Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Never drank. Never wanted too. Am rather disgusted by the bar and getting drunk scene. Seems too wasteful of one's life. I like "outside", ya know, sunshine NOT moonshine!

You know, most people who do drink, do so in moderation. For example, a couple beers at home or a glass of wine with dinner of friends. My boyfriend drinks 1-2 beers in the evening, a couple nights a week. I may have one glass of wine, a beer or a vodka soda every other week.. We go out to bars maybe once every two months and stay sober enough that one of us drives home.

I will never understand why some people equate any drinking of alcohol with sloppy drunks. Maybe if you had a glass of wine and relaxed, you wouldn't be so disgusted.
  • brendaschoenbs
    Options
    It's not that I'm anti drinking or anything but I'm 35 years old and have drank three times my entire life. Once on my 21st birthday when my parents took me out for a drink and I had just one (beer - did NOT like the taste). Once for my anniversary with hubby I had a mixed drink (one) and puked all night) then once a friend had me try a sip of wine because she couldn't believe I'd never had it - bleh - disgusting.

I'm just not interested in any of it I guess.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank for about 11 years at least and don't miss it. I drank all I needed for a lifetime up to that point...
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I do not drink either. I have no interest in it.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Non-drinker here!!! Just not my thing and can't stand the taste of anything I have ever tried!!!!

I love being at the doctor and they ask, "Do you drink?" NO "Do you smoke?" NO "Do you drink coffee?" NO then they look at me and tell me I need to lose weight!!! DUH!!!!! They have to find something to pick on!!! Hahahahaha!!!!!

Same here, Have tasted beer once and it was disgusting. I had many friends while growing up that did and I didn't care to act like they did when they drank, so I never have and never will.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Never drank. Never wanted too. Am rather disgusted by the bar and getting drunk scene. Seems too wasteful of one's life. I like "outside", ya know, sunshine NOT moonshine!

You know, most people who do drink, do so in moderation. For example, a couple beers at home or a glass of wine with dinner of friends. My boyfriend drinks 1-2 beers in the evening, a couple nights a week. I may have one glass of wine, a beer or a vodka soda every other week.. We go out to bars maybe once every two months and stay sober enough that one of us drives home.

I will never understand why some people equate any drinking of alcohol with sloppy drunks. Maybe if you had a glass of wine and relaxed, you wouldn't be so disgusted.

She never said she was disgusted with people drinking alcohol. She said she was disgusted by the bar scene and getting sloppy drunk scene. (which honestly can be pretty sad).

Don't be so defensive, when it's not needed.
  • cre8ive1010
    Options
    I don't drink or do anything else. I'm not ashamed to say I'm in a 12 step program. It saved my life, it fulfilled it's one and only promise to me... Freedom from active addiction. It's been almost 10 months now.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My parents taught me to respect alcohol from a very young age and how to not abuse it. My father's family is full of alcoholics and he never wanted me to struggle with the same issues. I enjoy a glass of red wine nearly every night, but I limit it to one glass. Red wine is very healthy and can prevent heart disease, cancer, the potential for stroke and heart attack. I would rather drink a glass of wine than pop aspirin, a blood pressure med, etc. I would never pressure anyone into drinking, but there can be benefits if you pick the right drink :)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink. I never even went out drinking for my 21st! on a rare occasion I go have a beer with a friend, and that's only every 6 months or so. I've also found it's just not worth the extra calories!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't drink and never have, it makes me feel very sick. I also tend to think lowly of people who can't have good, old fashioned fun, and need to make a mess of themselves... or people who are rely on it... I try not to show how judgmental I am though. Sure saves me a lot of calories!

Well it's a REALLY good thing you try not to show how judgemental you are.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I average one beer a day, and 2-3 on the weekends. I only drink good craft beer, none of that light crap that has fillers and fake stuff in it. I stay away from liquor and only drink dry red wine on rare occasions.

I will say this: If I drink a beer a day it is better than someone drinking one Diet coke or regular coke a day.

^very true! I would rather drink one beer a day than put soda to my face....
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Came in for the free alcohol. Then realized I read the title incorrectly.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I don't drink. Nothing out there I like. You make it sound like it's odd...or am I the only one who things that?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband has never had a drink in his life. I have a glass of wine now and then (maybe once or twice a month, sometimes not at all).
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    nope. never. i have when i was younger in my wild teen years, but now that i'm a "grown-up" nope... just doesn't appeal to me. also, religious reasons... lol
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

She never said she was disgusted with people drinking alcohol. She said she was disgusted by the bar scene and getting sloppy drunk scene. (which honestly can be pretty sad).

Don't be so defensive, when it's not needed.

"Disgusted by the bar and getting drunk scene."

The post just sounded rather condescending and anti- alcohol, not just anti-sloppy drunks.
  • shrooki
    shrooki Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Never had a drink in my life because of Islam.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I don't drink or do anything else. I'm not ashamed to say I'm in a 12 step program. It saved my life, it fulfilled it's one and only promise to me... Freedom from active addiction. It's been almost 10 months now.

Good for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I like drinking but it doesn't like me (instant headache) so I typically avoid anything other than nursing a "girly beer". If I do want to get wasted, I can take 2 shots of hard liquor and stumble around for at least a couple hours - it doesn't take much. That happens maybe once every 6 weeks, if that.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    ME! My last drink was five years ago. I drank an entire bottle of vodka. Had a roaring hangover the next day and never drank again. :P