Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I honestly found it sooooo much easier losing weight this time around (starting at age 38... 38.5 if you want to be particular) than it was last time at 32.

Last time, I tried too hard. I cut calories too much. I was too restrictive. Weight loss was slow and I felt like crap.

This time, I wasn't even aiming to lose, because I didn't believe I could, I just wanted to get healthier. So I wasn't very restrictive. I didn't cut calories too much... I ate in an appropriate deficit for the amount I had to lose, and lost the amount I was aiming to lose. I became more active and didn't think of exercise as punishing my body like I did in the past ("Ugh... I gotta do something about these thigh! Ugh... I gotta work off that piece of pizza!"), but as a reward... an investment in my health.

I'm sure to some, what I'm doing now isn't easy. I run 3-6 miles three times a week, and lift heavy weights three times a week. But to me, it's a helluva lot easier and more satisfiying to spend 30-60 minutes exercising most days and be able to eat pretty much whatever I want, and better still, get the results I want, than just cut calories more and more and more and never feel good.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and I have consistently lost weight since joining MFP because I've been consistent with my exercising and calorie intake. I think that exercising may be a bit more difficult or slow, but a lot of it is "state of mind" and "mind over matter". You really gotta want it. If you do aerobics to lose weight and strength train to tone up and watch what you eat, you will get to where you want to be. It may not be fast but it is attainable. Good luck and don't give up - be patient and keep thinking about how much better you will feel and look in 6 months, if you just keep going.... slow and steady wins the race.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel! I just turned 50, haven't felt -- and looked -- this great since somewhere in my 30s. Sure, things slow down but you just find a new rhythm and make the working harder fun rather than a chore! And it's exceedingly gratifying when 20-somethings say they want to be like me some day. P.S. I just tell myself the hot flashes burn more calories! (Have a look at my photos. You can definitely be more than "eh".)
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old and it has been a long struggle but I have had some success. I just keep falling off the wagon from time to time.
    This website is all the support I have. My family is kind but not supportive. My friends are small and can eat anything and really don't get it. I just refuse to give up.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I've lost 69 lbs since May. Still a long way to go...I'm only half-way there, but it is worth it. I "feel" younger with more energy, and many of the aches and pains I was beginning to experience are gone.
  • Mendham07945
    Mendham07945 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and started in January 2012. I went to Canyon Ranch in Tucson for a Weight Loss Program. I learned so much...and got my head screwed on straight for this journey.
    I'm currently down 63 pounds, with about 67 pounds to go.
    It's slow, but has become habit. When I look at calorie intake vs calories burned, I should be further ahead. No, it's not like losing weight in my 20s, but it still can be done.
    When I get discouraged, I look at my diary and remind myself that I've come a long way. The feedback from friends has been fantastic and keeps me going.
    I eat 1500 +/- calories/day, 10,000 Fitbit steps/day, weight training 2x/week.
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OK. Here it is.

I am 55 and have already gone thru menopause. Pffft! To the notion of difficult weight loss.

I'll never, ever, look like a 40yo again, but that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to regain control of myself, in a healthy and intelligent manner. Accepting who I am today is part of the process. (And some days I "get it", and some days I don't. The number of "get it" days" are increasing tenfold.)

No, the skin under my chin will ever be tight again (says my dermo), and my batwings will forever wave to some degree. I am very happy, very healthy and have the unconditional love of my husband. It's all good.

We've made the "lifestyle" change, that's what it was all about for us.

The time is NOW.

This could have been written by me, except I'm 56 years old. I have also gone thru menopause without much problem with weight gain. I gained about 20 lbs last December when I surgery on my foot and had to stay off of it for about 4 weeks. No exercise allowed. Once I got the OK from my doctor I started exercising again which was in Jan. of this year and have slowly lost 15 lbs of that 20. It seems that since I am older and more mature, I don't have that urgency to get the weight off so fast by using unhealthy means. I also am a strong supporter of weight lifting sessions also. I use Chalean Extreme and Jillian Michaels most days and it has made a tremendous difference in how I look and feel.

So I guess I am saying never give up, no matter what your age. Also as a side note, I originally starting taking losing weight seriously when I weight 283 lbs in 1999 and have stayed pretty close to my goal weight between 155 -160 lbs at 5'8" for about the last 10 years.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have lost just shy of 60 pounds. It has taken me two years having lost most of it in 2011 and 15 pounds in this past year. However, I've scratched and clawed to lose those 15 pounds. I also have 15 more to go before meeting goal weight. I have the mindset that if it takes me another year or two to lose it, oh well. What is the alternative? There really isn't one for me. I'd rather eat healthy and look great for my age than go back to being fat and miserable all the while eating what I want. I feel great and wouldn't trade that for anything even if the scales aren't moving the way I want them to.

I will say that it irks me just a bit from comments I've read from a few of the really young ladies (not most of them--just a few). They have the mentality that we're just not trying hard enough or the weight would come off. That simply is not true. Some of these women are eating fast food or some type of processed foods everyday (my diet is completely clean so I do eat healthier). They eat more calories than I do and exercise no more than I do but the results are totally different. When I was there age, I lost weight easily too, but not now. It does get much harder for us as we get older but it is doable. Hang in there and refuse to quit!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    49 years YOUNG. Hard work, dedication and diet will get you there. It may take you longer but you will get there. Use MFP to get you there. It works! Good luck. Just finished losing 20 pounds and I'm going to maintain now and continue to use MFP and exercise every stinking day....even if I don't feel like it!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi, I sent you a friend request, I'm 46 and since March have lost 50 lbs - I may not have my 20 year old body anymore but frankly i think I like this one better!
  • vmcshannon
    vmcshannon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 52 and my goal was to lose the weight by the time I hit 50. Needless to say I missed that goal and I was Devastated! I don't know if I've ever gotten over it. I lost and gained the same 30 lbs+ over the years. It is definitely harder the older you get. It also gets harder to exercise. Bad joints etc.
    But I keep trying anyway. Maybe I'm a gluten for punishment. I keep looking for the secret. And the more I think about it the more depressed I get. But maybe I'll get lucky. I know it won't turn back the clock or make me young again. But I don't want to die obese.
    I've got to lose weight.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Do NOT throw in the towel, it's so worth doing this, now get on with it, lol!!
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    Don't give up!! You actually will look younger by losing weight, and doing whatever activities you like best to get toned and fit.

I am 66 years "young". I have kept my weight down and worked-out most of my life. However, unfortuantes do come our wayI And it did come my way, full force, from 2007 - 2010 and then this last summer again. I gained 16 lbs, during that time, didn't work out at all, due to recovering from several surgeries, my husband at that time lost his life from an accident and then losing my closest sister this summer.

It has just been since this last September that I am now serious about losing those 16 pounds, and getting back into the habit of some kind of daily activity. Since then I have lost 7 lbs and have gained some muscle and tone back. I do not believe, just because we get older, that we need to use that excuse and gain weight and get flabby. I want to prove that wrong and be an inspiration to other older women. No, I will never again look like someone in their 20's, 30.s or 40's, but I can certainly look dang good for a 66 year old!
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    50 here, fighting for every pound. Up and down but in the meantime have become a regular exerciser thanks to home videos. Currently down 11 lb in one year, 4 more to go. I was never fat but with all that toning, people have noticed. Three times this year I was mistaken for a college student and once in my garage a salesperson asked me if my mom was home (it was dark). I seem to get more respect from my partners at work also. Good luck! Remember that 50 is the new 30!
  • weightnomore33
    weightnomore33 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WE need to talk. I've been doing this 3 and 1/2 weeks. down 7 pounds. But last time I hit my current weight, I though ok I'm done. Need to stay with this, goal is 15 more. Would love to hear more of your meal ideas. Thanks for posting.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm here. I am 51. I am a work in progress, but I've lost 63 lbs so far. Want to lose another 30-40, I think. I will never look like I am 20-something. I'm not sure if I should. I guess it depends on perspective. I would definitely not want to BE 20-something again if I had to go there to look my best. What I am hoping for is to be my own best at whatever age. I don't want to grow old gracefully...I want to do it with a vengeance!

No, to the OP you should NOT give up. Instead, you should try to be realistic and focus on the positives instead of some artificial "ideal".

Barb
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have lost 120 pounds...the Old-Fashioned Way! Diet mostly...and exercise!!
  • weightnomore33
    weightnomore33 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have 15 to go. I'd love to do it with you, since you seem to have a handle of this weight loss thing. Friend me and nag me, please.
    : )
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm 61 and have been working hard at this for 3 months. I've lost 30lbs. If I can do it so can you! I mostly do walk at home videos by Leslie Sansone. But I live on 5 acres so I also do alot of work just trying to clean up the property. (picking up rocks, pulling out dead sage brush, and dead limbs from the trees, pulling weeds.) What I have learned is that it is all a balancing act and a lot of portion control. But it can be done. I still have 50 lbs. to go. I am thankful to have so much property to use for exercise!
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I just turned 44 and still can't believe this past year has been so much easier than I expected it to be! I lost 70 lbs when I was 25 and was 'skinny fat'. This time around, I've lost almost the same amount of weight, but have packed on a lot more muscle and the benefit has been lots more overall strength and endurance - which is a far more motivating outcome than the weight loss itself (ok - so going from a 22W to size 12 Levi's doesn't suck either!). No one believes I am 44 - especially the 20-somethings I see trail running every week! You can do this - it doesn't have to be slow and your age doesn't matter!

One tip my trainer shared with me early on that has helped me - don't be afraid to push yourself harder every workout - you are stronger than you know and keeping the same routine for more than 2-3 weeks will slow the process and you need to constantly adapt your workouts as you get stronger. Push harder every day, run an extra 5 minutes, do an extra set of lifts or add another 10lbs, up the incline on the treadmill to 18% for as long as you can and you will see results!

I have some family members who walk every day, eat well and complain they can't lose weight. They want to know what my 'magic bullet' is - and I tell them - you're not pushing yourself hard enough! (so I'm not very popular with those folks, oh well)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!