Milk...?

Options

Replies

• jfa002
    jfa002 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cows milk does my body good.

And that's okay if it does your body good; however, I'm looking at the purpose of what milk is intended for: younglings. If someone wants to continue to consume milk, then that is okay. For me, logic says that if animals are weened from their mothers milk, then I should be as well. It is so strange if we see an eight year old still breast feeding from their mother or even drinking their mother's breast milk; yet, we don't find it odd for that eight year old to drink another mother's milk of a different species. Still, we would find it VERY strange if that child drank breast milk from another human mother even if it was bottled.

Do you see my reason?

So why don't we continue to drink it from our mothers since it is made specifically for us? Why aren't the store shelves filled up with human breast milk? It might be easier on our system. Know this, I am not advocating adult consuming breast milk.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    And that's okay if it does your body good; however, I'm looking at the purpose of what milk is intended for: younglings. If someone wants to continue to consume milk, then that is okay. For me, logic says that if animals are weened from their mothers milk, then I should be as well. It is so strange if we see an eight year old still breast feeding from their mother or even drinking their mother's breast milk; yet, we don't find it odd for that eight year old to drink another mother's milk of a different species. Still, we would find it VERY strange if that child drank breast milk from another human mother even if it was bottled.

Do you see my reason?

So why don't we continue to drink it from our mothers since it is made specifically for us? Why aren't the store shelves filled up with human breast milk? It might be easier on our system. Know this, I am not advocating adult consuming breast milk.

It would also seem very strange if we saw an 8 year old eating bbq'd human flesh, but the same for steaks and chickens doesn't hold quite the same shock value. That difference is where your argument breaks down.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

And that's okay if it does your body good; however, I'm looking at the purpose of what milk is intended for: younglings.

So, aside from human breast milk, what foods are intended specifically for humans? Is there some master list?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you see my reason?

I do not get the 'what it was intended for' argument at all. If it is good for your body, why not drink it? So, I do not see your reasoning.

You eat eggs (yes, I diary creeped as I wondered whether you were a vegan) - I could argue that they are not 'intended to be eaten' - they are 'intended' to be hatched. So, the logic fails with me again.

ETA: I just realized that it reads snarky - not intended to btw.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

And that's okay if it does your body good; however, I'm looking at the purpose of what milk is intended for: younglings.

So, aside from human breast milk, what foods are intended specifically for humans? Is there some master list?

Duh, Shakeology
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Do you see my reason?

Do you have any idea how long an 8 year old would need to nurse? It would take up all the mother's time awake to nurse or pump enough milk to feed an 8 year old. Your argument is ridiculous. And no it's not strange for a child to drink breast milk from another mother's breast. If a mother is willing to nurse another child then that is an act of utter selflessness. Salma Hayak breast fed starving children in a third world country, do you find that strange?
  • jfa002
    Options
    It would also seem very strange if we saw an 8 year old eating bbq'd human flesh, but the same for steaks and chickens doesn't hold quite the same shock value. That difference is where your argument breaks down.

In no way do I view consuming milk as cannibalism as to an eight year old eating the flesh of another human being. A calf for instance, consumes its mother's milk; not the mother.
  • jfa002
    Options
    I do not get the 'what it was intended for' argument at all. If it is good for your body, why not drink it? So, I do not see your reasoning.

You eat eggs (yes, I diary creeped as I wondered whether you were a vegan) - I could argue that they are not 'intended to be eaten' - they are 'intended' to be hatched. So, the logic fails with me again.

ETA: I just realized that it reads snarky - not intended to btw.

I do not advocate that consuming animals milk is bad. I just find it odd that that we continue to consume milk and milk of another species when the rest of the animal kingdom truly is weened and they do well. I am not vegan though I would like to be, but I don't see that in the near future.
  • jfa002
    Options

You can never go wrong with a plant-based diet. Deer, cows, turkeys, etc., they seem to do pretty well.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Cheesypoofs. Clearly...

:wink:
  • littletrees90
    littletrees90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, NONE!, the sole purpose of milk it to fatten baby calves.... drink almond milk
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    And the conditions the cows are raised in are completely sickening - which is the main reason pasteurization is even necessary.

I met the cows whose milk I drink on a recent holiday
    They looked ok to me
    Paddocks with shade and sun and lots of good healthy nosh.

It is a major brand too, so not sure where this info comes from. Certainly not an Australian.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You can never go wrong with a plant-based diet. Deer, cows, turkeys, etc., they seem to do pretty well.

You can go wrong with a plant-based diet - you need to be careful about protein and certain nutrients - specifically B12. I am not saying that a vegan diet is necessarily lacking, but you can go wrong, just as you can a non-vegan diet.
  • jfa002
    Options
    Do you have any idea how long an 8 year old would need to nurse? It would take up all the mother's time awake to nurse or pump enough milk to feed an 8 year old. Your argument is ridiculous. And no it's not strange for a child to drink breast milk from another mother's breast. If a mother is willing to nurse another child then that is an act of utter selflessness. Salma Hayak breast fed starving children in a third world country, do you find that strange?

Of course I don't find that strange, but is Ms. Hayak doing this for infants or pre-teens? Pre-teen I will say that this would be strange. And my argument I think is not ridiculous for the reason that I know that there are 8, 9, 10 or 11 year olds out there still on their mother's breast simply for the reason and decisions of their mothers. The mother believe that their milk is intended (designed) for their children, so they will not give them an alternative unless it is necessary.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's got nutrients in it, but nothing you couldn't get elsewhere. I like some milk, but I tend to avoid it because it's pretty high calorie, and I'd rather get my calories elsewhere.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Cheesypoofs. Clearly...

:wink:

CheesyPoofs2.jpg
  • jfa002
    Options
    You can go wrong with a plant-based diet - you need to be careful about protein and certain nutrients - specifically B12. I am not saying that a vegan diet is necessarily lacking, but you can go wrong, just as you can a non-vegan diet.

Well said. Balance is what's needed. :happy:
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    How much should I be drinking? I am trying to cut out fats. Or should I not be drinking it? Thanks.

Human beings are not meant to consume milk after the age of 2, we lose the proper body functions in order to digest it. We are also the only species to drink another source of milk outside of mothers milk....

People who are lactose intolerant are actually normal....

So IMO no milk or dairy for me.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/upload/NICHD_MM_Lactose_FS.pdf

"An estimated 30 million to 50 million American adults are lactose intolerant. The pattern of primary lactose intolerance appears to have a genetic component, and specific populations show high levels of intolerance, including approximately: 95 percent of Asians, 60 percent to 80 percent of African Americans and Ashkenazi Jews, 80 percent to 100 percent of American Indians, and 50 percent to 80 percent of Hispanics. Lactose intolerance is least common among people of northern European origin, who have a lactose intolerance prevalence of only about 2 percent."

Just as well I am from northern European origin as I drink so much milk. Oh, and that is approx. 16% or people in the US are lactose intolerance - does not appear to be the norm to me.

And we are not the only mammal to drink another species milk as I mentioned in my post above. I know our dog and cats liked it. Our dog actually liked a bowl of milky tea every now and again (it was a British dog...go figure!)
    A domesticated animal will eat practically anything it's given. That doesn't mean anything.

How on earth does that negate what I have said or support what you have said? At all?

I notice that you have still avoided giving any sources for the claims you made with regard to calcium absorption.

ETA: there are some cute pics here btw:

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing?image=9

thanks for that link it was interesting.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Okay here is my theory. Milk.

Look at nature (concerning herbivores). The young is born and they get their main source of fats and nutrients from theirs mothers milk for them to grow at an alarming rate. Once the young is of age to eat solids, the youngling is weened from its mother's milk, then it consumes its nutrients elsewhere with a low fat intake.

Now look at human beings. When we are born we consume our mother's milk to get the gains that we need in mass and nutrition. Then we are weened from our mother's milk and then.....WE ARE TO DRINK ANOTHER SPECIES MILK!!!

Now tell me, do you find that to be an odd concept? Where in all of nature is a young weened from one source of milk and put onto another? As far as I know, the animals that were weened now drink water for their need of fluids. I personally believe that we as human beings do not need milk once we reach a certain physical maturity. We can get all those nutrients that we need from plant based foods and the kicker is that most of those foods are low in fat or have no fat at all! Try alternatives to animal milk: rice, soy, almond milks. They are high in nutrients and doesn't give you lactose problems as far as I know. I have not drank animal's milk regularly in a long time. However, I do eat animal products such as cheese, yogurt, or stuff that contains milk. I try my best to not make it into a habit, but you know while growing up I have had it beaten into my head that "Milk, it does a body good" which is true to a certain point. I will not make lame excuses as to why I continue to eat stuff that contains milk other than it's hard for old habits to die.

My suggestion, take this into consideration, think about it for a while, and try alternatives to animals milk. It will do your body good.:wink:

I agree with all that! Everyone can think what they want & drink what they want, but the concept of drinking milk from an animal even though we're weened off human milk makes no sense to me either lol. I'm not against milk or anything, I have some once in a great while, but it really grosses me out when I think about it!
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow, with five pages of responses I figured that at least one person would have mentioned this... seems everyone's too busy arguing about whether or not we're "meant" (lol) to drink milk.

If you want to lose weight, and aren't lactose intolerant, then drink milk. There have been numerous studies that suggest dairy (and specifically the type of calcium present in dairy, note that calcium from supplements doesn't show the same results) reduces the amount of fat you absorb from your diet. Now, this doesn't mean you can start chugging cream, but it would suggest that keeping milk in your diet is a good idea as far as weight loss is concerned.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2003.52/full
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/3/678.full