What do you replace chips with?

Options

Replies

• lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    make your own zuccini chips, mmmmmm. or roast some chick peas, spice them up, those are tasty. Also, popcorn (not loaded with butter) is not too terrible for you. Pistachios! Salty and fatty tasting, just like chips.
  • pallypunch
    Options
    There are some homemade recipes out there (I haven't tried to make them myself yet, but the plan is to try to make them soon):

Collard Chips (recipe from wine club: a bag of collard greens, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp sea salt)

Coconut Sesame Baked Brown Rice Chips (recipe from nutritionist: 1 package of brown rice tortillas - Whole Foods & TJ's has them- and I just picked a bag up this weekend & hope to make these on Thursday, coconut oil, sesame seeds. Preheat oven to 350, spread oil on both sides of tortillas, pat sesame seeds into them so they stick, cut them up and bake them for about 6 - 7 minutes).
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's, I like their Snap Pea Crisps, they are sometimes labeled as Inner Peas; 150 calories for a serving. Kale chips are an amazing healthy substitute as well!

I wanna steal your avi so hard. *dreamy stares*

Learn to pop your own corn.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    chips - just fewer of them

generally this, I'll just have a serving instead of half the bag! Also, I do occasionally get the baked versions cuz I find them tasty, especially baked cheetos.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Kale chips or roasted seaweed. Both salty and greasy, and if you make your own kale chips you can flavor them with what you want. I like Cajun style!
  • shaglund01
    Options
    i've heard Kale chips (homemade) are easy and delish.
  • Amberry123
    Amberry123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You should try Special K cracker chips! I also love tortilla chips and salsa so I buy the cheddar flavour cracker chips and dip them in salsa, they're awesome.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but KALE!!!!!!!!!!! 4 cups for Kale is LESS THAN HALF the calories of FIFTEEN chips!! Just spread 4 cups on a baking sheet spray with some olive oil spray (like PAM), sprinkle some spices, (sal/pepper/cayenne, whatever) and back for like 6-9 minutes..it comes out CRISPY JUST LIKE CHIPS! I was skeptical myself, but its true! IT WORKS!!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Veggie chips!!! 38 of them for 140 calories :)
  • leahbeth74
    Options
    Rice crackers are a great substitute
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Plantain chips.. not to confused with dry banana...
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am gonna try the kale chips. I just tried the special K cracker chips and they will do, not fantastic, but good enough to work. I will be trying Kale this week too!

and I ♥ plantains!! Although, with my cuban boyfriend, they are usually fried in our house.......
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i eat "in snax pita chips", cinnamon brown sugar flavoured, they are basically baked pita chips with awesome flavours!!! I am a BIG chip person, love love love them, havent had any since i discovered these :smile:
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I for one, love sweet potato chips!
  • Meribeth928
    Options
    Sensible Portions veggie straws or poatato straws....they have different flavors and 38 only have 130 calories
  • glad2bjar
    glad2bjar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    baked doritos! i love them.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i crave salty/savory/crunchy. salt and vinegar kettle cooked chips are MY FAV.

although spicy things will tend to be very high in sodium, they help me from reaching for the chip bag. i like snacking on some pickled pepperoncini sometimes. and i absolutely LOVE cucumber/onion salad. all the tang, none of the calories or sodium. but one thing i also really really like is edamame sauteed in a tablespoon of spicy korean sauce. i like Annie Chung's. and though its not a crunchy option, a piece of string cheese sometimes hits the spot, with it having fat and protein it has good satiety. hummus and celery stalks are great too.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I like celery with hummus -- it is salty and gives me that crispy crunch that I love about tortilla and potato chips. I also love stovetop homemade popcorn with baked kale, taco seasoning, salt and nutritional yeast sprinkled on top! Tastes a little like Doritos ;-)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    popchips,baked lays, pita chips, special K crackers, popcorn, mini rice cakes, pretzel chips, apple chips, apple cinnamon sticks (from trader joes 38 for 140 cals)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds, sweet potato chips, kale "chips"