Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I am getting pretty good results combining resistance and cardio. Mind you I'm just a fat girl, and not really training for any athletic events. But the weight is really falling off, and I am just going to keep on keeping on!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the OP. You went trolling and you caught a whopper. You should become a trolling consultant.

When all of the muscle heads are dropping like flies prematurely because their weak heart gives out, I wonder how counterproductive cardio will seem to them then.

No congrats must go to you. For the dumbest statement on the thread quite possibly "muscle heads dropping dead prematurely" nice....
    What's dumb about it? Cardio exercise has been a proven important component of long-term heart health. No cardio means higher risk for cardiac death later in life. It's basic logic really.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the OP. You went trolling and you caught a whopper. You should become a trolling consultant.

When all of the muscle heads are dropping like flies prematurely because their weak heart gives out, I wonder how counterproductive cardio will seem to them then.

I do not do cardio as I do not like it - so, it will serve me right if I drop dead of a weak heart?
    That's a straw man argument and doesn't deserve a direct response.

You are simply increasing your risk of cardiac death and cardiovascular disease later in life. It's pretty simple actually.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting weights. But at 350 LBs im curious if its safe? I have a bad back too so that doesnt help.

Just start with lighter weights. Even using 2-3 lbs dumb bells while watching tv to get you going.
    If and when you belong to a gym meet with a personal trainer to show you how to use the equipment.
    Good luck.:happy:
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am getting pretty good results combining resistance and cardio. Mind you I'm just a fat girl, and not really training for any athletic events. But the weight is really falling off, and I am just going to keep on keeping on!

Fat girls unite!

Get it, woman! :)
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    If Dr. Oz or a magazine told people that breathing was bad for them, we could seriously weed out some of the stupid.
  • rm7161
    Options
    and if Im training with weights, I make sure my cardio is done on a day im not training legs and after I weight train.

I've been doing cardio after weight training. I am still pretty much a lightweight and began with the weight machines (which aren't all that great, but better than nothing) that were available to me in the apartment gym. I looked up videos on youtube on how to use them, and spend only about 15 minutes max on them after a warmup. But steadily increasing the weight. Then I use the elliptical machine (which is a very nice fitness club quality unit) and been steadily upping the resistance with that, too, using its crosstraining program. I spend a grand total of 45 minutes a day in the gym, 30 minutes being cardio. That combined with logging my diet here on MFP, I've lost over 27 pounds since July.

I feel the truth of what the article I found on Muscle and Fitness in my own limbs. Unsure where the OP got her information from, because it doesn't seem to correspond at all with the article I read and linked to.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    @ papadunx... going totally off topic here but had to say it...

I love your profile pic!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have tried, I can't go lift without a quick warm-up mile on the treadmill. It could be/probably is psychological, but whatever. It makes me feel good :smile:
  • ladyt02
    Options
    great ideas, can u share more so i can get 10lbs off..
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Well, I know, FOR MYSELF PERSONALLY, that cardio helps me waaaaay more than weight lifting/strength training did. My favourite thing is circuit training so I get both. But when I was doing mainly strength training with only a little cardio I seriously started to bulk up. I was GETTING BIGGER. The tape measure proved it and even my boyfriend noticed I was getting bigger. And since I don't want to get bigger I stopped that and started doing mainly cardio with only a little strength training and I have finally lost weight and inches after months of losing absolutely nothing.

But that is just my personal experience. For me, cardio actually works way better than strength training (however I do have PCOS and I know of a few other ladies with it that have had the same experience with strength training bulking them up) but my favourite is to mix up the two with a bit more cardio such as days with ONLY cardio (Not like treadmill cardio, but videos that are mainly cardio but still use a lot of core and legs) and circuit training days. I no longer do JUST strength days anymore and that has shown to work for my body.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Well, I know, FOR MYSELF PERSONALLY, that cardio helps me waaaaay more than weight lifting/strength training did. My favourite thing is circuit training so I get both. But when I was doing mainly strength training with only a little cardio I seriously started to bulk up. I was GETTING BIGGER. The tape measure proved it and even my boyfriend noticed I was getting bigger. And since I don't want to get bigger I stopped that and started doing mainly cardio with only a little strength training and I have finally lost weight and inches after months of losing absolutely nothing.

But that is just my personal experience. For me, cardio actually works way better than strength training (however I do have PCOS and I know of a few other ladies with it that have had the same experience with strength training bulking them up) but my favourite is to mix up the two with a bit more cardio such as days with ONLY cardio (Not like treadmill cardio, but videos that are mainly cardio but still use a lot of core and legs) and circuit training days. I no longer do JUST strength days anymore and that has shown to work for my body.

I have PCOS as well, plus hypothyroid, (and celiac disease, but that has no bearing really on weight loss... rather gluten free diet if the carbs aren't watched like a hawk, will contribute to weight gain in a recovering celiac) and I have had no issues losing weight once I started to really control my diet (use a food scale, I suggest people buy one, posthaste). But, now my thyroid is medicated, and I strictly control my caloric intake. My exercise simply doesn't burn enough calories to not watch the diet like a hawk. I don't want to spend hours in the gym either.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, Mell! Appreciating the comment! :0))
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I sandwich it. I run, lift, and then do more low impact cardio. I currently cardio more than I lift, but that is just my preference.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do not do cardio as I do not like it - so, it will serve me right if I drop dead of a weak heart?
    That's a straw man argument and doesn't deserve a direct response.

You are simply increasing your risk of cardiac death and cardiovascular disease later in life. It's pretty simple actually.

ok then dear.

BTW: not doing cardio does not increase my risk - it just may not reduce it. There are many other things I do to decrease the risk also.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Muscle & Fitness is NOT a medical journal. I stopped reading it years ago when I realized that it was chuck full of guys promoting protein powder & vitamins, when their physiques were due to massive steroid use. I've dropped 12 lbs. in a month combining weightlifting and cardio in every workout. It's anecdotal evidence, I know. But there's a couple thousand people on MFP that can make the same point.
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I guess sarcasm and a sense of humour is not easily digestible, no pun intended. :0)

Thank you for your comment.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Whether something is productive or counterproductive would depend on an individual's goals. Cardio does make me feel good and improves my performance in many other activities i.e. cycling. that being said i get a good feeling from weight training too. as with cardio, weight training improves my performance in other ways with increased strength. doing both IMO provides me with good a overall health and fitness level. that said someone else might have specific goals that require more focus on one or the other.
  • latormenta2u
    Options
    I would start with aqua training using resistance. Less likely to damage your back and no stress on your joints.