What do you replace chips with?

Options

Replies

• cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Quaker's mini rice snacks called Quakes. I buy the single serve bags to keep me in check.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips. The BBQ might just be the best BBQ, period.
  • wkrd
    wkrd Posts: 45
    Options
    Corn tortillas cut into wedges, laid out on cookie sheet, spray lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt then bake for about 15 mins or so at 350 degrees. Check after about 10 minutes, sometimes those on the edges get crispy before the inside ones. let cool, put in a ziplock bag. Just like baked tortillas with less salt and far less money.

I love BBQ pop chips too but they have a lot of sodium so only eat them occasionally. Spec K chips are just way too salty for my taste.

I also found that slicing celery into bite size pieces, putting them into clean salsa jar adding a little salt and shaking is a good snack. Get the crunch, the salt and the reaching into and putting into my mouth satisfaction of a chip
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    baked chips are better. of course weigh them on the food scale. i will do that and put them in sandwich baggies so when i want them they are all measured out
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nothing. If I want chips, I add them to my food diary and make food/exercise adjustments accordingly. :wink:
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    I don't. When I want chips..I eat chips. Only difference is, I now put a few in a paper towel..instead of eating them out of the bag. This way I can see how much I'm eating..instead of guessing.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Kale chips or baked corn tortillas are a good substitute.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    AIR
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I eat Pita chips with hummus or kettle corn to satisfy the salty and sweet cravings! But I don't really eat other chips. I'd say if you can stick to the proper portions, you can have 'em! :)
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i love chips and i have refused to cut them out of my diet. i get the 40% reduced fat cape cod style chips and eat one serving of them with lunch. also, i never take the bag with me out of the kitchen to avoid over snacking on them. i put some on my plate, put the bag away, and walk away (i do the same with any snack).

as far as snacking, i'm not crazy about carrots, either, but for some reason i can eat fresh carrot chips (they're fresh cut and look like ripple potato chips) dipped in something like garlic hummus or blue cheese dressing (and i mean dipped, not scooped. you can keep the portions of the dip way down if you dip instead of scoop).

i didn't read all of the thread, so this is probably covered, but there are veggie chips (dried and lightly salted like potato chips) and those are pretty darn good, too.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Homemade microwave potato chips, and homemade baked corn tortilla chips.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't like carrots. I will eat them cooked, I will eat them raw, but I don't "like" them. I need some salty, crunchy, chip like treat that is not so bad for me. I have sweet pretty much covered, but I cannot break away from chips....... especially jalapeno kettle chips dipped in sour cream. I get the muchies at around 9 PM and have a hard time ignoring them. I don't want to have to save all day just to get them in at night...... I just want some alternative that will help me get what I am looking for or not care that I have the munchies.

Have you tried eating Greek yogurt in place of sour cream? They're surprisingly similar in taste. Also, for chips you can always use whole grain tortilla bread or pita bread and toast or bake it after you season it to taste. That'll give you a chip-like crunch. Good luck!
  • BritainPaige
    Options
    Kale chips!!!!!!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Cucumber chips, baked lentil chips, make your own tortillas w/ low carb tortillas, kavli garlic crisps...all good.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Pita Chips with my hummus. However, I want to watch my carb intake, so I'm going to try baking my own using the low carb tortillas, as suggested on this thread. Thanks!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Replace them with will power. Seriously, you're not going to win this game in the long run if you can't exercise control over your desire to eat.

While I appreciate your *incredibly* helpful response, please look down at my ticker. I am not new to this. I have exercised amazing willpower, to lose 160 lbs, I had to, and while I am eating far fewer of them, I would like to cut them out completely for something that would be more healthful. As I have done for sweets, and pasta, and a great many other things that I have learned to live without. It is a process. One that I know, very well. I have been doing this, and doing it well, might I add. Even in moderation, I have decided that I do not want them in my diet anymore, but, I would like to have a good substitute for something salty in the evenings while watching a movie with my family that will be eating (and buying their own) chips anyway. I do not feel it irrational for me to ask the opinions of others for a good alternative.

I did notice your ticker when I replied. You've done a seriously amazing job. What I was really trying to say (and could have done so with less glib, sorry.) is that thinking differently about food is as important as what you're actually eating. If you think of veggies or kale as replacements then your brain is always going to crave the real thing every time your eat them. You don't have to give up chips, just eat less of them. I feel there's a problem with all the diet, low fat, low carb foods that are available now. They completely side step the issue of eating too much volume. "Hey! no need to eat less mayo, just eat this low fat version, right?" I dunno, I suspect it's a big part of the reason that many people gain the weight back.
  • Alison120644
    Options
    Try Blue Diamond Almond Thins. They come in a variety of flavors and 16 chips is a serving for 130 calories. My husband and I love 'em!...and they are a great crunchie filler for the munchies.
  • ShelbyBurkhart
    Options
    I've seen articles on pinterest about kale chips. It's just kale leaves that are baked and sprinkled with sea salt. Might be worth a shot! Maybe I'll try it. :)
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pop chips?

Love, love, love Pop Chips!

Another Pop Chips fan. I love the BBQ and just discovered the Salt & Pepper ones, yum!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    ...if you know anyone that sells Pampered Chef...they have a little fun tool that you slice potatoes and put in the microwave and you get homemade potato chips without the oil...sprinkle with a little salt or other spices...delicious.

Kale chips are actually pretty tasty as well..

OR...enjoy your chips and drop the sour cream. Buy the little bags so they're already portioned out. I love chips...and most of the other stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm not sold on Pop chips and all that jazz as it's a difference of about 30 calories between those and Kettle chips but Kettle chips taste a heck of a lot better, IMO.