what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    D-bags who make lots of noise so people will look at them
    People who grab dumbbells off the rack and proceed to use them right in front of the rack.
    Using the cages for things other than squatting and DL'ing when there's people waiting.
    Creepy dudes who stare at me.
    People who walk around talking loudly on their phones.
    People who think it's ok to use multiple pieces of equipment at once when it's busy
    Useless trainers running newbs through useless workouts.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    one of my fav's is when some one sits on the exercise bike for an hour sweating all to hell then gets up leaving a ton of *kitten* sweat on the seat and doesnt wipe it off...thats just nasty!!!

I can't believe it took until halfway down the second page for someone to mention a REAL pet peeve at the gym. I loathe people who don't wipe down the gear after they are done. I work out at a Y and they have not only paper towels but also disinfectant bottles everywhere. It takes 10 seconds, people! Wipe your nastiness off the machine!

OMG this is my peeve. Just last night we were at the gym and the man on the TM before me gets off and there is sweat all over the handles, the buttons and dripped on the belt. I mean really come on man.

I move to a different TM after seeing this and a women in street clothes comes in takes her shoes off and proceeds to walk on the TM beside me as I ran. Good for her for exercising but really? The staff member came in to clean up and saw that and about had a heart attack. He asked her nicely to put on some footwear. She got all huffy and left. Oh well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    one of my fav's is when some one sits on the exercise bike for an hour sweating all to hell then gets up leaving a ton of *kitten* sweat on the seat and doesnt wipe it off...thats just nasty!!!

I can't believe it took until halfway down the second page for someone to mention a REAL pet peeve at the gym. I loathe people who don't wipe down the gear after they are done. I work out at a Y and they have not only paper towels but also disinfectant bottles everywhere. It takes 10 seconds, people! Wipe your nastiness off the machine!

OMG this is my peeve. Just last night we were at the gym and the man on the TM before me gets off and there is sweat all over the handles, the buttons and dripped on the belt. I mean really come on man.

I move to a different TM after seeing this and a women in street clothes comes in takes her shoes off and proceeds to walk on the TM beside me as I ran. Good for her for exercising but really? The staff member came in to clean up and saw that and about had a heart attack. He asked her nicely to put on some footwear. She got all huffy and left. Oh well.

Sweat all over the belt is a peeve?....Where is it supposed to go?
  • RGv2
    Options
    Didn't make me see red...but I couldn't look away. I was kind of interested in what was on this guy's mind.

This was an older guy, maybe 50s, overweight, and he was running on the treadmill at a very high speed. But every couple of minutes, he would move his feet to the side of the treadmill and rest, while letting the treadmill run. And several times in the course of about 40 minutes, he scratched his rear in a place you normally don't see people do in public. Yes, it can be extremely irritating to have a "down there" itch, but if you scratch in public, the person behind you without a book or tv headphones may notice, lol.

Every time he got back on the treadmill, he would lean his weight heavily on the sidebars while getting used to the high speed, then run at that speed for a couple of minutes, then get off and rest on the side and scratch down there while the treadmill ran...and at the end of 40 minutes his treadmill said he burned well over 1000 calories and ran nearly 5 miles, and I saw him looking intently at the numbers - doing the math to get the real number?

I don't understand why someone would want to let the treadmill run without being on it for so much of a workout. He could have brought the speed down and then put it back up, and it would have given him more accurate numbers.

Actually, this bugs the crap out of me too.

What many people don't understand is if you get your heartrate up enough on a treadmill and "jump off", you can pass out from the head rush. See it happen, a couple times...not good.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

I usually walk on the treadmill between 3.5mph-4.5mph (very brisk walking) and on an incline usually at 10. For 20 minutes it can burn a lot of calories. I just do not like running, I am pretty sure there are many more like me. I get people who size me up and probably think that my walking isn't as good as their running. Nevertheless, i can do that consistently for 20 minutes, while they have to stop every few minutes and not even finish their 20 minutes running 8-10mph generally.

I can understand the well over 20 minute mark part though. I never go over my allotted time. Out of courtesy :) But there is no harm in walking, just saying
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    People who are on a machine, not using it but texting, and can't take the hit as you hover around it for them to move on.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Two days ago, I was on the treadmill (I was on the middle one out of a 5-treadmill lineup, and one of the end ones was also being used) and a lady got on treadmill #2. WHYYYY didn't she get on #1, giving each of us an empty treadmill as a buffer? (Okay, that's just an annoyance.) The real issue was that she had apparently been chain smoking in her car on her way to the gym, as the smoke continued to waft around her as she worked out. As she started to sweat, the smoke smell increased. I finally had to abandon the treadmill when my eyes began to water, and I'm not even all that sensitive to smoke - she really was that bad.

Blech!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Saw some guy doing silly **** with the barbell on his back where he would sit down and stand back up.
    do some curls or get out of the curl rack, idiot!!!

LOL I saw a guy doing this at my gym too. He would use a machine for about 5 seconds doing maybe 2 reps that were obviously too hard for him, then without cleaning the machine (because I guess he wasn't done?), he would go do that silly **** with the bar bell and then come back to the machine. When he wasn't doing that, he was wandering around the room doing random stretches or placing a bar with no weights between his back and the rack and squat/stand rolling the bar up and down his back. This ain't no massage parlor!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    While using the Arc Trainer Machine, a woman got on the elliptical machine next to me. She then would turn and look at me and give me dirty looks throughout my workout. I do not know her and this was the first time I had ever seen her. People need to concentrate on what they are doing and not be so concerned what everyone else is doing..
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I feel annoyed when one of the gorillas over in the free weight corner is lifting 10,000 pounds and then just drops them to the floor. I'll bet there are dents in that floor under the shock absorbing rubbery surface.

Also people that get on an elliptical that is squealing like mad and just keep going. That noise is like nails on a chalkboard or rubbing a balloon for me. My hair stands on end!
  • RGv2
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

I usually walk on the treadmill between 3.5mph-4.5mph (very brisk walking) and on an incline usually at 10. For 20 minutes it can burn a lot of calories. I just do not like running, I am pretty sure there are many more like me. I get people who size me up and probably think that my walking isn't as good as their running. Nevertheless, i can do that consistently for 20 minutes, while they have to stop every few minutes and not even finish their 20 minutes running 8-10mph generally.

I can understand the well over 20 minute mark part though. I never go over my allotted time. Out of courtesy :) But there is no harm in walking, just saying

You would have to be a pretty advanced runner to run at 8mph (or higher) for 20 minutes. Obviously they are doing Interval training, also known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

google it.

Even though they need to "stop" (you're supposed to slow to a walk), this is extremely effective training.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I feel annoyed when one of the gorillas over in the free weight corner is lifting 10,000 pounds and then just drops them to the floor. I'll bet there are dents in that floor under the shock absorbing rubbery surface.

Also people that get on an elliptical that is squealing like mad and just keep going. That noise is like nails on a chalkboard or rubbing a balloon for me. My hair stands on end!
    Ook ook.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I experienced my very first "Seeing Red" moment at the gym, so this thread is perfect today!

My trainer and I were working out and needed a barbell. There are 3 in the gym we work out, and this one guy was doing his "circuit", I guess. He hadn't been at that bar for a good 10 minutes, but left his water bottle under it to claim it. We asked if we could borrow the bar for our next set and he said, "NO, I have one more set to do!" So, we modified the exercise and used dumbells. No big deal, but ne never did get back on that barbell the rest of the time we were there, which was at least another 20 minutes!

Seriously? If you've touched a piece of equipment nobody else can touch it until you leave the gym? WTF ever happened to sharing, you selfish *kitten*?

OH, and naturally I murmured something about him being a *kitten* under my breath - and my trainer knows him, of course. Darnit! LOL

If the equipment isn't physically being used, and the gentleman was doing something else, your trainer should know better than to make you modify your workout. You pay to be at the gym and you pay for them. Shame on the trainer too.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Spitting lougies in the drinking fountain and not rinsing it down....totally friking gross
  • RGv2
    Options
    Yesterday I experienced my very first "Seeing Red" moment at the gym, so this thread is perfect today!

My trainer and I were working out and needed a barbell. There are 3 in the gym we work out, and this one guy was doing his "circuit", I guess. He hadn't been at that bar for a good 10 minutes, but left his water bottle under it to claim it. We asked if we could borrow the bar for our next set and he said, "NO, I have one more set to do!" So, we modified the exercise and used dumbells. No big deal, but ne never did get back on that barbell the rest of the time we were there, which was at least another 20 minutes!

Seriously? If you've touched a piece of equipment nobody else can touch it until you leave the gym? WTF ever happened to sharing, you selfish *kitten*?

OH, and naturally I murmured something about him being a *kitten* under my breath - and my trainer knows him, of course. Darnit! LOL

If the equipment isn't physically being used, and the gentleman was doing something else, your trainer should know better than to make you modify your workout. You pay to be at the gym and you pay for them. Shame on the trainer too.

Disagree.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing that bothers me at the gym, when I get that creeping feeling that some one is staring and I look up and they are . . . again and again. There's a mirror in front of you sir, and it seems to me that you need to spend more time looking it in at your form, I got my form under control.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    people on cell phones in the gym. it really makes me murderous. i want to run over there yank it over of their hand and throw it in the sweaty towel bin.

somehow i restrain myself.
  • RGv2
    Options
    There is only one thing that bothers me at the gym, when I get that creeping feeling that some one is staring and I look up and they are . . . again and again. There's a mirror in front of you sir, and it seems to me that you need to spend more time looking it in at your form, I got my form under control.

Are you sure they're staring or are they zoned out. I find that I stare all the time when I'm zoned out.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I only ever saw it happen once but once was enough........Woman in the locker room shaving her lady parts and collecting the hair on the ledge outside her shower stall. GROSS!!!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ignore what everyone else is doing and only focus on what I'm trying to acheive