Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Going out to Red Lobster tonight to celebrate a girl friend's 50th birthday - looking forward to ordering salmon! Shuddering with terror over my control issues with their Cheddar Bay biscuits - hope to keep myself to just two - I know one will not be enough!

Will be at my friends house for the weekend. Will take pedometer and try for a walk Friday and Saturday. Home on Sunday and since we're facing weather in the very low 30's plan to walk the halls of the condo building on Sunday. Too cold for me to be out with my asthma!

Keep up the exercise everybody - I'm very impressed with everyone!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Going out to Red Lobster tonight to celebrate a girl friend's 50th birthday - looking forward to ordering salmon! Shuddering with terror over my control issues with their Cheddar Bay biscuits - hope to keep myself to just two - I know one will not be enough!

Will be at my friends house for the weekend. Will take pedometer and try for a walk Friday and Saturday. Home on Sunday and since we're facing weather in the very low 30's plan to walk the halls of the condo building on Sunday. Too cold for me to be out with my asthma!

Your weather information made me giggle because you called it very cold. I live in MN starting in Oct- March the 30's is normal somtimes even considered a high warm day- temps can get below zero here in the winter time. It was 35 this morning and I was still wearing flip flops outside. Hehehehe!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Your weather information made me giggle because you called it very cold. I live in MN starting in Oct- March the 30's is normal somtimes even considered a high warm day- temps can get below zero here in the winter time. It was 35 this morning and I was still wearing flip flops outside. Hehehehe!

Zoinks! It was 40 on my walk into work this morning and i was bundled up like an eskimo! :laugh: I'm still wearing my gloves and the sweater i leave at work 'cause I'm FREEZING inside the office. I don't think I'd survive below zero weather....... I'm already missing the rest of my insulating fat right this second........

Fitness Friday - The walking to work is really going to be manageable to me I think. I'll start with 3 days a week for a light day and the other two days of the week + Saturday do a 3+ mile walk in the afternoons. I'm going to have to invest in a raincoat and some rainboots to get this done. First of next month I planned on shopping for some clothes to wear over Christmas so I'll look into them then.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options

Sharing laughs at myself and MowMow because I am a total wuss when it comes to cold weather. I admire your MN sensibility and ability to PLAY outside in the snow and really cold air. Cuz of my asthma I live in head-swaddling scarves when the wind starts to blow in the 30's and live in long-johns under my jeans and double socks.

I am in a WOOT mood because I just bought a silly, silly hat off of ETSY that I had found and admired on PINTEREST for a long time. Its white wool and its a cap with ear flaps and ties under the chin. What makes it distinct, is, it has fox shaped ears of white wool, tipped in black. I KNOW I"M 61 and its utterly ridiculous to be wearing a hat like this but I don't care! :laugh: I intend to be warm when I wear it and put a smile on people's faces when they see me! I also am WOOTING because I found a white wool coat my size for $15 on Craigs List yesterday which will go with the hat, so I am cooking for the winter. Now I have an alternate to my daily poly filled brown bubble coat that makes me look like a huge cossack! :wink:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Sharing laughs at myself and MowMow because I am a total wuss when it comes to cold weather. I admire your MN sensibility and ability to PLAY outside in the snow and really cold air. Cuz of my asthma I live in head-swaddling scarves when the wind starts to blow in the 30's and live in long-johns under my jeans and double socks.

I am in a WOOT mood because I just bought a silly, silly hat off of ETSY that I had found and admired on PINTEREST for a long time. Its white wool and its a cap with ear flaps and ties under the chin. What makes it distinct, is, it has fox shaped ears of white wool, tipped in black. I KNOW I"M 61 and its utterly ridiculous to be wearing a hat like this but I don't care! :laugh: I intend to be warm when I wear it and put a smile on people's faces when they see me! I also am WOOTING because I found a white wool coat my size for $15 on Craigs List yesterday which will go with the hat, so I am cooking for the winter. Now I have an alternate to my daily poly filled brown bubble coat that makes me look like a huge cossack! :wink:
    LOL...I honestly hate the cold and when it snows I will hit the gym or mall vs walking outside. My sister lives in a warm state we visited at christmas time it was 50 they had on hats, gloves and coats. We were wearing t-shirts and shorts.
    It's fun to have people to talk with in many different states it makes life fun.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I went to physical therapy today, walked about 5 blocks, went to the bank and the pharmacy. I think that is about all the fitness I can handle today! Hope to continue my daily walks and get faster as I go.
    My knee is doing really well. I have full extension, and a flex of 115 degrees. The pain is getting less all the time.
    Have a safe and happy weekend, everyone. Kaye
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Funny about the weather stories, its 80 here today - so still flip-flop weather. It gets much below 50 and its too cold for me (and I grew up in NY). :laugh:

Kaye~Glad to hear you are having improvement and less pain every day!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    wednesday wish, that my attitude improves. i'm not doing the best lately. not diet wise or anything. that's fine. people are just pissing me off. for everything. sigh. i need a moment of zen. or a lot of moments :laugh:
    Oops I posted for Thursday cause my brain is a day off. I am in this boat with you my attitude sucks lately and I need to regroup.

Regrouping sounds like exactly the right thing for me. Easier said than done lol
    I am now home from the rehab center. I would really recommend in-patient therapy to anyone contemplating knee or hip surgery. I have made good progress. Pain is still an issue, but getting less.
    It sounds like everyone is needing a pick-me-up. I guess my wish for today would be for all of us to look at the bright side and enjoy the journey.
    Tomorrow morning I will weigh in and start tracking my food again.

glad to see you're up and about.
    Wednesday Wish~Strength for my uncle, who lost his wife this morning. She's been battling CREST syndrome for several years and lost her battle due to some complications.

how sad. prayers for your uncle.
    Here is an update my BF and I had a huge heart to heart and we woke the kids up at 11pm to deal with all the family issues. I feel good about how things went between the adults in the house and going forward I believe we will be on the same page. My BF has never been a full time parent till now with kids because they lived with their mom, being I have been one for 11yrs of a child with behavior issues I can really give him some insight to things. He admitted he needs to stop being their friend and be a better parent in their life.
    I woke up this morning feeling happy, refreshed and ready to conquer the world.

good news that he's willing to work with you on this.
    Thursday Truth:: I don't really have a truth but my best friend a few years ago lost one of her really good friends. He took too many sleeping pills and went driving and wrecked, well just last night his brother committed suicide. So my friend has lost another friend and the family of those two boys...I just ask for lots of prayers and thoughts for them. I can't imagine. I didn't know either of these guys. They one who passed a few years ago was 19 the one who passed last night was 20. I just had to share and hope that the prayers reach the family of those two boys. I'll never understand suicide.

Tina

that's just tragic. i'll never understand it either. just horrible. prayers for that family
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

we're currently having a cold streak and it's like 65 i think. in january the high will sometimes be as low as the 30's but that's pretty freaking extreme for new mexico.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Kaye -- glad to hear you're home and recovering well, and going for walks outdoors.
    @Kelley -- sorry to hear about your uncle's wife.
    @Raven -- so far I have thoroughly enjoyed every bit of evil junk food I've eaten! I'd be really distressed if I bought a burger as a big treat and it had no flavour. I've never been a big fan of Burger King though. Good to see you here and you don't have to check in all the time! Good luck with the job; fingers crossed!
    @Nzenczak -- good to see you back.
    @Mnwalkingqueen -- really hoping that you and your partner can start helping those kids.
    @Tina -- really sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I don't understand suicide either but I've known enough people who struggle with depression to know how difficult it can be when it feels like there's no way forward.
    @Robin -- it's been fairly cold here this week but still clear and sunny. I'm trying to make sure to do plenty of running before the really cold wet weather sets in. I think it's really hard to manage the appetite effects of steroids, so maintaining and walking is a good compromise I'm sure.
    @Christine -- I adore cornbread muffins; definitely coming up in the next week's meal plan with chilli. All my cooking is about winter stews at the moment.
    @Kris -- Well done walking to work! I feel like that when I walk up to the hospital -- when I first got ill I had to take the bus to get there because it was too far for me to walk (it's about a mile and a half). Now I plan runs so I can run up there and walk back, but now it's not even far enough and I have to add extra running in in my 40 minutes.
    @Tammy -- brilliant for sorting out the garden shed (...I need to do that!... I want to put the chairs away before the winter, and sort out some junk in there... This weekend!). And the garage too! What a star you are.
    @Kitty -- I think if you manage your overall cals then the odd day where the macros are screwy is ok really. It's worth googling the professor who ate a calorie-controlled diet mostly consisting of Twinkies. I don't know why I'm motivated to keep exercising. Partly it's because it's stuff I really enjoy (badminton, dance) and partly it's because I like the way it makes me feel (running, strength). For food though, it's easier -- so far I have stayed motivated because I've mostly been planning and cooking the food, so it is the number of cals it is. On the rare occasions we've had a big meal out I just keep telling myself that I'm there to see my loved ones, not to stuff my gut.
    @Tom -- three miles is quite a long walk. I have a friend who was just about 3 miles from the office and walked every dry day along the riverbank (the Thames path). His office moved so he's now 4.5 miles away, and it's just too far.
    @skinnyjeanz -- enjoy your break!
    @Toots -- 65 is a *warm summer's day* in London. And 45 is *rather chilly*. We don't get much extreme temperature here...

Best (and cheapest) meal this week was mince hotpot:

Fry a pound of beef mince (ground beef) with two chopped onions, crushed garlic, and some chopped celery until it's all nicely browning. I didn't add fat because I used the 20% fat mince in the first place. Then add some carrots, potatoes, turnips and parsnips, all in smallish chunks (I used 300g of potatoes because that was all I had, three big carrots, one big turnip, and one big parsnip). Add a beef stock cube, a well rinsed can of beans (I used flageolet but really any bean will do here: the original recipe used baked beans but I never have them in hence regular beans and tomato sauce), and a 200g pack of passata (tomato sauce), some worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp dried mixed herbs, lots of black pepper and a couple of pints of water, bring to the boil and then leave to bubble away slowly for hours and hours.

About half an hour before serving, make horseradish dumplings: mix 120g of self-raising flour (or flour and some baking powder), 80g of shredded suet (I used light vegetable suet), an egg, a pinch of salt, 2 tsp grated horseradish, and enough cold water to form into a dough. Form into small balls (flour your hands) and then drop onto the top of the stew for the last 25 minutes. Dumplings *more than double* in size when you cook them.

This made 7 servings at about 500 cals per serving. If I hadn't boxed up the three spare servings *before we sat down* my family would have gobbled the lot. Suet dumplings make it feel really wicked though in fact it wasn't at all.

So, what happened with exercise this week:

Well, I did indeed get a flu jab, and I think it tired me out a bit though I didn't notice any signs of illness. It's a bit colder here now -- not cold like Minnesota! But nippy enough (high 40s) that if I'm running I put a vest on as well as a t-shirt, and if I'm not running I'm layered up with a fleece. Which was a problem on Thursday, when I took the bus up to the mall and then ran most of the way back... in my fleece..., and on Tuesday, when I ran up to the hospital in a t-shirt and then was too cold to walk back so had to run enough of the way back to keep warm...

Saturday -- badminton -- DONE (this is a rest day)
    Sunday -- W7D2 of Ease into 5k DONE, plus badminton DONE, plus a little strength maybe NOPE and in fact I have done essentially no strength all week. So that's a target for next week.
    Monday -- dance mat... no, but did an hour of light walking.
    Tuesday -- W7D3 of Ease into 5k DONE
    Wednesday -- dance mat + maybe archery? no, went to an all abilities badminton club and although I wasn't very good I was *good enough*. So that was a bit of a win really.
    Thursday -- W8D1 of Ease into 5k -- sort of failed this run; I stopped halfway through and didn't really pick up. I did do lots of walking today as well as this; 90 minutes walking and 20 minutes running.
    Friday -- badminton -- DONE -- 2 1/2 hours! Plus a walk.

So, as far as the pedometer challenge goes, I think I've put on 13 more miles over the week (not counting the badminton), for 20 total.

Plan for next week:

Saturday: W8D1 of Ease into 5k (again), plus badminton, plus some walking.
    Sunday: Archery (I know I keep saying this) plus badminton
    Monday: W8D2 of Ease into 5k
    Tuesday: dance mat
    Wednesday: W8D3 of Ease into 5k
    Thursday: badminton
    Friday: Christmas shopping
    Plus I definitely am going to do some strength training.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

-- Alison
  • clijun
    clijun Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    friday - restarting tae bo regiment going to every day because the weather went south so running on the off days is out for the duration of winter
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have had a low energy day today but did get my walks in, went to check on my neighbor twice and went to a worship night at church. Can't believe it is almost 10:30pm already. Continuing my walks right now until cold weather hits then will be using Richard Simmons videos. Going to have to get rid of my coffee table so I have space to exercise as I live in a small apartment. Its a junk collector anyway so I won't miss it. Well I'm about ready for bed.

Allison, your stew sounds yummy.

Take care everyone, love you all.

Christine
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi all I had a pretty good day. I was out and about all day. I havent got in any workout yet today but you never know I might get one yet before I go to bed. I am at my brothers house right now watching my neice and nephew while their parents go b-day shopping. I brought over the ing and cooked supper for all of them as a surprise for them at the end of the day. Allison your stew sounds amazing. The only thing I was unclear on was the suet I dont think I know what that is but I know I have never met a dumpling I didnt love. I didnt get my lawn mowed yet since I was out running all day. Probably wont get done tomorrow either as I am running errands and shopping with my mom and the rain moves back in on Sunday. Oh well. I have decided to try eating fish once a week until I train myself to like it. It is so healthy and good for you and my husband can bring home hand filleted top quality fish from work for free since he works on a fishing boat. Well here is to a happy, sucessful, healthy weekend to all of us:drinker: :drinker:
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! I've been totally MIA with the weekend and then taking my daughter and her 2 friends to Justin Beiber on Monday night and then driving them home 2 1/2 hours away yesterday. My food choices were horrible but I'm back on track today.

Justin Beiber? You poor thing. I think that would push me to eat too. Glad to hear your back on track.
  • susan2396
    Options
    Weds. Wish - I'm feeling the urge to fluff my nest - so I'm going to Goodwill to look for artwork for my living room walls - have had a gaping blank space on one wall since I've moved in & need a seascape or water scene of some sort - so my wish today is to get lucky at Goodwill and find something appropriate for the space and colors (soft blues and greens) of my room. Wish me luck!

Second wish - oh heck why not , I can have two please? Just some more discipline with myself!

I was thinking the same thing. We're in a rental and in order to make it feel like home I had to hang up some pictures. I have this big blank wall though that's been bothering me too. I just can't find something I like. I wish I had an IKEA nearby. We had one in Atlanta, but no luck in Vegas (no pun intended). LOL!! They always had some really nice and fairly cheap black/white prints, which is what I think I want. I may need to check out our local Goodwill too. You never know what you'll find!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    I am now home from the rehab center. I would really recommend in-patient therapy to anyone contemplating knee or hip surgery. I have made good progress. Pain is still an issue, but getting less.
    It sounds like everyone is needing a pick-me-up. I guess my wish for today would be for all of us to look at the bright side and enjoy the journey.
    Tomorrow morning I will weigh in and start tracking my food again.

Thanks for the update and so glad to hear you're making good progress. I'm one of those that needs a little pick-me-up or soft kick in the gluteus maximus. I just hit a little funk myself, but I'm making these changes for life. Like you said I'm looking at the bright side and enjoying the journey (ups and downs).
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thursday Truth:: I don't really have a truth but my best friend a few years ago lost one of her really good friends. He took too many sleeping pills and went driving and wrecked, well just last night his brother committed suicide. So my friend has lost another friend and the family of those two boys...I just ask for lots of prayers and thoughts for them. I can't imagine. I didn't know either of these guys. They one who passed a few years ago was 19 the one who passed last night was 20. I just had to share and hope that the prayers reach the family of those two boys. I'll never understand suicide.

Tina

I'm so sorry to hear about this family. Suicide is just so hard to understand. I was in 8th grade when my best friend killed herself. Just a few months ago I had a dear friend who I grew up with and was married for 20 years. She had two kids a junior and senior in high school. Well, they were in the process of going through a divorce and her husband had found younger with 2 young kids. She gets a call that they found him out in a field and he had shot himself. I just cannot even fathom what this family went through. He left his immediate family, the girlfriend and her two young boys, mom/dad, brother, cousins, grandparents, friends, and so many people who loved him. We'll never know why.
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thanks again for the birthday wishes yesterday, it was a pretty quiet day. Today was busy - note to self do not take days off immediately following month-end close. I can't believe how much work I had to do today! :noway:

Wednesday Wish~Strength for my uncle, who lost his wife this morning. She's been battling CREST syndrome for several years and lost her battle due to some complications.

First of all, I'm sooo late. Happy Belated!!! It seems the older I get the quieter mine get too and I'm OK with that. I don't have to deal with month-end, but I often hate thinking about vacation (pre and post). You do so much to prepare to go, but when you get back you have so much to do too. Drives me nuts!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. What is CREST syndrome? I don't believe I've ever heard of it. I hope she wasn't in too much pain. Your uncle and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thursday truth - I did it! *flex* I walked to work this morning. It's not far, only 1.05 miles but it was a huge mental hurdle for me for some reason. It's so hard for me to believe that 7 months ago I had to stop and rest between the couch and the bathroom and now I can think nothing of walking to the drug store, the grocery store, or to work.

I get so excited when I think about how far each of us has come! All the wonderful things we couldn't do before that now seem routine. I can't wait to see all the things that we accomplish next that we thought we'd never get to do (or do again). These are exciting times my friends and I'm so thrilled to have this amazing group of people to share it with! :bigsmile:

Good job!!!! It's amazing how we get caught up in those hurdles. It's happened to me too many times to count, but once I push through it's amazing how easy it really was. Super proud of you! Plus, I totally agree. I can't wait to see the things we accomplish in the very near future. Keep it up. You rock!!!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    \My Uncle from Florida is visiting I haven't seen him since Feb. 2008 so it's good to see him. He is going to be opening up a branch of my Dad's business in Florida so that's why he's here. But tomorrow my Mom is making her lasagna and oh my it's the best around so tomorrow's dinner will definitely be a high calorie one....yet another reason to get a good workout in!!

Have a great Friday!

Tina

Enjoy your visit! Where in FL? My parents live in Sarasota. We go every year for spring break and love to visit. My parents live about 6 miles from the ocean. Siesta Key is my favorite beach!