What is the nicest thing you've done for anyone?

Options

Replies

• barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have always done whatever I can to help people in need...however, the one thing I have done, that has effected a number of people, is to volunteer to adjust my schedule at work to accomodate a new AA group that wanted to use our facilities for a weekly meeting...we do not get revenue from this, but it is needed in the community, and there was no one else where I work, that even considered helping out with this issue....this day in question, every week, was a 10 hour day for me, and really wasn't in my job description...but somebody needed to stay late and let the group members in and lock up and set the alarm at night....

another thing I have done at work, is to help my co-worker in Med Records when she had other things to do, or go to, not getting paid for the extra time...allowed to log it as FLEX, however, I have so much of my regular duties that I am unable to take the time off....I can only get OT, if my director askes me to directly...and of course when it is requested of me, I jump for it....

this same co-worker, gives me a hard time almost every day, for some reason or other...usually because I help someone else that works in my dept with something....she keeps saying that someone else is responsible for helping them!!!! I just try to be a TEAM PLAYER ...we are all here to help each other, and to help our clients too...I work in a substance abuse/mental health clinic (TRIBAL) as a biller, so you see, these extra things I do, are completely extra...but I can not say NO when one of my co-workers need help with something,and I have have the expertice or knowledge to help them....even the office manager asks me for information, or help, and she gives me a hard time also...(she can never remember the passwords to the front desk computer if, for some reason, she is told to sit there...I always have to log her in...LOL!!!!)

OH, and I'm responsible for getting in the revenue, and about 80 people currently depend on me for payroll...I've been here for 15 years...

I also am helping my son, (30 years old) and for awhile his girlfriend, (they recently broke up after being together almost 5 years) letting them live in my home until they were able to get on their feet and get a place of their own...they lost their Jack In the Box employment (they both worked there) and then had no income...I bought their food and gave them tobacco money, and whatever money they asked for, I even gave her the money to get her CPR/First Aid training, because she was looking into employment that required this certification) ,other money as they needed it to keep them going..they finally applied for food stamps and this is helping out (they were actually able to have steak now!!! and did share with me, too...in fact whenever he is cooking for himself, he offers some to me also)....they moved in almost 2 years ago...to save on expenses, because she was making long distance calls to her family out of state...I installed Magic Jack on my computer system, which is wonderful because I no longer have a $65.00 phone bill every month, which helps me to finance other things...it allows unlimited phone service, local and long distance anywhere in the USA and Canada, or anyone else in the world if they also have a Magic Jack setup...it works great, unless the internet is down for some reason....
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Saw a pregnant woman at Target. She was buying 1 small fish fillet, some peanuts, and a quart of milk. She was paying with the EBT card (food stamp card) but didn't have enough.

Like heck I was going to stand there and watch a pregnant woman have to choose which of these three items to have to put back.

So, I paid for her stuff.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Taken my ex on a surprise weekend getaway
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! So many beautiful people on here! Hugs to all of you! :heart: You made my day today! :happy:

Thanks for starting it off! GREAT IDEA!
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    I donated my vacation days to a co-worker who was needing time off to take care of her child, so she can still get a full paycheck.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    what a wonderful thing in memory of your son!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I gave my second car to a family that was in need. She was an '86 Mustang with a 6 cyl. and over 150,000 miles. They ended up driving Sally for another 5 years. She was tired, but knew that family needed her;)
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I provided a young single mother with money to go to college as she danced for me on stage.

{chuckle}
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    You people are all awesome! I can't think of anything I have done (yet) that even comes close but you are all very inspiring!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Again WOW with the wonderful, fabulous, awesome people out there. What a wonderful way to start the day reading all the good things people do for each other. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • kayduro
    Options
    . Better not to toot your own horn.

Isn't this what this thread is all about? Lol
  • kayduro
    Options

I also am helping my son, (30 years old) and for awhile his girlfriend, (they recently broke up after being together almost 5 years) letting them live in my home until they were able to get on their feet and get a place of their own...they lost their Jack In the Box employment (they both worked there) and then had no income...I bought their food and gave them tobacco money, and whatever money they asked for, I even gave her the money to get her CPR/First Aid training, because she was looking into employment that required this certification) ,other money as they needed it to keep them going..they finally applied for food stamps and this is helping out (they were actually able to have steak now!!! and did share with me, too...in fact whenever he is cooking for himself, he offers some to me also)....they moved in almost 2 years ago...to save on expenses, because she was making long distance calls to her family out of state...I installed Magic Jack on my computer system, which is wonderful because I no longer have a $65.00 phone bill every month, which helps me to finance other things...it allows unlimited phone service, local and long distance anywhere in the USA and Canada, or anyone else in the world if they also have a Magic Jack setup...it works great, unless the internet is down for some reason....

I really can't tell if this is for real Tobacco? Steak? Long distance calls?
  • SpanishRapunzel
    SpanishRapunzel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    *self-deleted*
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Let my ex best friend and her 2 kids live with me and my husband while she was getting a divorce . then she totally took advantage of the situation ( We never asked for rent money or any money for bills or food ) she would buy things like a coconut , bottled water ( my city water wasn't good enough) She would drink everyday. then take my husbands beer when she ran out. . We baby sat while she went to the welfare office. and she was gone for 8 hours!!! She started taken over my home by her " suggestions for things etc. she cleaned my kitchen couple times and dusted once. and acted like it was doing me a favor . I took a day off of work and she woke up at 10am and seen i was home and seemed bothered I was in my own house and not at work..lol.. Finally I told her I had enough and kicked her out and told her to go live with her mother. She wasn't there when both my parents died the same day but I was there for her all the time.. I've learned my lesson.. Boy I don't miss her at all!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    My parents and I paid for the rest of the highschool tuition for a boy in Africa, who I met when I volunteered there. He was a cousin of my host mom. He graduated with high scores!
    I give a monthly donation to a school a volunteered at in Africa.

I had a friend who moved here from Detroit and had no close friends and no family. On her birthday I sent her flowers to her office, and when she came over, I had baked her chocolate cupcakes with fresh strawberries on them.

I made my bf breakfast in bed. He said it was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for him.

I love doing nice things.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I gave birth to them.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I ran the great scottish run in memory of my mother in law who we lost to lung cancer on Christmas Day 2011. I raised almost £900 ($1400) for Macmillan Cancer Care:heart:
  • VeeGeeMom
    VeeGeeMom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Attend births as a doula. Have done it for 24 years and it makes a difference!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I agreed to carry a child for a couple I had never met before starting the surrogacy process. The first IVF cycle was not successful; we are in the second cycle now and the next embryo transfer is scheduled for the end of the month. Fingers and toes crossed! :happy: