Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i dont consider my original post "advice", its more of a warning....im warning anyone who will listen to beware what thier getting themselves into....your discapline must be unwavering and for the rest of your life or the "natural you" the "you" that caused you to get fat in the first place will return, allong with the fat and lack of fitness....beware
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    i dont consider my original post "advice", its more of a warning....im warning anyone who will listen to beware what thier getting themselves into....your discapline must be unwavering and for the rest of your life or the "natural you" the "you" that caused you to get fat in the first place will return, allong with the fat and lack of fitness....beware

So you're saying no one can ever slip up or make a mistake even on a regular basis and be successful long-term? A lot of people on MFP are a walking contradiction to that statement if that's what you meant.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat when I start getting hungry. I usually get hungry around 1-2 p.m. Most days I have trouble getting to my calorie goal.

I've been through 'diets' where I sat around and avoided food and let my stomach hurt and cramp. I probably never got over 1000 calories a day. Eventually I stalled. When I couldn't stand it anymore I quit and gained the weight I'd lost back x3.

You don't have to be hungry to lose weight, in fact, I quit losing when I don't net over 1200 calories. This idea that you are perpetuating that you have to be hungry to lose weight is false and dangerous.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i disagree with this. i think many of the people feeling hunger pangs while eating below maintenance (assuming they aren't eating at a super low deficit) get pangs because they aren't eating nutritionally dense foods that will keep them full and actually feed their body for something other than having it feel full.

i'd take a guess that most of the people complaining of hunger are eating tons of empty calories ( low fat "diet" bars, popcorn, cereal, etc) and things like carrot sticks and celery and apples instead of adding in more protein and healthy fats found in things like whole eggs, full fat yogurt, nuts, chicken turkey, salmon, etc.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

So you're saying no one can ever slip up or make a mistake even on a regular basis and be successful long-term? A lot of people on MFP are a walking contradiction to that statement if that's what you meant.

I guess when i say unwavering im not talking about the occisonal bad day, birthday, holiday, celebration ect...im talking about taking lack of discapline over weeks or months or years
  • Tums will help with hunger pangs.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I also disagree regarding 'always feeling hunger pangs'. Actually you don't have to feel hunger pangs to lose weight. You just have to make sure that you eat at regular intervals, and that the food you eat has slow-digesting sugars instead of fast ones, and that there's bulk in your food so it's not empty calories. Try to avoid drinking your cals... and instead have whole grains and lots of veggies. You don't have to live with hunger pangs. Your stomach will adjust in size eventually and your liver, bile duct, pancreas etc will also adjust their secretions... so that your body knows when to release those hormones and enzymes and in what amount... then your leptin and grelin situation will get under control. You *do not* have to live with hunger pangs.

I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...

Actually, I disagree with this whole hunger pangs are what made us overweight business. Are you mistaking other abdominal discomfort for hunger? People do it all the time. I've lost over half my body weight and it's not been through surgery or anything. And I only get really proper hunger pangs (the kind that are audible and have me visibly bent over) when I need to eat. Like, ACTUALLY need to eat. People get hunger "pangs" just from looking at something they fancy and know they shouldn't really have.
    Most people get fat due to overeating. And nearly all of us eat when we're not truly hungry. Deny it or not, it's true.
    I lost the majority of my weight by eating at regular intervals myself, and like I said, I never really went hungry. Either your calorie deficit is too low, you're eating the wrong kinds of foods that leave you feeling unsatisfied, or you're deluding yourself into thinking you're always going to be hungry simply because you're at deficit.

I have barely any discipline. I have a lot that gets in the way of healthier eating and fitness. I eat a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't. Not gained anything back.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I eat when I start getting hungry. I usually get hungry around 1-2 p.m. Most days I have trouble getting to my calorie goal.

I've been through 'diets' where I sat around and avoided food and let my stomach hurt and cramp. I probably never got over 1000 calories a day. Eventually I stalled. When I couldn't stand it anymore I quit and gained the weight I'd lost back x3.

You don't have to be hungry to lose weight, in fact, I quit losing when I don't net over 1200 calories. This idea that you are perpetuating that you have to be hungry to lose weight is false and dangerous.

Please dont take this as an attack: Im confused, if you only eat when your hungry, and you have trouble reaching your calorie goal, then how is it that you came to be more than a hundred pounds over weight?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If you eat the right things you won't be hungry. That is all.

If you load up on simple carbs, no matter how full you feel at the moment, you will be hungry in an hour...

If you eat balanced meals you don't have to "suffer".

(excuse my 'ifs'...almost looks like I was trying to write a poem hahaha)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Bullhonkey. Attitudes like this are defeatist, and what cause people to get overwhelming guilt and a case of the "f*ckits" when they make a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. The successful people pick up the pieces and get back on program right away. Unsuccessful people think they've ruined their diet, try to restrict the calories the next day, and get stuck in a binge/purge cycle until they quit.

Your diet shouldn't be so restrictive that you're dealing with bad hunger regularly. an appropriate deficit leaves people with enough energy to do what they need to do, and feeling comfortable. Too big a deficit leads to hunger pangs, adaptive thermogenesis (slowed metabolism), hormonal interruptions, and eventually weight gain when they go over their (too restrictive) deficit allowance (which *should* still be less than TDEE, if not for the adaptive thermogenesis) This is what you are advising people to do. Shame on you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I disagree

It's funny. Everyone you are disagreeing with, or is disagreeing with you has been on MFP longer than you - what makes you more experienced than them?
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I guess when i say unwavering im not talking about the occisonal bad day, birthday, holiday, celebration ect...im talking about taking lack of discapline over weeks or months or years

Even then, that isn't irreparable. People can, for the most part, still come back and re-dedicate themselves.

That being said, I see your point about having lifelong dedication to MAINTAIN success. I agree with you there, but I just am not a huge fan of the "be miserable or fail" mentality. It's one of the many reasons a lot of people quit or don't even try to lose their excess weight. They think they have to be hungry, miserable, and/or in pain to get there when really all they need to eat at a moderate or slight calorie deficit, use proper fitness training techniques that don't lead to injury but do lead to results, work within their current physical or mental limits, and have patience. It really doesn't have to be harder than it is.
  • kandilynn03
    Options

Please dont take this as an attack: Im confused, if you only eat when your hungry, and you have trouble reaching your calorie goal, then how is it that you came to be more than a hundred pounds over weight?

Honestly, it's none of your business, but I'll tell you. I started 'dieting' (read: starving myself) when I was really young. At 10 years old, I felt fat, even though I wasn't. I gave away my lunches at school, I barely ate anything when I got home. I could only sustain that for a few weeks to a month at a time. I assume that destroyed my metabolism, because when I started eating again, I gained it all back and more. Then, I would repeat the cycle. It started getting harder to lose weight by starving myself. And then, eventually, with a shotty metabolism, I gave up. Now, I'm trying to do it the right way, without starving myself, and eating the right amount of calories and actually exercising.

And I only eat when I'm hungry now. I used to starve myself, and later, I started eating too much. I'm talking about right now, I eat when I'm hungry. While I'm trying to lose weight. I've lost almost 40 pounds in the last 4 months. 20 before I started using my fitness pal app, and 18 since I started tracking my calories. And I haven't been sitting around starving with hunger pangs in the entire time.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Every person on here must continue their discapline and continue what ever works for them or else the fat will return....beware!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Bullhonkey. Attitudes like this are defeatist, and what cause people to get overwhelming guilt and a case of the "f*ckits" when they make a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. The successful people pick up the pieces and get back on program right away. Unsuccessful people think they've ruined their diet, try to restrict the calories the next day, and get stuck in a binge/purge cycle until they quit.

Your diet shouldn't be so restrictive that you're dealing with bad hunger regularly. an appropriate deficit leaves people with enough energy to do what they need to do, and feeling comfortable. Too big a deficit leads to hunger pangs, adaptive thermogenesis (slowed metabolism), hormonal interruptions, and eventually weight gain when they go over their (too restrictive) deficit allowance (which *should* still be less than TDEE, if not for the adaptive thermogenesis) This is what you are advising people to do. Shame on you.

*applauds*
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Honestly, it's none of your business, but I'll tell you. I started 'dieting' (read: starving myself) when I was really young. At 10 years old, I felt fat, even though I wasn't. I gave away my lunches at school, I barely ate anything when I got home. I could only sustain that for a few weeks to a month at a time. I assume that destroyed my metabolism, because when I started eating again, I gained it all back and more. Then, I would repeat the cycle. It started getting harder to lose weight by starving myself. And then, eventually, with a shotty metabolism, I gave up. Now, I'm trying to do it the right way, without starving myself, and eating the right amount of calories and actually exercising.

And I only eat when I'm hungry now. I used to starve myself, and later, I started eating too much. I'm talking about right now, I eat when I'm hungry. While I'm trying to lose weight. I've lost almost 40 pounds in the last 4 months. 20 before I started using my fitness pal app, and 18 since I started tracking my calories. And I haven't been sitting around starving with hunger pangs in the entire time.

You go girl!
    *applause*
    :drinker:
  • kandilynn03
    Options

^This
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

Yes! Exercise is key...continued life long exercise, for the rest of your life....no one exercises as much as me....no one i know...
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty certain now that the OP is trolling. I just hope no one takes their advice seriously...

please contribute to the forum in a meaningful way or post somewhere else....your trolling comment is off topic and untrue, so please post somewhere else

Nah, I'll leave my trolling comment right here, thanks. I feel you are giving misguided advice and information, either because you are trolling or just choosing to be willfully ignorant. And I'm not cool with someone reading what you're saying and thinking "Oh no, better just give up now"