Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It was like a million voices crying out
    in unison, then suddenly silenced.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me any. I haven't had a twinkie or any other similar product since I was a little kid.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    They originally were thinking of closing down Tastykake but there was a surge by the city to help them recoup and now they are thriving. I think I could live without a Twinkie, but can't live without a Tastykake! LOL
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Poorly Run Company + Corrupt Union = 18,000 without a job now
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    my uncle works for merita which is tied in w/ hostess so he might be losing his job :frown: i hope not but we'll see..

& side note zombieland........thats all i'm saying if you've seen it you'll know what im talking about
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I think I've only ever eaten maybe one or two Twinkies in my life. Never liked them even when I was a kid.

ETA: although I DID like the commercials with the raccoon.
  • miltongurl05
    miltongurl05 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    One of my friends works or should I say worked at one of their plants. He was on the job this morning and was told to quit working and leave the premises. I hate that so many people are being laid off.....especially with the holidays coming up. :frown:
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am saddened that hard working people will lose jobs, but I don't eat that stuff anyway, so I wont miss it. Wait... do they make ding dongs? <GASP> Maybe I will..

Here in St Louis they arent working anyway................They are on strike and picketing. This is the reason why they might be going away.

Hostess execs have asked the bankruptcy court to close the company down due to the strike.

We have a hostess plant in my hometown as well. 300 workers. They are also striking. I heard that those who are not in the union are having their brakes cut and windows smashed while they work by the picketers. I feel bad about the job loss, but really, Vandalism? This may be mean, but last time I didn't like pay/benefits/ect, I kept working and looked for a new job. I didn't stand outside with signs and destroy property. I'm sure there is more to the story than I know and I'm not taking sides, but so far, I'm not seeing behavior that would make me want to hire one of these people. :ohwell:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, however. The rights and "recipe" for your favourite Hostess crap will be bought and manufactured (the only viable word here really) by some other company.

Yeah, probably some company in China where they will not only be Genetically Modified, but also lead infused.

Happy eating to whomever decides to eat that crap............
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What in earth will I do? This is one less excuse for me to blame obesity on.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, however. The rights and "recipe" for your favourite Hostess crap will be bought and manufactured (the only viable word here really) by some other company.

Yeah, probably some company in China where they will not only be Genetically Modified, but also lead infused.

Happy eating to whomever decides to eat that crap............

Never had a twinkie before. I think I ate one once when I was little and told my mom it tasted like a shoe. LOL! :laugh: They are a love hate. Some love. I hate. :drinker:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Poorly Run Company + Corrupt Union = 18,000 without a job now

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Now...if it was Little Debbie brand, we would REALLY have a problem. I do take advantage of one of those treats on my food cheat days. :)
  • erika37211
    Options
    I agree!
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Now I have to go out and stock up, so that I will have a chance to use the Twinkie defense in court.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I HATE TWINKIES! they are sooooooooo gross! Give me a Ho-Ho any day!!! lol Gosh I haven't had one of those in sooooo long....*sigh
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What will everyone do without the "Ding Dong"?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    OMG! Why do the clean eaters have to come in here and poo poo all over foods they choose not to eat?

If people like the food, then they should learn to eat the food in moderation. Just because you have no self-control, doesn't mean the food is evil!

Twinkies are good, but I haven't had one since I was a kid. I will, however, miss the Hostess chocolate cupcakes. Om nom nom!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I am saddened that hard working people will lose jobs, but I don't eat that stuff anyway, so I wont miss it. Wait... do they make ding dongs? <GASP> Maybe I will..

Here in St Louis they arent working anyway................They are on strike and picketing. This is the reason why they might be going away.

Hostess execs have asked the bankruptcy court to close the company down due to the strike.

We have a hostess plant in my hometown as well. 300 workers. They are also striking. I heard that those who are not in the union are having their brakes cut and windows smashed while they work by the picketers. I feel bad about the job loss, but really, Vandalism? This may be mean, but last time I didn't like pay/benefits/ect, I kept working and looked for a new job. I didn't stand outside with signs and destroy property. I'm sure there is more to the story than I know and I'm not taking sides, but so far, I'm not seeing behavior that would make me want to hire one of these people. :ohwell:

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.