Words you Butchered as a kid?

Replies

• jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Pancakes = panicakes

Spaghetti = pasketti
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    I was raised in the French language so for me, instead of saying oui (yes) I would say i (e), I would also call a vache (cow) yash
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    I didn't do this, but my daughter would say "spitachios" instead of pistachios. She is 13 now. Her dad & I didn't even correct her until she was around 8 because we would laugh every time she said it. The only word I really butchered, per my parents, was "kitchen". I'd say "kickin".

My daughter would also say "tick-el-eeeeeeee" for "typically" in one of the Kenny Chesney songs.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    The one I hear the story for the most is 'valinna' for vanilla. Before my grandpa died, we'd go to dinner with him and my grandma every other Sunday (when we weren't at Dad's). It was usually at Bob Evans or Richards with occasional local restaurants thrown in. For dessert, I'd either have pumpkin or sugar cream pie (just like Papa) or vanilla ice cream. I'd insist on telling the waitress myself what I wanted, sitting up straight and proudly asking for my valinna ice cream.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    specific = pacific
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Cinnamon = "Cin-mon-in"

I also had a speech impediment with Rs, so Refrigerator became "Wefwidgawato".
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    spaghetti........"basketti"

pasketti

hehehe...me too! :laugh:
  • Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    I can't quite remember mine, but here are a few from my nephew (who is now 10, but we still tease him about these):
    Bre-fix = Breakfast
    Bagrilla = Gorilla
    Bee-lax daaahling, bee-laaaax = "Relax darling, relax!"
    Hah-wash = Carwash (when singing the song)
    A b c d e f g, haychi k k emelimo p = a b c d e f g, h i j k l m n o p
    Hauntie = Auntie

He had a lot of great ones... as I remember them I'll post again lol
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    turch = church per my little brother
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I had good pronunciation when I was little. But my dad, being 18 when I was learning to talk, decided to mess me up on purpose. So he taught me that a remote control was called a kitty-cat which I called it for FOREVER. and then every time someone picked up a knife they told me not to touch it because it was sharp, so I honestly thought a knife was called a sharp for years.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    True story -- My younger cousin would always say "I want a truck" for Christmas. Well, he had a slight lisp so "truck" was not always pronounced properly, Soooo I will let you all guess what it actually sound like. Definitely got us all into trouble whenever we asked him what he wanted ;-)
  • My youngest: youngin' = onion
    spaghetti= pasketti

My oldest: Pepsi Cola = Pepi Tola
    Ice cream = icky
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    When my daughter was little, she called pistachios "matthews". No idea why. She also called Watermelon "mee-melon" and marshmallows were "mee-mallows". Sometimes we still call them that out of an old habit.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    My Papa raised me with hunting dogs I would throw a towel and scream "da' beered!!!!" Instead of dead bird.
    And I proudly sang at the top of lungs "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel (Lucille)" along with "you dropped the farm (bomb) on me, baby!"

My kids have some good ones
    The 4 year old: instead of "It's annoying me" he says "It's anoring me"
    The 6 year old quotes CARS 2 wrong daily: "don't get your engines in a twist" is quoted as "don't give providence a twist"
    The 9 year old: instead of "vacuum" pronounces it Vak-Koom
    The girl says: Hot Choco instead of hot cocoa
    The 10 year old: Suposably for Supposedly
    The 15 year old: Coincidence is pronounced Coin-in-side-dents by him unless he says the word really slowly.

My sister when we were little said "Hang-Ga-Ber" instead of Hamburger
    And my brother said "lackin-like" instead of acting like
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    I never really butchered words as a kid - my mother had this thing where she made me say things correctly all the time. But I always called Cucumbers - grammas. It started because I didn't know what they were and I only ever got them at my grammas.
  • Katiedid717
    Katiedid717 Posts: 48 Member
    I had an advanced reading level when I was younger, so I would see a word I hadn't heard in everyday life and figure out what it meant from context but not know how to pronounce it.

I was 6 or 7 and my mother was driving all of us in the back seat. "Oh, mommy, it's like your a choffer!"

"A what?"

"A choffer! You know, a person who drives limos and stuff."

She started laughing so hard when she realized I meant chauffeur!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    My daughter couldn't say asparagus for a long time, it was as-per-OH-gus.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    spaghetti........"basketti"

pasketti

hehehe...me too! :laugh:

Freaks! Everyone knows it SKA-betty. :grumble: I evolved to call them slides since I only ate spaghetti by sucking up each noodle like a straw.

My mom called apples happles.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    When my cousin was a toddler she couldn't say "sandwhich". It always came out weechurch,
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Hospital-hostipal
    Umbrella-Umbiella