"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I assume that you rode the guilt trip to the fullest extent, why else would you have posted the question rather than keeping very quiet about it and hoping, against hope, that the scales wouldn't punish you in the morning?

It is the nature of such 'sinful eating' that the taste sensation of so much flavour would be followed by an extended period of remorse, heading for guilt-driven self-loathing - followed by depression as the over production of insulin scours every trace of glucose from your circulation leaving you like a limp rag heading for a state akin to surgical shock.

In the 'olden days' when General Anaesthetics were commonplace in the high street surgery situation patients would assume that they had to fast before coming for a tooth extraction - no blood sugar + local analgesic injection = patient faints.

As for If It Fits Your Macros - in what way does THREE Waffles plus syrup (?maple, golden, corn - whatever) fit within a daily carbohydrate control regime?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

What food contains 75 grams of protein and only has 300 calories?

egg whites, protein powder

Protein powder isn't food,and egg whites are only half a food, so they don't count in my book.

It still has calories / protein in it, so it should still be counted. And egg whites are still food too. If people just keep saying some things "just dont count" wed all be over weight.

You missed the point of the original question. There is no "real food" that provides that much protein with so few calories. (Technically you can count egg whites as real food, but I consider it half a food because the yolks are the best part.) Protein powder is not really food at all, not anymore than Nestle Quik can be called food. It's a powder that you have to add to a liquid in order to turn it into a food/beverage.

My point is that the biggest source of protein is meat. Meat also comes with varying degrees of fat, which adds to the total calorie count.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think it is psychological. But honestly... did you eat all three waffles at once? That much food will make anybody sick whether you are eating waffles or celery sticks.

That's not true. Before MFP, I usually ate 4-5 waffles loaded with butter and syrup. Now I eat 3 and 1/4 cup of syrup and just a pat of butter on top. Three waffles is NOT very much actually.

I don't think I ever could have eaten three waffles at once and not feel sick, but this still just supports my theory that it is psychological.

When people make a lifestyle choice, and then return to old habits, and feel sick. It's not the food because the food didn't make you feel sick before. It's your brain telling you that this goes against a decision you have made for yourself.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    As for If It Fits Your Macros - in what way does THREE Waffles plus syrup (?maple, golden, corn - whatever) fit within a daily carbohydrate control regime?

Three waffles and 1/4 cup of syrup is only half of my daily carbs. How low are your carbs that you can't fit in a waffle breakfast from time to time?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think it is psychological. But honestly... did you eat all three waffles at once? That much food will make anybody sick whether you are eating waffles or celery sticks.

That's not true. Before MFP, I usually ate 4-5 waffles loaded with butter and syrup. Now I eat 3 and 1/4 cup of syrup and just a pat of butter on top. Three waffles is NOT very much actually.

I don't think I ever could have eaten three waffles at once and not feel sick, but this still just supports my theory that it is psychological.

When people make a lifestyle choice, and then return to old habits, and feel sick. It's not the food because the food didn't make you feel sick before. It's your brain telling you that this goes against a decision you have made for yourself.

FTR, my lifestyle choice is to not eat too much food.

I agree that feeling sick is probably just psychological. I should have been more clear with my comment.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not really food at all, not anymore than Nestle Quik can be called food. It's a powder that you have to add to a liquid in order to turn it into a food/beverage.

WRONG! Whey is a dairy product. Protein powder is simply dehydrated. Just because water has been removed doesn't mean that whey stopped being food. This is no different the orange juice from concentrate or tomato paste. These are concentrated forms of food. They can contain more nutritional value for less or equivalent calories.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    not being from 'The Colonies' it just doesn't figure at all - but it certainly doesn't fit within my concept of a calorie controlled diet plan
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    What? Syrup? Nutrients? You ate non-complex carbs x 3. Of course you'll feel gross, sluggish, brain-foggy. It's the waffle, not the syrup, I can almost guarantee.
    Sure, other than the fact that waffles are complex carbs... It always amuses me when people use terms without having a clue what they actually mean.

Most people have no clue. Yes, it is quite amusing. And sometimes, it's just plain sad.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    What? Syrup? Nutrients? You ate non-complex carbs x 3. Of course you'll feel gross, sluggish, brain-foggy. It's the waffle, not the syrup, I can almost guarantee.
    Sure, other than the fact that waffles are complex carbs... It always amuses me when people use terms without having a clue what they actually mean.

Most people have no clue. Yes, it is quite amusing. And sometimes, it's just plain sad.
    - but we're not the ones feeling sick!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Protein powder is not really food at all, not anymore than Nestle Quik can be called food. It's a powder that you have to add to a liquid in order to turn it into a food/beverage.

WRONG! Whey is a dairy product. Protein powder is simply dehydrated. Just because water has been removed doesn't mean that whey stopped being food. This is no different the orange juice from concentrate or tomato paste. These are concentrated forms of food. They can contain more nutritional value for less or equivalent calories.

It is a powder. I don't consider concentrated juice to be a food either. You have to add water to it to turn it into juice. These are all what you would call "heavily processed."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using it as a supplement, but it *is* a supplement, not food.

My original question was what *FOOD* can provide only protein as an ingredient. That was the question. There has yet to be an answer to it. A supplement is not a food.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it isn't real food.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm no.
    Because every time I have a popcorn/soda night.... I always seem to gain a little more the next morning... unless I'm retaining water weight or something... but it always happens. Even if I'm under my calorie goal.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

So, because one person doesn't feel good after eating waffles, they must be avoided for anyone who is "dieting"? By that line of thinking, all people must avoid eating fish as well - because I don't feel good when I eat seafood.

I can eat 3 waffles and feel nothing but wonderful. It's personal preference. And yes, I can make waffles fit in my macros.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't feel sick either. Feeling sick has nothing to do with understanding the carbohydrate macro-nutrient.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    not being from 'The Colonies' it just doesn't figure at all - but it certainly doesn't fit within my concept of a calorie controlled diet plan

At first you said carbs, now you are talking about calories. Your total calories affects how many grams of each macro you can eat. This is about eating the right balance of food, without going overboard on the "clean eating" bandwagon.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Hmmmmmm no.
    Because every time I have a popcorn/soda night.... I always seem to gain a little more the next morning... unless I'm retaining water weight or something... but it always happens. Even if I'm under my calorie goal.
    Do you have butter and salt on the popcorn? - that might do it. Popcorn isn't intrinsically BAD, it's what you put with it to make it edible. Eating popcorn unadorned would be slightly less palatable the box it comes in, in my opinion.
    On the other hand, fizzy pop tends to have a diuretic effect on me. - which can be useful.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing "IIFYTYCEATT"

Which is nice.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Right now I am doing "IIFYTYCEALT"

Which is nice.
    right now I am Googling 'IIFYTYCEALT' - which fills up some time after lunch
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Which is nice.

Well, it would help if I hadn't buggered up the acronym.

That will learn me for trying to be uppity...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hmmmmmm no.
    Do you have butter and salt on the popcorn? - that might do it. Popcorn isn't intrinsically BAD, it's what you put with it to make it edible. Eating popcorn unadorned would be slightly less palatable the box it comes in, in my opinion.
    On the other hand, fizzy pop tends to have a diuretic effect on me. - which can be useful.

Pop is the one thing that I quit when I started MFP. Sometimes I take a sip off my kids' pop. but to me, I'd rather eat waffles than drink pop! :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Which is nice.

Well, it would help if I hadn't buggered up the acronym.

That will learn me for trying to be uppity...

Ok, Google failed me. I don't get that acronym. :ohwell: