cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1. It's good for my heart.

2. Some of us still have considerable fat stores to deplete and weight training with a calorie surplus ain't gonna get it done.

Neither is cardio in a calorie surplus O.o
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    1. It's good for my heart.

2. Some of us still have considerable fat stores to deplete and weight training with a calorie surplus ain't gonna get it done.

Neither is cardio in a calorie surplus O.o

OP's point was "why do cardio when you can do weight training with a calorie surplus and add muscle?"

So one of my counterpoints was "because adding muscle is not my current goal with the amount of fat I have left to lose."

Nobody said doing cardio and not weight training with a calorie surplus was a good idea.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Until the zombies come.......

Seriously though I think the aerobic benefits are better here then with just strength training. I like to incorporate both.

damned zombies!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Neato.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh anything? Yes - hence running is resistance training. Do you breathe heavier when you lift weights and increase your heartbeat? Yes - hence lifting is cardio. Stupid pointless discussion.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If body composition is your only concern, replacing cardio with eating less saves time and money.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Cool story, bro.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    So my losing 40lbs doing cardio was pointless?
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.
    Umm or unless you are here to get healthy which generally includes your heart. CARDIO is for the heart and I know it is important because my CARDIOLOGIST says so. Weight training is good too but they BOTH are necessary for health.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    1348431360676.png

EDIT: lol troll
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    your_opinion.jpg
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    i do cardio so i can eat more to fuel my strength workouts, plus i get to creep on the cardio bunnies.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am sure that all cardiologists would disagree. Just sayin.

but that's for heart health right? the OP is talking about weight loss.

I thought we all agreed that Weight Loss isn't the be all and end all of your fitness journey.

I am getting into running so I do a fair amount of cardio. I still do weight training 3 days a week and I run a mile before I lift to warm up.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Oh puh-lease! For the first 6 months of my weight loss cardio was all I did - I lost 50 lbs (pre mfp, so it's not on my ticker).

In fact, I got up at 330am this morning to run a 5k - the muscles in my legs and core are proof that cardio is NOT pointless.

Now before you get butthurt, I strength train and box 3X a week in addition to cardio.

ZombieChaser OUT!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

You do have a point when it comes to weight loss. Cardio is optional. Cardio does not make you lose weight, nor does it change your shape. As I got older I stayed physically active but my weight did the slow creep up year after year. I could never understand why and I worked out harder and harder and still the weight crept up. I kept on running and lifting, but still the weight kept increasing and it didn’t seem to me like I was eating too much, I have never been one to stuff myself or binge, and I don’t watch TV and I stay active. I thought something was wrong with me, a slow metabolism or something. The last few marathons and even the 50 mile race I completed I kept thinking maybe this time the weight will come off (training plus the race). Nope, after 15 years of yo-yo I finally realized it's all about calories and a calorie deficit. You can not out exercise too many calories.

Weight lifting changes your shape and increases your bone density. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

For weight loss all that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

I happen to love running and won't give it up, and I do it as much as I lift. But I know many people who have succeeded with weight loss simply focusing on calories, eating at a deficit, and creating a beautiful body by lifting weights. Cardio is certainly optional.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Reading this was a waste of time.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme_thumb.png
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is some funny stuff.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Both are important. But for OPTIMAL results, there is a hierarchy issue as strength training should be prioritized over cardio. Doing too much cardio can make lifting days suffer, so there is a fine line. If fat loss is your goal, the name of the game is maintaining as much LBM you have, so you won't necessarily build any muscle (unless you were completely sedentary and/or have muscle memory). Even whilst bulking, cardio will help the gains somewhat lean, unless you're a behavioral ectomorph. And as stated above, cardio is good for the heart, but so is strength training if you lift with intensity vs. taking too much rest in between sets.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    From the view of a person who hates cardio (me!) I will still say that it is not completely useless, for these reasons:

1) Cardiovascular benefits. If you have an active lifestyle or job outside of traditional cardio, then that's great! You probably don't need to do any (I don't) but many people work 9-5's sitting down all day. I do see a lot of lifting (I love lifting!) as cardio-like too, such as squats, deadlifts etc... I definitely get my sweat on with those, but it's still not the same IMO. CV health is important too!

2) Losing weight. I know you said that it's pointless for that, and I don't by any means think it's necessary. All you need is a calorie deficit after all. However, some people (like me) love food! To enjoy a good level of food (2500+ calories IMO) and still lose weight, some form of cardio is usually needed. Yes, I am aware that this makes me greedy. I don't care. I have never really done cardio and with my active lifestyle I managed to lose weight earlier this year on <2500 calories. It was VERY slow though, and even that amount was hard to stick to, so this year when I cut again, I am considering doing the dreaded cardio in order to "earn" some more food.

3) The fun factor. Weird, I know, but some people actually enjoy spending 30 minutes on the elliptical, or going for a morning run. Not my cup of tea, but not everyone shares the same interests.

Also, just to add, I completely see the benefits in focusing on muscle development. As you've probably worked out, I just do lifting, and am lucky enough to have quite an active lifestyle / job on top of that. Nothing will stand in the way of me and the weights, but I don't see why people can't combine the two, if neither is being negatively affected by the other.