Milk or No Milk?

Options
So I would like to hear a response from you and see what you have to think about this. But PLEASE mull it over, take deep thought into it. I am really interested in what you think.

Okay here is my theory. Milk.

Look at nature (concerning herbivores). The young is born and they get their main source of fats and nutrients from theirs mothers milk for them to grow at an alarming rate. Once the young is of age of physiological maturity, the youngling is weened from its mother's milk, then it consumes its nutrients elsewhere with a low fat intake.

Now look at human beings. When we are born we consume our mother's milk to get the gains that we need in mass and nutrition. Then we are weened from our mother's milk and then.....WE ARE TO DRINK ANOTHER SPECIES MILK!!!

Now tell me, do you find that to be an odd concept? Where in all of nature is a young weened from one source of milk and put onto another? As far as I know, the animals that were weened now drink water for their need of fluids. I personally believe that we as human beings do not need milk once we reach a certain physiological maturity. We can get all those nutrients that we need from plant based foods and the kicker is that most of those foods are low in fat or have no fat at all! Try alternatives to animal milk: rice, soy, almond milks. They are high in nutrients and doesn't give you lactose problems as far as I know. I have not drank animal's milk regularly in a long time. However, I do eat animal products such as cheese, yogurt, or stuff that contains milk. I try my best to not make it into a habit, but you know while growing up I have had it beaten into my head that "Milk, it does a body good" which is true to a certain point. I will not make lame excuses as to why I continue to eat stuff that contains milk other than it's hard for old habits to die.

And that's okay if it does your body good; however, I'm looking at the purpose of what milk is intended for: younglings. If someone wants to continue to consume milk, then that is okay. For me, logic says that if animals are weened from their mothers milk, then I should be as well. It is so strange if we see an eight year old still breast feeding from their mother or even drinking their mother's breast milk; yet, we don't find it odd for that eight year old to drink another mother's milk of a different species. Still, we would find it VERY strange if that child drank breast milk from another human mother even if it was bottled.

Do you see my reason?

So why don't we continue to drink breast milk from our mothers since it is made specifically for us? Other animals stick to their own species of milk. Why aren't the store shelves filled up with human breast milk? It might be easier on our system. Know this, I am not advocating adults consuming breast milk.

If you fell something needs to be added, then please do so. If you disagree, please pick my brain and give me some really great counter-arguements. Thanks. Have fun. :wink:

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    We are also the only species that has modified every species we do eat through selective breeding over tens of thousands of years. All the grains we eat have been heavily modified from their original, wild form, the tree fruits we eat have been modified, animals have been modified.

We have been so successful as a species because of our willingness to eat pretty much anything. I'm personally lactose intolerant, but happily drink lactose free milk; having tried all the alternative milks and found them nasty. If you like them, go ahead and drink them, but don't call drinking another animals milk unnatural, while you continue to eat anything else we humans have modified (and I'm not talking about the gmo organisms of the last few decades, I'm talking about anything we have changed over thousands of years through domestication.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    No other animal on earth has thumbs or buckets with which to harvest the milk of other animals. Other animals will drink milk if it's provided to them. Cats and dogs have been known to drink milk at my house.

We are the only species that cooks meat before we eat it - maybe we should stop doing that. Lions don't cook meat. Rocky drank raw eggs, does that sound better to you than a couple of them over easy?

We are the only species that plant, raise and harvest the plants we eat - shall we go back to foraging for all of our food?

The list goes on.

I also got a big laugh out your putting forth this idea like you came up with it all by yourself. Someone brings this up several times a week on this forum and it's been out there for years and years. So congrats on coming up with a "new" idea all on your own.

ETA: On the idea of selling human breast milk at the stores. When they start doing that I would like a job at the dairy as a milker. I'll bring my own milking stool.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    It's simple survival. Cows can turn grass into milk. Which means if you are hungry and you have a cow you can feed yourself by simply letting the cow graze. Milk has an excellent nutrient balance and the body does eventually adapt to the food you eat. In fact milk is one of the best post workout drinks you can have.

No worries if you don't want a scoop of ice cream or some yogurt that means more for me. :)
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I swear I have seen this somewhere...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No other animal on earth has thumbs or buckets with which to harvest the milk of other animals. Other animals will drink milk if it's provided to them. Cats and dogs have been known to drink milk at my house.

We are the only species that cooks meat before we eat it - maybe we should stop doing that. Lions don't cook meat. Rocky drank raw eggs, does that sound better to you than a couple of them over easy?

We are the only species that plant, raise and harvest the plants we eat - shall we go back to foraging for all of our food?

The list goes on.

I also got a big laugh out your putting forth this idea like you came up with it all by yourself. Someone brings this up several times a week on this forum and it's been out there for years and years. So congrats on coming up with a "new" idea all on your own.

ETA: On the idea of selling human breast milk at the stores. When they start doing that I would like a job at the dairy as a milker. I'll bring my own milking stool.

^^^^^This. If you're using other species as your standard, then you have to ask what they would do if given the opportunity.

Personally, I enjoy dairy and tolerate it well, so I frankly don't care what other animals would or wouldn't do.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we got it the last time you said this.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options

Here ya go

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/culinary-curiosities/2011/02/25/an-oedipal-feast-human-breast-milk-ice-cream/
  • TBird135
    TBird135 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

The list goes on.

• TBird135
    TBird135 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Kudos, sjohnny.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My ancestors' bodies put a lot of effort into adapting so that when I was born I'd be able to eat yummy things like milk and cooked meats and lots of other things that humans have figured out how to produce that taste yummy that other animals haven't worked out yet. If I CAN eat it, and eating it won't cause irreversible damage to my health or make me feel ill, then I'm damn well going to eat it if I want.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Yeah, we got it the last time you said this.

Sorry, I was blissfully unaware he had posted this same crap in another thread.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    "It does a body good."
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    "It does a body good."

Pass it on.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, well said.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I drink milk. Whole milk. :drinker:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I find drinking cow milk to be pretty odd. Especially since it is designed to nourish baby cows, who gain hundreds of pounds in the first year of their life!! I think the mere fact that there are so many people who are lactose intolerant/ have trouble with milk is a clear sign that it is not good for us.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This is because we are at the top of the food chain. Opposable thumbs, critical thinking skills, etc. are what separate us from the other species on this planet.

ETA: And to the guys ready to milk humans, there was another thread on this where I commented that I believe the main reason there *isn't* human milk on the shelves is production costs would be too high.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    "It does a body good."

Pass it on.

How's that go?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I swear I have seen this somewhere...

Feels like deja vu.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    This is because we are at the top of the food chain. Opposable thumbs, critical thinking skills, etc. are what separate us from the other species on this planet.

ETA: And to the guys ready to milk humans, there was another thread on this where I commented that I believe the main reason there *isn't* human milk on the shelves is production costs would be too high.

I bet you would have lots of volunteer labor though.