Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

And ban the sun that grows the grass that feeds the cows that make the cream that fill the Twinkies. Don't you love our government? Where does it end?

It would be helpful if they could ban the sun--it causes skin cancer!

now thats just silly. ban the sun. smh. ya, ban life from existing.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :cry: Sad for all those who are out of work who really wanted and needed their jobs.

I am sure whoever takes over will keep the twinkie going. Or some other company will copy and make the twinkie. I know HEB makes their own copy of the Twinkie which is still quite tasty. I am not sure but I think Walmart does too.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is what upsets me. I can take or leave Twinkies (although my family loves Ho-Hos)

"The closing will result in Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers losing their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide, as well as 570 outlet stores. "

I hate to see people lose their jobs.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    good riddance

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I lurves milk! No ban milk!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    good riddance

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the udder themselves, is the only good milk.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good .. the only thing im sad about is Jobs lost...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.

This is reason enough to never buy hostess again.....sick of corporate greed!

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

:noway:

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.

You mean scummy unions destroying everything they touch

Sorry, but I am a believer in unions and protecting the employees from Corporate GREED.

My dad was part of the UMWA and then UAW union for years and years.

I live in a very large unionized area of the country, not a right to work state where they can fire you for sneezing wrong.

Total balderdash-- "fire you for sneezing wrong." How do you people come up with this crap?

So sick of the class warfare of people like you.....as if there's something wrong to be wealthy. "Corporate Greed" means that this company was successful and made money....and employed bunches of people along the way who weren't satisfied that THEY weren't as rich as the owners.

Tough tarts.

I live paycheck to paycheck with barely a pot in which to pee-- raising a slew of kids.....never in my wildest dreams would I begrudge anyone for being richer than me.

Personally, I don't know how people like you can sleep at night.....how miserable it must be to be so pissed that somebody else has more than you.
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Used to eat Twinkies when I was younger and my daughter likes them - I will get them for her occasionally. I will miss the white powdered donuts - they were my absolute favorite (and my daughter's favorite packaged mini donut brand). And a great teenage memory with my mom. Nestle's Quick Chocolate milk in the freezer for a bit to get REALLY cold and a box of Hostess Powdered Donuts while watching Star Search together - Great memories. Sad that another long time American Company will be closing it's doors.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.

It has nothing to do with someone being strong enough to make their own decisions.

If you want to poison your body with fake food that the human body doesn't even recognize - then go ahead and do it.

And we are NOT free in this country.

If we were then the FDA and USDA that are in bed with companies such as Cargill and Monsanto wouldn't say it is illegal for people to purchase and use RAW milk straight from farmers.

It wouldn't be illegal for people to grow gardens in their front yards on their own property.

The Good ole US of A is NOT A FREE COUNTRY.
    Ugh, just another conspiracy nut...

Go ahead, show me the scientific evidence you have that the human digestive system can't "recognize" or process a Twinkie. I'll wait, don't worry. I know, there really is no evidence because it's a ridiculous claim that only makes sense when you're trying to scare people into thinking you're right, because the facts disagree.

Also, it is only illegal to sell raw milk across state lines. Raw milk purchased from local farms is generally legal, unless your specific state has a law against it. Of course, why you'd want to buy raw milk that has to travel from another state is beyond me, especially when you're into the whole paleo thing, doesn't that push buying local?

I have a garden in my yard, as do several of my neighbors. We haven't been arrested yet. Perfectly legal.

Any other wildly false things you want to make up to try and spread your fear mongering?
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to buy the fruit pies and donettes occasionally for my kids when they were growing up......more nostalgia behind the name and products for me more than anything!
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    AMEN
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    good riddance

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

Yes, we are going completely off topic. :tongue:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.

It has nothing to do with someone being strong enough to make their own decisions.

If you want to poison your body with fake food that the human body doesn't even recognize - then go ahead and do it.

And we are NOT free in this country.

If we were then the FDA and USDA that are in bed with companies such as Cargill and Monsanto wouldn't say it is illegal for people to purchase and use RAW milk straight from farmers.

It wouldn't be illegal for people to grow gardens in their front yards on their own property.

The Good ole US of A is NOT A FREE COUNTRY.
    Ugh, just another conspiracy nut...

Go ahead, show me the scientific evidence you have that the human digestive system can't "recognize" or process a Twinkie. I'll wait, don't worry. I know, there really is no evidence because it's a ridiculous claim that only makes sense when you're trying to scare people into thinking you're right, because the facts disagree.

Also, it is only illegal to sell raw milk across state lines. Raw milk purchased from local farms is generally legal, unless your specific state has a law against it. Of course, why you'd want to buy raw milk that has to travel from another state is beyond me, especially when you're into the whole paleo thing, doesn't that push buying local?

I have a garden in my yard, as do several of my neighbors. We haven't been arrested yet. Perfectly legal.

Any other wildly false things you want to make up to try and spread your fear mongering?

I am not a conspiracy nut. The artificial crap in those factory made foods is not healthy, nor does the body recognize it. There are reasons as to why there are so many diseases and the majorly increase in obesity.

These things are just a small part of the cause.

And I am able to get raw milk legal in my state, but there are many states where it is illegal to buy raw milk for anything except animal consumption.

And if you had actually read what I wrote, I said people's gardens deemed illegal because they planted in their front yard. If we were a free country it wouldn't matter where you put your garden on YOUR OWN PROPERTY.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sorry to see people lose their jobs...but... I would have been a lot better off if they had gone out of business years ago.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a twinkie in years and can't eat any now that I have issues with gluten. So won't affect me at all.. but at least now we know why it was so hard to find a twinkie in Zombieland.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

Good idea! Let's ban thyroids--mine's already out, so I'm good to go.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am saddened that hard working people will lose jobs, but I don't eat that stuff anyway, so I wont miss it. Wait... do they make ding dongs? <GASP> Maybe I will..

Here in St Louis they arent working anyway................They are on strike and picketing. This is the reason why they might be going away.

Hostess execs have asked the bankruptcy court to close the company down due to the strike.

The employees were to take an 8% paycut and a 30% reduction in benefits. Why would they agree to that? Even in this economy they can get better jobs. This is after they tried to work with Hostess when they went thru bankruptsy before. I have never liked Twinkees or Wonderbread so it is no great loss to me.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

Yes, we are going completely off topic. :tongue:

I'm laughing cuz I didn't realize I said "Udder" in my head, and typed Utter.. haha.. fixed. But now I'm shuddering at the thought of udder puss... *gag* :sick: LOL
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Meh, who cares about Twinkies . . . I'm a Ding Dong girl

That's what she said...

Anyway, Drake's Cakes are better. Anyone ever had a Funny Bone?
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Oh well, I never liked twinkies.

The hostess cakes used to have lard. When I found out what lard was as a child, I never touched another one. repulsive.