Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Meh, who cares about Twinkies . . . I'm a Ding Dong girl

That's what she said...

Anyway, Drake's Cakes are better. Anyone ever had a Funny Bone?

Funny Bones rule.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I am not a conspiracy nut.

That's what all the conspiracy nuts say.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.

This is reason enough to never buy hostess again.....sick of corporate greed!

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

:noway:

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.

You mean scummy unions destroying everything they touch

Sorry, but I am a believer in unions and protecting the employees from Corporate GREED.

My dad was part of the UMWA and then UAW union for years and years.

I live in a very large unionized area of the country, not a right to work state where they can fire you for sneezing wrong.

Total balderdash-- "fire you for sneezing wrong." How do you people come up with this crap?

So sick of the class warfare of people like you.....as if there's something wrong to be wealthy. "Corporate Greed" means that this company was successful and made money....and employed bunches of people along the way who weren't satisfied that THEY weren't as rich as the owners.

Tough tarts.

I live paycheck to paycheck with barely a pot in which to pee-- raising a slew of kids.....never in my wildest dreams would I begrudge anyone for being richer than me.

Personally, I don't know how people like you can sleep at night.....how miserable it must be to be so pissed that somebody else has more than you.

That is what I right to work state is. I lived in one in Virginia for 15 years..............I saw many, many people get fired from their jobs for no reason what so ever. Just because someone at the company wanted to get rid of them. You don't have to have a reason to fire someone in those right to work states.

So you have no problem with the CEO of the company your working for giving himself a $500,000 raise, while asking you and all of your co-workers to take a $2.00 per hour pay cut????

I sleep just fine at night. I am not pissed at people that have more than me. I dislike people that take away from their workers while giving to themselves when no one should have gotten a raise.

I am upset with the company I work for................They just laid off 120 people and I walked into an HR meeting where they were talking about our Christmas bonuses. You don't do that. If we are that financially strapped, then NO ONE should be getting a bonus, gift cards, holiday parties, etc.

I don't agree with accepting a bonus when someone else just lost their job. In fact, I will be sending my Christmas bonus back or use it to buy Christmas for someone less fortunate than myself.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

Yes, we are going completely off topic. :tongue:

I'm laughing cuz I didn't realize I said "Udder" in my head, and typed Utter.. haha.. fixed. But now I'm shuddering at the thought of udder puss... *gag* :sick: LOL
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

:laugh: The idea of my milk not being "clean" I guess you could say grosses me out. I do buy the hormone free, though.
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I knew you'd respond to my message. You're very predictable. But you are correct about one thing. Our freedoms have suffered greatly over the last 4 years and I expect more during the next 4 years. But for now, I can still carry a gun (because I can) and eat pudding (because I can), and read my Bible (because I can), and respond to you (because I can). Four years from now all bets are off. God Bless America.

Laughable at best. It has been going on for far longer than 4 years. I am glad you want to solely blame 1 person that encompasses 8 years in a history of a country that hasn't been free in many, many years - way before either one of our existence.

Oh, I don't blame one person. I blame the 50 some percent of the people in our country that voted for him.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    it will hurt a lot more industries, think about the fair and no more deep fried twinkies :indifferent:
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Poorly Run Company + Corrupt Union = 18,000 without a job now

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.

Actually you can blame the union. How many people would kill for a job right now, while the union went on strike for better pay and benefits.

The majority of industries/sectors that are heavily unionized aren't doing so hot; auto manufacturing, public education, public services etc etc

They did not strike for BETTER benefits, they were on strike to maintain their current benefits. There is a big difference between the two.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Meh, who cares about Twinkies . . . I'm a Ding Dong girl

That's what she said...

Anyway, Drake's Cakes are better. Anyone ever had a Funny Bone?

Funny Bones rule.

505cba97afa96f7a59001243.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I knew you'd respond to my message. You're very predictable. But you are correct about one thing. Our freedoms have suffered greatly over the last 4 years and I expect more during the next 4 years. But for now, I can still carry a gun (because I can) and eat pudding (because I can), and read my Bible (because I can), and respond to you (because I can). Four years from now all bets are off. God Bless America.

Laughable at best. It has been going on for far longer than 4 years. I am glad you want to solely blame 1 person that encompasses 8 years in a history of a country that hasn't been free in many, many years - way before either one of our existence.

Oh, I don't blame one person. I blame the 50 some percent of the people in our country that voted for him.

You're really pretty.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.

This is reason enough to never buy hostess again.....sick of corporate greed!

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

:noway:

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.

You mean scummy unions destroying everything they touch

Sorry, but I am a believer in unions and protecting the employees from Corporate GREED.

My dad was part of the UMWA and then UAW union for years and years.

I live in a very large unionized area of the country, not a right to work state where they can fire you for sneezing wrong.

Total balderdash-- "fire you for sneezing wrong." How do you people come up with this crap?

So sick of the class warfare of people like you.....as if there's something wrong to be wealthy. "Corporate Greed" means that this company was successful and made money....and employed bunches of people along the way who weren't satisfied that THEY weren't as rich as the owners.

Tough tarts.

I live paycheck to paycheck with barely a pot in which to pee-- raising a slew of kids.....never in my wildest dreams would I begrudge anyone for being richer than me.

Personally, I don't know how people like you can sleep at night.....how miserable it must be to be so pissed that somebody else has more than you.

That is what I right to work state is. I lived in one in Virginia for 15 years..............I saw many, many people get fired from their jobs for no reason what so ever. Just because someone at the company wanted to get rid of them. You don't have to have a reason to fire someone in those right to work states.

So you have no problem with the CEO of the company your working for giving himself a $500,000 raise, while asking you and all of your co-workers to take a $2.00 per hour pay cut????

I sleep just fine at night. I am not pissed at people that have more than me. I dislike people that take away from their workers while giving to themselves when no one should have gotten a raise.

I am upset with the company I work for................They just laid off 120 people and I walked into an HR meeting where they were talking about our Christmas bonuses. You don't do that. If we are that financially strapped, then NO ONE should be getting a bonus, gift cards, holiday parties, etc.

I don't agree with accepting a bonus when someone else just lost their job. In fact, I will be sending my Christmas bonus back or use it to buy Christmas for someone less fortunate than myself.

pat_on_the_back.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How's the US Postal Service and their union doing these days?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    OMG! Why do the clean eaters have to come in here and poo poo all over foods they choose not to eat?

If people like the food, then they should learn to eat the food in moderation. Just because you have no self-control, doesn't mean the food is evil!

Twinkies are good, but I haven't had one since I was a kid. I will, however, miss the Hostess chocolate cupcakes. Om nom nom!

Completely agreed and this is coming from a clean eater! I never really liked twinkies but I will have the occasional Hostess chocolate cupcake because they are just *amn good!
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OMG! Why do the clean eaters have to come in here and poo poo all over foods they choose not to eat?

If people like the food, then they should learn to eat the food in moderation. Just because you have no self-control, doesn't mean the food is evil!

Twinkies are good, but I haven't had one since I was a kid. I will, however, miss the Hostess chocolate cupcakes. Om nom nom!

Completely agreed and this is coming from a clean eater! I never really liked twinkies but I will have the occasional Hostess chocolate cupcake because they are just *amn good!

AMEN!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

I agree, the idea of fresh milk scares me. I like eating healthier, but I like a happy medium. I do not really care if the milk is pasteurized or has hormones. I realize they say it can cause cancer. Everything these days does. I want to feel better inside, and be happy. Milk has not hurt me yet. When it does, then I'll stop. Until then, I love milk. And cows actually. Love me some steak.

Also, I do not believe in "banning" everything. Let ppl do what makes them happy, if its unhealthy, its their life. Why start with food banning if you were going to attack unhealthy things? Why not start with smokes (norm and green), drugs, pharmaceuticals, alcohols, sex, tv, video games, cell phones, cars, and even dirty dollar bills. So much we could attack.

Ever seen Demolition man (movie)?

"I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener""
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It sucks that these people are losing their jobs, but you can't entirely blame the union. This is just the way the free market works. If Hostess was selling enough product, they wouldn't be going bankrupt. If you can't compete you go under. Perhaps the union made competition more challenging, but that's the way the game works. Workers have a right to form a union to further their interests, just as businesses have a right to join chambers of commerce and lobby law makers to promote theirs.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

I agree, the idea of fresh milk scares me. I like eating healthier, but I like a happy medium. I do not really care if the milk is pasteurized or has hormones. I realize they say it can cause cancer. Everything these days does. I want to feel better inside, and be happy. Milk has not hurt me yet. When it does, then I'll stop. Until then, I love milk. And cows actually. Love me some steak.

Also, I do not believe in "banning" everything. Let ppl do what makes them happy, if its unhealthy, its their life. Why start with food banning if you were going to attack unhealthy things? Why not start with smokes (norm and green), drugs, pharmaceuticals, alcohols, sex, tv, video games, cell phones, cars, and even dirty dollar bills. So much we could attack.

Ever seen Demolition man (movie)?

"I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener""

Those dollar bills have traces of cocaine on them! Hell yes we should ban them!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hubby just about had a heart attack when I told him! :laugh:

They have been having financial problems for many years. There is a Hostess in my city that used to employ several thousand people when I was a kid. Then it went down to a few thousand, then a few hundred and a small warehouse with a few outlet stores. It's a sign of our bad economy. It could be that someone buys them out since the brand name is so well-loved. If that happens, it will certainly be non-union though. :wink:
  • teepeetim
    teepeetim Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have Vachon, which makes the Joe Louis, which is far superior to anything made by Hostess.

Though I haven't had one in a long time.

Twinkies are nasty.

MMMMmmmmmmmm Jos. Louis (not Joe, short for Joseph)

jos_louis.jpg

Apparently i don't know how to add an image
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I would imagine another company will BUY the twinky part of the business
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    whoooooooooooooooooooooooooa! hold up what?