Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have never drank. And, I don't ever plan to. I personally know what type of damage alcohol can do (to the drinker AS WELL as the people around them). I've witnessed too much in my 28 years. I don't ever plan to do that to myself.

:) You aren't missing anything. AT all.
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    In March of 2008, just before my 50th birthday, my psychiatrist told my family doctor that I had an "issue with alcohol". This hadn't been true for quite some time and I was very angry at the spread of misinformation. I decided to give up what little drinking I was still doing completely. I wanted to be able to say, unequivocably, that I had NO issue with alcohol. I didn't miss it. After two or three years, though, I decided I could allow myself a half glass of wine or a cider once in a blue moon, especially if I am with company.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Alcoholism runs in my family so I vowed to never start.

Same here, and with mental disorders running through my family, the depressant factor of it isn't really a smart idea, either. Plus religious reasons.
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    Haven't had a sip since last Thanksgiving. I was a once a year drinker before that (just a glass of wine or champagne on Turkey Day). Not missing a thing...don't get what the big deal is.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    <Backs Away Slowly> Oooops saw free and alcohol.... <MUST read entire topic title> :drinker:
    Cheers!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to down a 12 pack by lunch when i would split wood or work outside on a saturday.

Now I only occasionally drink. I had only 2 beers last weekend. And I don;t really miss all that much.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

I dont drink. I hate beer and I hate the feeling of being drunk. And honestly Ive never been to a bar or a club and I avoid parties because I cant stand being around drunk people.
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Going on ten days dry now.

I really need to change that profile pic all things considered, eh?

Baby steps...
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    i haven't drunk in 6 days :) i'm trying to do 2 weeks
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Question for all you who do not drink..what happens on vacation?like vegas for example,no drinking and a cigar?that is my biggest fear if i quit drinking.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    My dad (God rest his soul) fought alcoholism his entire adult life. When I was very young I was at the receiving end of the abusive personality (90% verbal) and swore that I'd never let myself get like that. The (rare) physical abuse ended when I was 13 yo and got sick of his picking on me and I almost choked him out; fortunately, my mom was there to stop me because I might not have stopped. He still drank heavily on-and-off, but suffice it to say that there was no more abuse of any kind from him because he knew that I could kick his @$$ (at least when he was drunk!)
    I've NEVER been drunk, but I have had a rare mixed drink and I used to drink wine coolers a couple of times a month. Really, I just don't see the appeal, especially given the cost. Besides, I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them! :tongue:
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Going on ten days dry now.

I really need to change that profile pic all things considered, eh?

Baby steps...

Hahaha!
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Question for all you who do not drink..what happens on vacation?like vegas for example,no drinking and a cigar?that is my biggest fear if i quit drinking.

I'm not a gambler, so other than the sightseeing and show aspect of it, there really isn't much in going to LA for me. It's a good ways away from where I live, to boot. I'd rather go to an amusement park or to the mountains. If I can't have fun doing something without drinking, chances are, it wasn't actually that fun to begin with.

But I'm an introvert who has more fun reading than partying, so....
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I'm terrified of using substances as a crutch to feel good or for social interaction. I'm terrified of addiction. I drink maybe 2-3 times a year but it feels very nice. About 3-4 beers and I'm gone.

Then again I've been addicted to food since I was a kid. Hahaha.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    I drink very rarely.
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that did seem a bit goofy to me too, I changed the pic, my conscience is clear! lol
  • Jenn30nva
    Options
    I have just passed my 3 year mark and feel great! Although, I did have a sip by mistake. My family took me out for dinner for my birthday and I ordered a VIRGIN strawberry daiquiri then went to the restroom. Well the waitress didn't hear the virgin part and brought a regular one. My Mom ordered the same thing and the waitress told her I hadn't said virgin. Needless to say she ended up drinking the regular and I ended up with the virgin daiquiri. They looked identical however and I grabbed hers by mistake and after only 1 sip I nearly gagged, I could tell it had the alcohol in it and it was NASTY to me!
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    31 never been drunk. I have had a few sips here and there...but never really been into it.
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Does one beer or one rum and soda a month count?
  • loasface
    loasface Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do! My body reacts strangely to alcohol. It takes a lot of alcohol to get me drunk and EVERY TIME I drink enough even just to get a light buzz, I only feel the buzz for about 10 minutes before it turns into the spins. 90% of the time, I get sick. If I get in a car, I will definitely get sick (for instance, one night I had 3 beers over 3 hours and got sick on the ride home. Never felt a buzz.) And when I do get drunk, I don't really enjoy the feeling anyway. So, for me, it's just not worth the calories =]