Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    I have never drank. And, I don't ever plan to. I personally know what type of damage alcohol can do (to the drinker AS WELL as the people around them). I've witnessed too much in my 28 years. I don't ever plan to do that to myself.

:) You aren't missing anything. AT all.
  • In March of 2008, just before my 50th birthday, my psychiatrist told my family doctor that I had an "issue with alcohol". This hadn't been true for quite some time and I was very angry at the spread of misinformation. I decided to give up what little drinking I was still doing completely. I wanted to be able to say, unequivocably, that I had NO issue with alcohol. I didn't miss it. After two or three years, though, I decided I could allow myself a half glass of wine or a cider once in a blue moon, especially if I am with company.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Alcoholism runs in my family so I vowed to never start.

Same here, and with mental disorders running through my family, the depressant factor of it isn't really a smart idea, either. Plus religious reasons.
  • Haven't had a sip since last Thanksgiving. I was a once a year drinker before that (just a glass of wine or champagne on Turkey Day). Not missing a thing...don't get what the big deal is.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    <Backs Away Slowly> Oooops saw free and alcohol.... <MUST read entire topic title> :drinker:
    Cheers!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    I used to be able to down a 12 pack by lunch when i would split wood or work outside on a saturday.

Now I only occasionally drink. I had only 2 beers last weekend. And I don;t really miss all that much.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    *raises hand*

I dont drink. I hate beer and I hate the feeling of being drunk. And honestly Ive never been to a bar or a club and I avoid parties because I cant stand being around drunk people.
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Going on ten days dry now.

I really need to change that profile pic all things considered, eh?

Baby steps...
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    i haven't drunk in 6 days :) i'm trying to do 2 weeks
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Question for all you who do not drink..what happens on vacation?like vegas for example,no drinking and a cigar?that is my biggest fear if i quit drinking.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    My dad (God rest his soul) fought alcoholism his entire adult life. When I was very young I was at the receiving end of the abusive personality (90% verbal) and swore that I'd never let myself get like that. The (rare) physical abuse ended when I was 13 yo and got sick of his picking on me and I almost choked him out; fortunately, my mom was there to stop me because I might not have stopped. He still drank heavily on-and-off, but suffice it to say that there was no more abuse of any kind from him because he knew that I could kick his @$$ (at least when he was drunk!)
    I've NEVER been drunk, but I have had a rare mixed drink and I used to drink wine coolers a couple of times a month. Really, I just don't see the appeal, especially given the cost. Besides, I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them! :tongue:
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Going on ten days dry now.

I really need to change that profile pic all things considered, eh?

Baby steps...

Hahaha!
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Question for all you who do not drink..what happens on vacation?like vegas for example,no drinking and a cigar?that is my biggest fear if i quit drinking.

I'm not a gambler, so other than the sightseeing and show aspect of it, there really isn't much in going to LA for me. It's a good ways away from where I live, to boot. I'd rather go to an amusement park or to the mountains. If I can't have fun doing something without drinking, chances are, it wasn't actually that fun to begin with.

But I'm an introvert who has more fun reading than partying, so....
  • I'm terrified of using substances as a crutch to feel good or for social interaction. I'm terrified of addiction. I drink maybe 2-3 times a year but it feels very nice. About 3-4 beers and I'm gone.

Then again I've been addicted to food since I was a kid. Hahaha.
  • I drink very rarely.
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Yeah, that did seem a bit goofy to me too, I changed the pic, my conscience is clear! lol
  • I have just passed my 3 year mark and feel great! Although, I did have a sip by mistake. My family took me out for dinner for my birthday and I ordered a VIRGIN strawberry daiquiri then went to the restroom. Well the waitress didn't hear the virgin part and brought a regular one. My Mom ordered the same thing and the waitress told her I hadn't said virgin. Needless to say she ended up drinking the regular and I ended up with the virgin daiquiri. They looked identical however and I grabbed hers by mistake and after only 1 sip I nearly gagged, I could tell it had the alcohol in it and it was NASTY to me!
  • 31 never been drunk. I have had a few sips here and there...but never really been into it.
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Does one beer or one rum and soda a month count?
  • loasface
    loasface Posts: 25 Member
    I do! My body reacts strangely to alcohol. It takes a lot of alcohol to get me drunk and EVERY TIME I drink enough even just to get a light buzz, I only feel the buzz for about 10 minutes before it turns into the spins. 90% of the time, I get sick. If I get in a car, I will definitely get sick (for instance, one night I had 3 beers over 3 hours and got sick on the ride home. Never felt a buzz.) And when I do get drunk, I don't really enjoy the feeling anyway. So, for me, it's just not worth the calories =]