Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.

Are you not concerned with potentially losing lean muscle though? Trust me I learned the hard way, I lost weight purely with cardio and it piled back on as soon as I loosened the reins a tiny bit.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Balance. If you want to do cardio to improve your heart and endurance, do it. If you want to lift weights to increase your strength, tone, and metabolism, do it. If you want to do tai chai or yoga to meditate or improve flexibility, do so. Hopefully people who want to lose weight and/or just have a healthy lifestyle will do some of all of the above for general health.

To the cardio people dissing on weight training though, please...you are not going to look like a she-male. You have to eat very specifically, be genetically pre-disposed to that, and train hard core for the very purpose. Get real. Weight training is a great addition to any work out program. It shouldn't have to be either or. Feel the love.:love:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.

Good heavens. What are you doing, lifting cars while running up Mount Everest?
  • ningggsm
    ningggsm Posts: 202
    Options
    I'd have to disagree. Lifting weights and I don't work well together, however I wish we did. So far my 60+lbs loss was from strict diet and cardio. I feel great, and have been loving the changes in my body so far. To me, cardio is just as important.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    OP is counterproductive.
  • Zomoniac
    Options

You're doing whatnow? I don't burn that running a full marathon.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    sorry to burst your bubble... but you are completely wrong.
    OP is counterproductive.
    I_590344_2201672.gif
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was slightly overweight, but on betablockers due to my high heart rate at rest. Walking up one set of stairs made me huff and puff and my hear was racing to the point I had palpitations.

I took up running. I said bye-bye to the betablockers, shortness of breath and palpitations. My heart rate at rest is now in the normal range and a single set of stairs doesn't kill me anymore.

You think I care that mixing cardio up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance?
    Sure, I'd love to have a strong body with little body fat and nice muscles (I am working on that), but the health of my heart and vascular system come first.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :noway:

Riiiight.
  • chrishg
    chrishg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ooooooooooooooooohhhhh. Ok, well in that case, I'll just go sit on the couch and watch TV instead.
  • Missfliss2012
    Options
    I guess it is quite easy to find excuses to avoid the hard work of getting properly fit through exercise if you want to, there are enough out there.

Have to say cardio works for me, although it does help to be accurate about the calories you've burned if you are weight-watching.

But as a runner who has really benefitted from doing this form of exercise (not just my opinion, but my doctor and chiropractor's, too), the one thing that annoys me is when people who do not exercise properly try to undermine my efforts and motivation - and note, this is usually only done by couch potatoes whose idea of exercise is to buy a heavier TV remote, 'cos people who exercise usually respect and encourage other people who exercise.

If people are following a sensible exercise regime and putting on weight then they are eating too much, period.

Or, if people cannot, say, run for a bus or walk comfortably up a hill whilst holding a conversation at the same time, and do not have a valid medical reason for this, then they need some cardio!

Right, I'm off for my morning run now.... 4 miles, that'll be a guilt-free choc bar later....
  • jerendeb
    jerendeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I run/ I ride - I'm 57. I''ve been doing that since I was 23. So I've been wrong for more than half my life? :huh: I think not. I don't even see the merit for discussion.
    But I can't keep my fingers still over this keyboard!
    No matter how one works out, the heart must beat harder to provide the oxygen & other functions needed to keep up. Long distance, sprinting, hill climbing, weight lifting, mowing the lawn, swimming, sex, walking, lumberjack, long shore 'person', postal walker, any one doing anything is cardio. The more stress we place on the cardio system the stronger we get. It's when we place distress on the cardio system that we degrade. Like office work only, screaming in traffic, arguing on a phone, etc.
    So life is cardio. Death is counterproductive:laugh:
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Jack-Donaghy-Facepalm.gif

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif
    Lmaooo I just can't.
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think this is up there with that "Brocolli causes cancer" article I once read.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    I think this is up there with that "Brocolli causes cancer" article I once read.

http://hellokinsella.posterous.com/the-daily-mail-list-of-things-that-give-you-c

Enjoy
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    To the cardio people dissing on weight training though, please...you are not going to look like a she-male. You have to eat very specifically, be genetically pre-disposed to that, and train hard core for the very purpose. Get real. Weight training is a great addition to any work out program. It shouldn't have to be either or. Feel the love.:love:

THIS. And there's nothing wrong with doing cardio on your non-lifting days. Balance, people!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cardio is KING

That is all
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No, Deadlifting is KING.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    LOL

I actually read this article a while ago and have forgotten most of it but it relates to steady state cardio post workout not being optimal for muscle building, something along the lines of it was a study that showed the enzyme AMPK is boosted after cardio and can effectively 'shut down' mTOR (enzyme that switches on muscle building process).

Not saying I agree, just pointing out that this thread is possibly not as absurd as it first appears.

http://nealhallinan.com/blog/uncategorized/ampk-inhibits-mtor-wtf/