cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options
why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

Replies

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to do cardio here and there, but I have to admit I also place more importance and precedence personally on resistance workouts.

As long as people stay moving, that's the biggest factor in fitness, I think. After all.. the people that let age dictate how much they think they can do.. ever notice they hit the worst declines?
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Until the zombies come.......

Seriously though I think the aerobic benefits are better here then with just strength training. I like to incorporate both.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to do cardio here and there, but I have to admit I also place more importance and precedence personally on resistance workouts.

As long as people stay moving, that's the biggest factor in fitness, I think. After all.. the people that let age dictate how much they think they can do.. ever notice they hit the worst declines?

agree, limits are for weak people.

i think cardio should be for fun and not for actual weight loss. example, you burn more then you ate doing cardio= you lose some weight, keep eating less, and working out more, and more, that equation just doesnt work. Your body will be recked.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I enjoy it. At least as much as I can enjoy exercise.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I run because I have 5 kids at home and it's the only way I get out alone... you can't make me stop. But I will admit I love what lifting is doing for my body.
  • 13pointUNO
    Options
    tell that to my heart, my cholesterol levels, and my mental well-being
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

agree, limits are for weak people.

i think cardio should be for fun and not for actual weight loss. example, you burn more then you ate doing cardio= you lose some weight, keep eating less, and working out more, and more, that equation just doesnt work. Your body will be recked.

i dunno if i consider it fun, but i do it because i want to start running 10k again and eventually do a sprint distance biathlon and maybe a sprint triathlon

but in terms of weight loss, the main ways i do that are eating at a deficit and weight lifting
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am sure that all cardiologists would disagree. Just sayin.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.

I think this comment should be applauded.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I am sure that all cardiologists would disagree. Just sayin.

but that's for heart health right? the OP is talking about weight loss.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    :noway: whaaaaaaaaaa :laugh:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

Meh, I think it's good once or twice a week to keep your cardiovascular system in tip top shape. And, if you're like me, it's fun as heck. I don't care what it is... dancing, running, etc. I loooove me some cardio.

But yes, channeling the energy into muscle development is a better bang for your buck, so to speak!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Strength -- Endurance -- Speed -- Flexibility. All are important in their proper boundaries. I understand your point but personally I see it as balance in all things.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I run because I enjoy it. I also play sports where running is involved. It keeps your heart healthy too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Running is the best thing ever for my mood.
    And that helps my general wellbeing and helps me keep on track with healthy eating. And I don't mind burning extra calories - how can being more active be a problem?

So, for me - it's a winner.
    Not that I'm knocking strength training - I know that's good for me, but doesn't do for me what running does.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Some of us actually enjoy doing cardio as part of our exercise routine...you know, because it makes us happy and gives us positive results.

I think strength training is great, too, but I would not go as far as to say cardio is a waste of time - even if you're not doing it for a sport, whaaa?
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I think this comment should be applauded.

indeed!

fitness gurus = annoying. To each their own, stop worrying about what other ppl enjoy and start worrying about what YOU do.. Just saying.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Opinions vary.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    you're right. cardiovascular fitness is dumb.