Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    LOL

I actually read this article a while ago and have forgotten most of it but it relates to steady state cardio post workout not being optimal for muscle building, something along the lines of it was a study that showed the enzyme AMPK is boosted after cardio and can effectively 'shut down' mTOR (enzyme that switches on muscle building process).

Not saying I agree, just pointing out that this thread is possibly not as absurd as it first appears.

http://nealhallinan.com/blog/uncategorized/ampk-inhibits-mtor-wtf/

There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

That is not the question at all really.

You are implying that lifting weight is ONLY good for muscle building and cannot be used to reduce fat and the only way to do this is thought cardio. Which is not the case. Some people do cardio simply to maintain CV fitness.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    *smashing head into wall*
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    Wow... just.... wow..
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This just made me LOL! Funny!
    tumblr_maw2ywfyL71qbwr9w.gif
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I enjoy cardio, I enjoy weights. My body is changing for the better and I feel fitter and healthier than ive ever done in my life. I dont do what I do based on reading magazines, I do it because ive found it works for me.

All exercises have their place, one isnt better than the other, it just depends what works FOR YOU.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    *smashing head into wall*

Now... surely THAT's counterproductive? :noway:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Cardio, strength and flexibility are all areas we need to maintain for a healthy life.

They all work together, nothing is a waste of time.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    internet-memes-someone-is-wrong1.jpg

Shocking headlines sell magazines. End. Of. Story.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    There are sooooo many different angles on this they can't all be covered. But, if you're going to do both cardio AND weight lifting during the same workout then lift 1st. With the stored glycogen (energy) you will have a more intense lifting session (thus them talking about intensity), then when you do your cardio session after you will burn from fat from energy (as long as your working out on an empty stomach which not everyone can do.) If you do cardio 1st and deplete all that energy you lifting session won't be as intense (you'll think it's intense cuz you'll be working hard) as it could be with the stored energy.
    If I'm going to do both it's always Warm UP, Lifting and then Cardio. I don't do both together often but when I do...it's always lifting 1st.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is too much!
    Hmm, a weight lifting magazine says don't do cardio, just do weight lifting. Yeah, seems totally unbiased...

tigerpalm.jpg

When you find a article in Runner's Weekly telling you how weight lifting can hamper your endurance training, what will yu do then? Hide on the couch with a bag of Cheetos? All exercises have their place.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Know your source and don't be gullible about everything you read. The "all or nothing" attitude generally winds up being harmful.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I don't own a car so I get to cycle everywhere, cardio for the week all sorted (I do not cycle slowly by any means)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So? What do you do? When do you integrate cardio in your routine, pre-workout, post-workout or on separate times or dedicated to only cardio days? How often do you cardio your fat off?

It depends on my goals.

Right now I am training for a particularly gruelling cycling challenge I rather stupidly agreed to take part in next year. So, i do 3-4 cardio (cycling sessions) a week as well as 1 heavy weights session per week all on different days.

If I just wanted to strip down body fat then I would keep my diet tight and do 2 -3 weights sessions a week as well as 1-2 optional cardio sessions on different days. If I was pushed for time I would do weights first and then cardio second in one session but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference for your average punter.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.

You're doing whatnow? I don't burn that running a full marathon.

Agreed. My most recent stats: 4hrs 41min marathon; cals burned 3829 (using an HRM)

I actually would like to know your secret... unless you are in the gym for 8hrs on those four days or a contestant on the Biggest Loser... both options are out for me.
  • justrunjon
    Options
    Oh no, and I just paid out to enter a few road races! hmmm what to do!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I really hate any article that singles out certain exercises as useless or a waste of time.

Do what you're motivated to do, and stop listening to the people who say that this or that is a waste of time. NO EXERCISE IS A WASTE OF TIME IF YOU'RE DOING IT.

End of f***ing story.

This x a million.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting weights. But at 350 LBs im curious if its safe? I have a bad back too so that doesnt help.

You should definitely start lifting if this is something that interests you. If you prefer cardio, do that! If you do decide to go the route of lifting however, may I suggest hiring a good trainer for a few sessions to show you proper form and workout to minimize any possible accidents.

Regarding the topic, DO WHATEVER EXERCISE YOU LIKE. If you like cardio (like I do) then do that. If you like lifting, do that. DO NOT LET SOME <INSERT COLORFUL WORDS> TELL YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO. When you do something you like, you are more likely going to do it over a long period of time. I know lifting is awesome, but I just donot enjoy it. So rather than doing something I hate, I choose to do something I love which is walking, jogging, biking and boxing. All cardio, all giving me good enough results.

I agree with this. :) Do what you like doing because some exercise is better than no exercise and if it's enjoyable you'll do it more often. I don't particularly enjoy cardio. That's just me. I do SOME cardio for heart health, but I don't like it. LOL I like strength training so that's what my main focus is on. I am currently on my 2nd round of p90x. I think it's a decent mix of cardio and weights. I enjoy it (other than plyometrics... I don't enjoy it, but it's only once a week so I suck it up and do it LOL).
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.

You're doing whatnow? I don't burn that running a full marathon.

Agreed. My most recent stats: 4hrs 41min marathon; cals burned 3829 (using an HRM)

I actually would like to know your secret... unless you are in the gym for 8hrs on those four days or a contestant on the Biggest Loser... both options are out for me.

She does have 132 pounds left to lose which drastically increases the amount of calories she burns doing the same exercises as someone smaller (ie: you)

She also says she spends 4 hours in the gym on those days. Even cycling leisurely at that weight for that amount of time will burn 2000+ calories.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

Try picking up heavy weights and when I say heavy I mean you can pick the weight up 8-10 times with good form and speed, but no more, because you would lose form or your speed would be really slow. Wait 1 minute and do it again. This shoots my heart rate to 155 I have a hard time getting my heart rate that high while doing high impact cardio.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    There are sooooo many different angles on this they can't all be covered. But, if you're going to do both cardio AND weight lifting during the same workout then lift 1st. With the stored glycogen (energy) you will have a more intense lifting session (thus them talking about intensity), then when you do your cardio session after you will burn from fat from energy (as long as your working out on an empty stomach which not everyone can do.) If you do cardio 1st and deplete all that energy you lifting session won't be as intense (you'll think it's intense cuz you'll be working hard) as it could be with the stored energy.
    If I'm going to do both it's always Warm UP, Lifting and then Cardio. I don't do both together often but when I do...it's always lifting 1st.

This is exactly what I do. 45 minutes lifting 15-25 minutes on a stationary bike doing interval training.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 70lbs before and during MFP and all I do is run. I hate cross training :( Oh, and I also have some ab definition now and I never do crunches :)