Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• MDIRunner
    Options
    I guess I won't run my Half Marathon Sunday....it's counter productive to everything I've ever done.
  • MDIRunner
    Options
    hehe. love this reply
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Whether something is productive or counterproductive would depend on an individual's goals. Cardio does make me feel good and improves my performance in many other activities i.e. cycling. that being said i get a good feeling from weight training too. as with cardio, weight training improves my performance in other ways with increased strength. doing both IMO provides me with good a overall health and fitness level. that said someone else might have specific goals that require more focus on one or the other.

This pretty much in a nutshell.

For the average person, combining cardio and weight training gives you the most bang for your buck, so sayeth two medical journals and um, Muscle and Fitness.

Might be different for a bodybuilder, but that's not the goal of a great many of us here.

edit: links added.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/other/should-you-do-weight-training-cardio-same-day

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22492939

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22460475
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump (read thread when I have more time)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on separate days normally, but sometimes I run at night even if I lifted that morning, since there's a lot of time between the two.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I guess sarcasm and a sense of humour is not easily digestible, no pun intended. :0)

Thank you for your comment.

You're welcome, of course you were "only joking", ha ha.

See, I can use the same magazine to show the opposite. But it is true that there is a physical limit to the storage of glycogen, and this is the reason that bodybuilders do split days. But just sayin... there's no scientific evidence that this is actually better for an average person with a time limited schedule needing to fit exercise into a busy life. Seems that mixing it up, allows someone to get more benefits with less exercise expending on each. There is simply no difference at all between separating it and combining it, aside that you can do less exercise for the same benefit if combined.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my ticker.
  • Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *smashing head into wall*

No kidding! Ugh!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Please tell me now...will I make it to tomorrow? If not...I'm gonna have some pie....
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well... I decided to see if it was true.

The website article is here.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/other/should-you-do-weight-training-cardio-same-day
    However, the results of the studies actually showed that performing weight training and cardio on the same day had no negative effects on endurance training, resistance training, or muscle growth. In fact, they found that doing 50 percent less of both types of exercise on the same day produced the same results as doing full workouts devoted to one or the other. So, if you’ve been doing your weight training and cardio on separate days, combine your workout to get more bang for your buck.

Sadly that is not the article in question: HIIT High Intensity Training Interval Training Anti-Catabolic Fat Burning by Dr Daniel Reardon and Mark Gilbert (page 114 of the October 2012 issue) :0))
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. The article was talking about cardio being counterproductive to strength gains. If you are someone who is lifting heavy and whose goal is to gain strength/size, then cardio can and most likely will hinder your gains. If you are someone whose goal is endurance or distance running or just enjoy cardio more than lifting, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with cardio and it is a wonderful workout.

The title of the thread is misleading, but if you take time to understand what it is saying, then you will see that it isn't bashing cardio. All it's saying is be careful how you use cardio when training for maximum strength and size.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I will keep doing my cardio,thank you. I enjoy it, it lets me eat more, and my *kitten* is looking pretty darn good because of it. I am adding some strength training too....but I am keeping my cardio. And my health thanks me for it.
  • DL717
    DL717 Posts: 31
    Options
    No, Deadlifting is KING.

Deadlifts make me feel like a bad *kitten*. :smile:
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. The article was talking about cardio being counterproductive to strength gains. If you are someone who is lifting heavy and whose goal is to gain strength/size, then cardio can and most likely will hinder your gains. If you are someone whose goal is endurance or distance running or just enjoy cardio more than lifting, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with cardio and it is a wonderful workout.

The title of the thread is misleading, but if you take time to understand what it is saying, then you will see that it isn't bashing cardio. All it's saying is be careful how you use cardio when training for maximum strength and size.

Thank you, IPG!!! :smile:
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

That's great, and if the title of the post had been "You should separate cardio and strength to maximize gains" not many people would have had a problem with it. Instead it had a provocative and misleading title, followed by a provocative and misleading post, and incidentally a link to an article with a reasonable premise. That's what we call trolling, and it not cool. Just because the article she linked to has merit, doesn't mean her post is valid or makes sense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I agree with the fact that excessive cardio is not conducive to strength gains, but moderate cardio should not have that impact

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Options

That's great, and if the title of the post had been "You should separate cardio and strength to maximize gains" not many people would have had a problem with it. Instead it had a provocative and misleading title, followed by a provocative and misleading post, and incidentally a link to an article with a reasonable premise. That's what we call trolling, and it not cool. Just because the article she linked to has merit, doesn't mean her post is valid or makes sense.

Hello there,

Thank you for your comment. Appreciating it! :0))

The HIIT High Intensity Training Interval Training Anti-Catabolic Fat Burning by Dr Daniel Reardon and Mark Gilbert is currently not available online, reason why no link has been posted to aid our debate.

Trolling? I was not aware titles of posts must fully reveal contents of discussion. However, I do understand it is a lot easier to be dismissive and disrespectful online. No heart feelings. All opinions are most welcome.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The interesting argument from NROL4W is that long periods of steady cardio increase endurance. A rough definition of endurance is the ability to keep going, for longer, a large part of which is improving cardiovascular health, and some of which is training your body to become more energy efficient. The first is obviously a good thing for everyone, with heart disease remaining a huge problem in most of our countries. The second is more troublesome, if you are still trying to lose weight. If you are becoming more 'energy efficient', your body is learning how to go further while burning less calories, so the argument is that over time you'll have to run further and further to burn the same amount of calories. That's why the author of NROL4W recommends mixing up the cardio with HIIT.

I know many of you MFP veterans already now this, and sorry for preaching to the choir! Thought it might be interesting for some 'noobs' like me (:
  • PuffedMummy
    Options
    Not topic related, but I love your counter motif.