Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What if you have to run away from Zombies?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I guess I did not lose close to 60lbs.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Nevermind
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed but this is ****ing garbage.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Jack-Donaghy-Facepalm.gif

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif
    Lmaooo I just can't.

Lol, it's too early for this kind of thread....I need the entertaining threads in the afternoon when work is slow..... :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but I will say that it really depends on your fitness goals. If it is to run distance races, then I can't say that I agree. However, if you are looking to gain strength and/or mass, then cardio should be kept to a minimum.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but I will say that it really depends on your fitness goals. If it is to run distance races, then I can't say that I agree. However, if you are looking to gain strength and mass, then cardio should be kept to a minimum.

Agreed.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    d90gd.jpg
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Turbo Fire ? P90X hybrid and I've never sweat or burned as many calories as I have doing the Hiit workouts in Turbo Fire. It makes reguar cardio easy. I'm really likeing it because I'm not a big runner and this workout burns more cals in 30 minutes then if I was to run 10 miles
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Was the article for body builders or fitness in general? I have a feeling it was meant for the heavy lifters who are focused on mass gains. If so, then yes the article has 'some' truth.

However, for general fitness it's a load of crap. Cardio is the single best thing for your CARDIOvascular system as far as exercises. Yes lifting can get your heart rate going, but nowhere near the higher and sustained levels you can get to with cardio. I do cardio to increase my endurance and to top off my daily caloric burn goals that I don't reach during lifting. On the days I don't lift I do a little more cardio, on the days I do lift I do less.

A good balance of weight training and cardio can't be beat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    IMO its fairly clear the article is relating to muscle building. Which makes it correct.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

Take a read here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It almost smells like troll around here....:grumble:
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

Take a read here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

Thats carb cycling tbh and not related really to this thread.
    It almost smells like troll around here....:grumble:

Nope, she's actually my OH.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    *smashing head into wall*

Dear sweet baby Jesus.

Cardio helped me lose 32 lbs. I think it works.
    Dumb.
  • Runner50266
    Options
    I guess I won't run my Half Marathon Sunday....it's counter productive to everything I've ever done.

LOL love that.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Studies show that excessive cardiovascular exercise can increase belly fat, due to deposits of cortiso added because of stressing the body. Obviously marathon runners don't have this problem, not that marathon running is healthy, but your average exerciser can attest to belly fat not going away. Not everybody, so don't start yelling at me if you disagree! :)
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options

did you run into it? cause if you did... it shouldn't hurt.. the opposite effect happens :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Dear sweet baby Jesus.

Cardio helped me lose 32 lbs. I think it works.
    Dumb.

Congrats on the 32 lbs. I don't think anyone is doubting that cardio will help you achieve weight loss. The question is concerning how it might interfere with strength gains. The answer, if your goals are to gain strength, is that doing too much cardio along with heavy strength training can and will be counterproductive at some point.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell people cardio is counterproductive. Sure, there are some who have fitness goals where cardio doesn't do much for their progress. For some, it is quintessential. I've never seen or heard of anyone gaining because they were doing cardio.