exercise you're doing and then talk about how you should workout with them and what they offer and how much the sessions are blah blah blah. uugh they would make me wish i had sand in my water bottle so i could throw it in their faces and run away
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Lol! I can relate to all of these! especially when ppl don't put equipment away. I end up doing it in a huff just so I can workout In My happy place.

But funny thing was I wasn't grunting... It was weights dropping. NOT THROWING THEM! I wish I would have thought of the osteoporosis line!!! Classic :)

To be honest though, I do think its a little rude/weird when people always drop their weights after a set and it makes a crazy loud boom. I always think, if its too heavy for you to put down maybe you should go lighter? Lol I guess its to each their own huh?
    I would never say that to someone though. Its asking for bachi/karma and I would not want anyone treating my family member or me that way.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would've told her to bite me.

I can't afford the gym anymore but I go running or cycling every day. When construction workers say obscene things as I run past I ream them out. My threshold for things like that is about as low as it can get. Maybe I wouldn't have told an old lady to bite me when I had my fancy gym membership but I'd do it in an instant now. I'm getting in shape and won't tolerate anyone else's bs while I do it.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    Tonight a lady was mean to me in a class. I don't understand why some people feel the need to cut other people down for no reason. We were in HEAT class (circuits and running laps. it's hard) We were only in the warmup and she commented with her face all scrunched up that if I'm sweating already maybe I better take an easier class. I told her I don't need an easier class. I also informed her that I was sweating because I'd already been working out for 3 hours and I had just finished doing 12 miles. She rolled her eyes at me and said she was just trying to help. I replied that I didn't ask for or want her "help" and that if she knew how hard it was for someone 285 lbs to come into a hard class like this and do their best among the fit people then she would probably keep her opinions to herself. She walked away with her tail between her legs. I was smug later when I noticed she had to sit out for at least one circuit because she was having a hard time keeping up. Who needs the easier class now? She was looking pretty sweaty too. I didn't even care when she was talking about me to her friend during the cool down. You know what? I'd love to see her try to do just one of my workouts.

Wow, that is so uncalled for! I wonder what she thought?! Good on you for staying cool headed and finishing that workout while she was so nosy!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When people don't put equipment back....

and those arses that like to talk on the phone while working out.... seriously.... you're there to work out, not update your Twitter/Facebook or have loud conversations and ruining other's gym-time....

and the grunting-thing.... generally I just laugh, cause it's kind of funny sometimes, but I've been to gym's where they set off sirens every-time someone grunt's loudly/tries to draw attention to themselves... It only takes once to say the least....

but mainly it's the cell phone thing
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    OMG....these all cracked me up!!!! Here are mine......like someone else said....advice, when I didn't ask for it. Someone who wants to chit chat and expects me to stop what I'm doing, take out my ear buds and chat back....NOOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm there to work out, its not a social for me. And my BIGGEST pet peeve of all is when someone points out to me the fact that I'm overweight....REALLY, thanks, because I didn't notice and hhhhmmmm.....guess that is why I'm at the gym!!

I've had that happen before :explode:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

To be honest though, I do think its a little rude/weird when people always drop their weights after a set and it makes a crazy loud boom. I always think, if its too heavy for you to put down maybe you should go lighter? Lol I guess its to each their own huh?
    I would never say that to someone though. Its asking for bachi/karma and I would not want anyone treating my family member or me that way.

but it's called weight LIFTING not weight PUTTING DOWN :laugh:

at my regular gym, i drop my weights only when i work with dumbbells or the actual weight plates since they are smaller and wont damage the weight plates. it' almost always when i'm doing something like a tumminello complex where i'm doing a bunch a different exercise with the 25 pound weight plate for time. i'd never drop the barbell though because they only have the harder weight plates

at my crossfit gym i drop weights all the time but that's because 1) they use the cool rubber ones that bounce and 2)after you've 30 cleans and presses putting that mess down in a lady like fashion is the last thing on your mind
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options

but it's called weight LIFTING not weight PUTTING DOWN :laugh:

at my regular gym, i drop my weights only when i work with dumbbells or the actual weight plates since they are smaller and wont damage the weight plates. it' almost always when i'm doing something like a tumminello complex where i'm doing a bunch a different exercise with the 25 pound weight plate for time. i'd never drop the barbell though because they only have the harder weight plates

at my crossfit gym i drop weights all the time but that's because 1) they use the cool rubber ones that bounce and 2)after you've 30 cleans and presses putting that mess down in a lady like fashion is the last thing on your mind

Lol. I swear though, some people at my gym (normally guys) do it on purpose in addition to a loud burst of energetic whooping or noise. I feel like they just want attention! I can understand the fatigue thing though.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well the one thing that makes me really irritated and has become somewhat of a trend at my gym lately is when people come in dressed in regular street clothes *WITH FOOD* (last time it was ice cream and a bag of chips I believe) and sit on the weight machines to watch tv. :noway:

First off there is a pretty hard to miss sign declaring NO FOOD on the door to get in. and secondly work out or GTFO!!! It is a gym not your f**king living room!!! Last Sunday it was some couple who came in to watch the Walking Dead. ._. okay it is a good show and all but really -_- (my apartment building has a gym)

And then of course when you ask em to move they get all pissy at you. oh sorry for interrupting your show!! :mad:

OHHHHHHHH and another fun trend is when people decide to bring their young children to the gym. :grumble: Again right by that cute little NO FOOD sign there is also a "no persons under 18 yo is permitted" Yet still there are times when people bring in like 4 of their kids who are like 5-9 years old and they're just everywhere!! That isn't safe! >_<
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I accept that no one is going to smell great when they're working out hard,

But some of the guys at my gym, i just don't understand how they can't be aware of how bad they smell. One guy has atleast a 5 metre radius of stench, he clears the entire weights area - perhaps that was his plan? Its horrid.