Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• sammichPG
    Options
    The pallers that claim to not feel hunger concern me....are you guys so outta touch with your bodies that you ligitamitly dont feel hunger? i would suggest that if your running a deficit and you dont feel hunger or the subtle, more soft versions of hunger pangs then i would say your feedback system is broken and you might have a medical condition....if not for hunger or the feelings of hunger then how would you know when its time to eat? looking at the clock?

If you eat a lot of proteins and fiber rich foods hunger isn't a big issue.

I don't feel hungry most of the time either, for me food was a comfort thing, once I overcame the emotional part of eating it was quite easy.
    I still enjoy food and love cooking so I'm not completely crazy I guess...
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oops, my math was bad in that last post. I've lost almost 30 pounds in the last few months, not 40. I miscalculated. Time to go to bed.

Point is still valid though.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    its just a warning, the lifestyle change does not happen if your a weekend warrior....its a life long commitment of healthy habits and denial of the things you used to eat and in the amounts you used to eat them....the other option is to be fat and enjoy it....its our choice....what do we want more???
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Every person on here must continue their discapline and continue what ever works for them or else the fat will return....beware!
    Shut up.
    You act like we're training to be some mystical ninja or something. It's really not that serious.

If you're on this board, you probably have never experienced true hunger. Have any of you ever noticed that if you stay busy those "hunger" pangs go away? Hunger pangs for the most part are MENTAL.

Even in my lowest calorie intake during my last prep, I can't honestly say I was hungry. Stay active and keep your mind off of food. If you're clock watching to your next meal, then you got a problem.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    OMG THANK YOU!!!
    I have always wanted to make a post like this.. People ask me how do i manage to maintain such a skinny and lean body (no anorexia here...) and I'm saying stuff like, you know, healthy diet and workouts but what actually helped me lose fat was that i wasn't afraid of feeling hungry! I was ALWAYS scared to say it because people always assume i have anorexia (my minimum calorie goal is 1500 per day) and that i'm starving myself.
    Sure, it's not PLEASANT to feel hungry, I finish my dinner at 8 and go to bed at 12, and of course I want me some junk food in between but no, i suck it up and wait until breakfast.
    Sure, sometimes I fall off the track but i am get back as soon as possible. Your body remembers everything and it doesn't forgive anything. But let's face it, if i start letting myself eat as much as i want to, i'll get fat in 2 weeks.
    So I EAT, but I also feel hunger. As you said, it is half of the time. But it's kind of natural to feel hunger, right? Back in the day when I gained weight I couldn't remember what hunger pangs felt like.
    For me, it's worth it.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I understand what OP is trying to say, and in the beginning, when we were withdrawing from sugar and cola, it was painful. For about 3 days.

The goal of a healthy diet is to feel good all day. No hunger, no pain, no laziness.

I think it is Atkins who states that eating a low carb diet, while choosing healthy fats, will eliminate the hunger pains. It's worked for me.

On the days that my blood sugar is balanced (by keeping the carbs low), and I eat enough calories, and I eat enough fat, I'm not hungry.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Every person on here must continue their discapline and continue what ever works for them or else the fat will return....beware!
    Shut up.
    You act like we're training to be some mystical ninja or something. It's really not that serious.

If you're on this board, you probably have never experienced true hunger. Have any of you ever noticed that if you stay busy those "hunger" pangs go away? Hunger pangs for the most part are MENTAL.

Even in my lowest calorie intake during my last prep, I can't honestly say I was hungry. Stay active and keep your mind off of food. If you're clock watching to your next meal, then you got a problem.

As tough as you act even you are not immmune....discontinue your structured workout routiens and your eating patterns that have helped you achive your fitness goals and you too will become soft and weak....beware!
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    OMG THANK YOU!!!
    I have always wanted to make a post like this.. People ask me how do i manage to maintain such a skinny and lean body (no anorexia here...) and I'm saying stuff like, you know, healthy diet and workouts but what actually helped me lose fat was that i wasn't afraid of feeling hungry! I was ALWAYS scared to say it because people always assume i have anorexia (my minimum calorie goal is 1500 per day) and that i'm starving myself.
    Sure, it's not PLEASANT to feel hungry, I finish my dinner at 8 and go to bed at 12, and of course I want me some junk food in between but no, i suck it up and wait until breakfast.
    Sure, sometimes I fall off the track but i am get back as soon as possible. Your body remembers everything and it doesn't forgive anything. But let's face it, if i start letting myself eat as much as i want to, i'll get fat in 2 weeks.
    So I EAT, but I also feel hunger. As you said, it is half of the time. But it's kind of natural to feel hunger, right? Back in the day when I gained weight I couldn't remember what hunger pangs felt like.
    For me, it's worth it.

^That! Get outta my head!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Check it out: Nurses Health Study. 12-20 year study of 120,877 health professionals (male & female).

Differences between gainers & maintainers (ppl who limited gain to just 1 lb a year, vs 4 - everyone gained something):

Food:

Maintainers: basically low-gi - fruits, veg, grains, lean protein, nuts. 1 or less glass of booze a day

Gainers: potatoes, red meats, potatoes again, sweets, refined carbs, processed & fried food, fruit juice, butter (sucks, butter's great) . >1 glass of booze a day

- dairy & fat not linked with anything ('maintainers' ate yogurt & nuts)

Other:

Maintainers: less/no TV, more exercise, 6-8 hours sleep

Gainers: lots of TV, less or no exercise, <6 or >8 hrs sleep

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296?query=TOC&#t=articleTop

___

They couldn't track calories, only types of food eaten and general lifestyle. That was enough.
    ___

We found that multiple lifestyle changes were independently associated with long-term weight gain, including changes in the consumption of specific foods and beverages, physical activity, alcohol use, television watching, and smoking habits. Average long-term weight gain in nonobese populations is gradual — in the cohorts we studied, about 0.8 lb per year — but accumulated over time, even modest increases in weight have implications for long-term adiposity-related metabolic dysfunction, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.21-24 Whereas weight changes associated with any single lifestyle factor were relatively modest in our three cohorts, in the aggregate, changes in diet and physical activity accounted for large differences in weight gain. The results were similar across the three separate cohorts, increasing our confidence in the validity and generalizability of the findings.

All these relationships must be mediated by changes in energy intake, energy expenditure, or both. Total energy intake is not well estimated from dietary questionnaires, nor does it reflect energy balance, which is necessarily codetermined by energy expenditure. Thus, weight change is the best population metric of energy imbalance and at least partly captures energy intake after adjustment for determinants of expenditure (e.g., age, body-mass index, and physical activity).

^^ reason for seeming non-sequitur: probably, choice of foods matter in hunger & gain, along with activity
  • melnikdanil1
    Options
    I do not think that dieting should be a torture......:noway:
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Check it out: Nurses Health Study. 12-20 year study of 120,877 health professionals (male & female).

Differences between gainers & maintainers (ppl who limited gain to just 1 lb a year, vs 4 - everyone gained something):

Food:

Maintainers: basically low-gi - fruits, veg, grains, lean protein, nuts. 1 or less glass of booze a day

Gainers: potatoes, red meats, potatoes again, sweets, refined carbs, processed & fried food, fruit juice, butter (sucks, butter's great)

- dairy & fat not linked with anything ('maintainers' ate yogurt & nuts), >1 glass of booze a day

Other:

Maintainers: less/no TV, more exercise, 6-8 hours sleep

Gainers: lots of TV, less or no exercise, <6 or >8 hrs sleep

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296?query=TOC&#t=articleTop

Pretty spot on advice...except for the TV....i accomplish most of my exercise while either watching/listening to TV or playing XBOX 360 Call of Duty Modern warfare 3.....i incorporate exercise into my favorite activities....
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree. I do constantly think about food, what I can eat and what time I can eat etc.

However, what i've started to do is drink water whenever I feel the hunger pang and in all honesty (so far) it works!! :drinker:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    As much as I think the OP is trolling, it does bring up a slightly worrying subject for me! There seems to be a lot of people that never seem hungry? I eat a high protein diet, and eat at regular intervals and I still get hungry. I kinda thought it was natural to feel hungry? Maybe I'm just a fat little piggy or have less will power than the rest of you I don't know?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Pretty spot on advice...except for the TV....i accomplish most of my exercise while either watching/listening to TV or playing XBOX 360 Call of Duty Modern warfare 3.....i incorporate exercise into my favorite activities....

Excuse me?
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

Excuse me?

I will awnser any question you have but you must be more specific.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes! Exercise is key...continued life long exercise, for the rest of your life....no one exercises as much as me....no one i know...

grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Excuse me?

I will awnser any question you have but you must be more specific.

What exactly do you do as exercise while playing video games or watching TV?
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    As much as I think the OP is trolling, it does bring up a slightly worrying subject for me! There seems to be a lot of people that never seem hungry? I eat a high protein diet, and eat at regular intervals and I still get hungry. I kinda thought it was natural to feel hungry? Maybe I'm just a fat little piggy or have less will power than the rest of you I don't know?

Its completely natural to feel hunger from time to time and in various levels of intensity....hunger is a natural feed back system that tells the mind its time for nurishment....with out hunger, malnurishment would likely be common....without the feeling of hunger we as a species would likely be extinct!
  • anikisa
    anikisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think hunger and cravings are being confused... Hunger is a way your body tells you it need a form of nutrient. Empty calories like most over processed food ( including cereals like Special K) hold little to no nutritional value which can cause you to eat more often and it can lead to over eating as well as gaining weight. Craving, however, is when you want and want a certain type of food. Also if you are craving crappy food it could be that the crappy food you are longing for is the only source your body knows of that has the nutrient that it needs. That is when eating clean comes in. If you want to stop craving junk foods you have to train your body by slowly introducing it better foods. The worst that could happen are (if approached the wrong way with little to no knowledge on nutrition) Mood swing and some craving pangs will occur at first ( I know from experience). When those cravings attack you attack them back by feeding them healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains (btw do not feel afraid to eat healthy carbs because those are the ones that helps you feel less hungry) etc. I am working on clean eating too :) one thing is for sure do not starve yourself!!!! at the least eat 80% healthy food 20% of your calories on some junk food. On another note check your BMR and eat that amount of calories it will help you with weight loss :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

What is your daily calorie intake?