Gluten is the Devil

Options
14567810»

Replies

• newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have to admit- I would have thought the wheat belly book- its quack doctor and all the jazz that goes with it would have been debunked by this forum a long time ago. Someone told me about wheat belly almost a year ago- swore it cured everything from eye sight to bad breath to every other little ache and pain in the body.

Now the OP- is obviously well versed in nutrition and I would have thought hes perfected his diet- so I am surprised he feels its done him well to rid the body of wheat/glutton. Given the proof of better health- I wont argue. Im too lazy to post other links whose OPINION is the wheat belly book is just another diet scam - google will show you the many pages of that accusation.

As others have said- wheat is hardly everyone's enemy. I am constantly thankful I can eat with no ill effects a BALANCED diet.. that include wheat bread now and again and so many other things where glutton sneaks in.

We know a good diet will lead to good health. If its NOT working- then taking out a food group (for some its dairy, others wheat) may be the answer. I will remain skeptical of any advice that says totally remove any food for better health. Sure processed, garbage, sugar in large doses and pretty much any food in too large of quantities should be managed -but removing a food or food group- personally I dont believe its necessary. But if it fixes one's ills- perhaps it becomes paramount.

Another thing I question- is most ppl I know that go glutton free are only glutton free when its convenient for them. If they are out and there are no glutton free choices - they'll just eat what we're all having. If they are in a situation where they'll miss something fun or yummy they act like a martyr and eat it anyway "hoping" it doesnt give them a reaction. If one truly had a problem- they truly would never eat the offending food.

So this also causes the whole -no wheat/glutton thing- to leave me cold. I know there are ppl with things like celiac that truly can not have wheat- and they never do- they read all labels and will eat almost nothing at events where they are screwed with no choices. Those ppl I feel for and admire when they navigate this problem. Ppl that 'dabble' in a health faze- never really sticking to it- only helps perpetuate the bad vibes around things like wheat belly- not saying this is the case with OP at all of course.. just sayin'
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I have to admit- I would have thought the wheat belly book- its quack doctor and all the jazz that goes with it would have been debunked by this forum a long time ago. Someone told me about wheat belly almost a year ago- swore it cured everything from eye sight to bad breath to every other little ache and pain in the body.

Now the OP- is obviously well versed in nutrition and I would have thought hes perfected his diet- so I am surprised he feels its done him well to rid the body of wheat/glutton. Given the proof of better health- I wont argue. Im too lazy to post other links whose OPINION is the wheat belly book is just another diet scam - google will show you the many pages of that accusation.

As others have said- wheat is hardly everyone's enemy. I am constantly thankful I can eat with no ill effects a BALANCED diet.. that include wheat bread now and again and so many other things where glutton sneaks in.

We know a good diet will lead to good health. If its NOT working- then taking out a food group (for some its dairy, others wheat) may be the answer. I will remain skeptical of any advice that says totally remove any food for better health. Sure processed, garbage, sugar in large doses and pretty much any food in too large of quantities should be managed -but removing a food or food group- personally I dont believe its necessary. But if it fixes one's ills- perhaps it becomes paramount.

Another thing I question- is most ppl I know that go glutton free are only glutton free when its convenient for them. If they are out and there are no glutton free choices - they'll just eat what we're all having. If they are in a situation where they'll miss something fun or yummy they act like a martyr and eat it anyway "hoping" it doesnt give them a reaction. If one truly had a problem- they truly would never eat the offending food.

So this also causes the whole -no wheat/glutton thing- to leave me cold. I know there are ppl with things like celiac that truly can not have wheat- and they never do- they read all labels and will eat almost nothing at events where they are screwed with no choices. Those ppl I feel for and admire when they navigate this problem. Ppl that 'dabble' in a health faze- never really sticking to it- only helps perpetuate the bad vibes around things like wheat belly- not saying this is the case with OP at all of course.. just sayin'
    Diet fads are exactly that, fads. And I am the living embodiment of the "anti-fad." I have always maintained that the only "key" to becoming/staying fit is a lifestyle that includes an @ssload of exercise, healthy living and eating well. Period.

That said, I have been begrudgingly converted on the "genetically engineered gluten is bad" mindset. I do believe however, that natural, non-genetically engineered wheat is probably healthy for a vast majority of people.

I also believe that I have either an allergy, or a heightened sensitivity to gluten. Further, I think my condition is much more common than most people realize.

Mostly, I just like writing really funny, informative *kitten*. ;)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bump for better read from a gluten free sufferer!
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have skin issues from eating gluten? I have eczema which causes my fingertips to crack. It is extremely painful and I have been to the doctor several times. Docs usually give me steroid cream for my hands. Steroids don't seem to prevent cracks, so I tried bandaids, tape, new skin, etc. to no avail. They help, but skin just cracks again. Anyway, I went on a low carb diet last month and my fingers healed. I didn't even realize it immediately and when I did realize it wasn't sure there was a relationship. Then went off low carb and fissures started forming again. Started gluten free 4 days ago, and fingers are healing again.

For those complaining about doctors, I do feel my doctor would rather treat the symptoms than try to determine the cause. Actually I've had several doctors like that. One said we may never know the cause as he wrote a scrip for prednisone. Another gave me a scrip for elidel. After reading the warnings on that stuff, I decided I'd rather not use it. I asked for referral to allergy or dermatologist, and was ignored.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Reluctantly, I agreed to try a little experiment, mostly because my wife keeps both my spine and testicles in her nightstand, and she said I could have them back for a few hours, if I agreed. Excited at the prospect of being allowed to be a man for a brief stay, I went gluten-free for three (3) days.

lmao
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have no opinion on whether or not gluten is bad for everyone, and it's not a battle I want to fight, but for those saying they gave up bread and pasta and felt no different, keep in mind that gluten is in much more than just those things. Salad dressings, meat substitutes, candy, even some spices, soy sauce, soup, trail mixes, fried vegetables, etc. It's also not just found in what most people think of as wheat. Rye, barley. The jury is out on oats though it is suspected some struggle more because of cross contamination. It's so bad that the Mayo Clinic actually advises avoiding a really long list of things unless labeled gluten free.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

So again, just cutting out bread and pasta tells you nothing about whether or not you went gluten free.

Excellent point!
  • astamu92
    astamu92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • astamu92
    astamu92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lol. fabulous. I love your humor.

I also had a similar experience with gluten. I was a vegetarian, a healthy one, for several years while in college. After graduating, I started developing really bad heartburn. I mean BAD, cant breathe/function, bad. I've always had some degree of heart burn even previously when eating meat, but it was out of control. Long story short, dr's kept trying new tests and giving me more and more acid reflux meds and nothing worked. I read that cutting out gluten could help so I tried it and BAM! with in 2 days I was 100% heartburn free---a feeling I'd never ever experienced!

A year later, my blood chemistry is improved and i'm leaner and feel wonderful. Best of all, no heartburn!

Not everyone may be as sensitive to gluten as you or me, but its worth a try for some with particular ailments. Usually, the difference is seen immediately!

bump