Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As much as I think the OP is trolling, it does bring up a slightly worrying subject for me! There seems to be a lot of people that never seem hungry? I eat a high protein diet, and eat at regular intervals and I still get hungry. I kinda thought it was natural to feel hungry? Maybe I'm just a fat little piggy or have less will power than the rest of you I don't know?

What is your daily calorie intake?

Generally between 1700-2000 depending on how much exercise I do. I'm presuming the question was directed at me as you quoted my post. I see the OP took it as his though ;-) Seriously, sometimes at work (I eat at 11am and work through till 4pm so no food till after I finish work) I am ravounous. I always eat protein before work, usually a tin of tuna, chicken or something similar. I drink loads as well, well over 2 litres of water a day. I just think i'm a freak of nature.

i regulalry drank 20-30 cups of water a day back when i logged water....thats approx 5-8 liters a day....
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    When you run a calorie deficit you are actually denying your body what its asking for...during this period of denial it would be completely normal to feel hunger....with this in mind I looked up the word Pang and Hunger Pang....it’s these hunger pangs or feelings that you must overcome, through discipline, in order to lose those unwanted pounds.....so these are the words that define/describe "pang" or "hunger pang" - twinge, ache, throb, prick, stab, a sudden feeling of mental or emotional distress or longing: a pang of remorse; a pang of desire, a sudden, brief, sharp pain or physical sensation; spasm: hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes, A sudden sharp feeling of emotional distress, distress acutely, pain, stab, sting, stitch, ache, wrench, prick, spasm, twinge, throe, gnawing, pains in the abdominal region which occur in the early stages of hunger or fasting and are correlated with contractions of the empty stomach or intestines

All of the above words are negative or bad...food stops the pangs and thus eliminating the negative/bad feelings....these negative/bad feelings must be voluntarily subjected/inflicted towards yourself in order to attain your weight loss goals....to endure these bad feelings and push through them and attain your goals, you all need to toughen up and stop being sissys.....if you’re not feeling these negative feelings/bad feeling you are likely not losing weight and likely not working towards your goals and you are likely a sissy (does not apply to mfpallers that are trying to gain weight)....toughen up and reach your goals sooner

I want to be brutally honest and go on the record stating that these hunger pangs will be a part of your life for the rest of your life if this little experiment is to become a lifestyle change....let me explain....at any given moment (a snapshot in time if you will) you are either in a state of weight gain or weight loss, there is no in between! in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life??? you will be denying yourself what you really want to eat for the rest of your life, I know this is true because the "normal old you" the “you” in your natural state got you fat and rarely if ever denied yourself food (does not apply to people on mfp that are trying to gain weight)....only the continued denial of the foods you want in the quantities you want them will allow to reach your weight/fitness goals and then only a very similar denial of foods will allow you to maintain your weight/fitness goals once they are attained....if you’re not willing to accept this reality then you need to go eat a pizza or a chocolate cake or whatever you love right now and just enjoy life being fat…
    Otherwise prepare for a lifetime of tremendous and continued discipline…
    Agree? Disagree? Why?

I'm not sure what your point is, but ''eat less, move more'' seems to work for me. If I'm hungry, then I'll eat. if I want cake, then guess what? I'll eat cake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As much as I think the OP is trolling, it does bring up a slightly worrying subject for me! There seems to be a lot of people that never seem hungry? I eat a high protein diet, and eat at regular intervals and I still get hungry. I kinda thought it was natural to feel hungry? Maybe I'm just a fat little piggy or have less will power than the rest of you I don't know?

What is your daily calorie intake?

i decided my equation for weight maintenence was approximatly 1900 + .5(Exercise Calories) = Calories i should consume per day....i have not logged food for over a month now but my intake is somewhere between 2000 and 4000 a day as i try to maintain....my exercise is usually above 1000 cals daily and can exceed 2000 cals several times a week....

You do know that over-training can be hard on the body and counter-productive don't you ? Also, see my comment about looking up the hormone Peptide YY above.

i do take days off training and i dont think im over training....since you brought it up, how would i know if i was over training? teach me...

I am getting the impression you are trolling now. If so,,,,well played.

ETA: put it this way - exercising regularly burning 1,000 - 2,000 calories is over-training.

please define over training in more detail....marathon runners regularly train by running more than 10 miles at a time, i garentee they are burning over 1000 cals during most of these training sessions....

It is late, so I am going to sleep. Search is a wonderful thing.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you rarely feel hunger even during this peroid of deficit i must assume you almost never felt hunger when you were gaining all the weight your currently trying to lose, so if this is all true, if not hunger, then what caused you to over eat in the first place and gain weight?
    Why would you assume that?
    Sure, if I kept eating 30% of my daily calories from cheese, I'd probably feel pretty hungry.

But by changing what I eat I can get a lot less calories and still feel full.
    I also find my body does adept.
    But I didn't put on weight with a regime of just eating until I was full.

If I have a couple of low calorie sausages, with 'air fryer chips' and low calorie beans (174+200+100=474 calories) I feel pretty much as full as having two battered sausages with deep fried chips and normal beans (800+400+200=1400 calories).

I'm impressed that you've done so well either with not working this 'secret' out or with having got to the point you needed to lose weight without eating these 'bad' foods!
    Every person on here must continue their discapline and continue what ever works for them or else the fat will return....beware!
    Enough with the 'every person' and 'must read' etc already!
    If everyone continued their discipline with what works for losing weight they WOULD end up in that fabled 'starvation zone'!
  • MJEekhoff
    Options
    Eat a handful of nuts every two hours between your main meals and you won't feel any hunger pangs and you'll eliminate carb/starch cravings.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Heres my two sense.. Why must you starve and be hungry to lose weight? There is no need for that what so ever.
    Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, and you have it made.

I've lost 31 pounds over this past year... and while I do get the signal of hunger, I never have hunger pains.. unless I forgot to eat or my schedule got flipped and I'm eating at a time later then normal.

As far as maintaining goes, I've been lax with my eating and logging but I haven't regained anything... mainly because I still workout and I eat the same thing everyday so I know what the calorie count is.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sorry not reading several pages of comments, just replying to the initial post:

When you are hungry, eat.

In the past when I have tried to lose weight by getting to the point where I get hunger pangs I end up overeating after a few days, often by a lot. Any wieght lost by this method turns out to be undustainable because I cant live by that kind of discipline (and I dont want to either). Now I try to sustain a v moderate cal deficit. That means I eat well before hunger pangs set in, and I lose weight.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just want to add... we all experience and react to discomfort or pains differently. That's why some people can carry on life while passing a kidney stone and others are in the hosptal on an IV pain relieveing drip!

Do I experience a message from inside my body that says send food that I ignore? Yes, daily. Do I eat every day? Yes.

I agree we will all experience our body telling us we need more water, nutrition, etc.

And I agree with the OP - our body will send us a hunger message as often as it does. Which differs for every single living organism.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I also disagree regarding 'always feeling hunger pangs'. Actually you don't have to feel hunger pangs to lose weight. You just have to make sure that you eat at regular intervals, and that the food you eat has slow-digesting sugars instead of fast ones, and that there's bulk in your food so it's not empty calories. Try to avoid drinking your cals... and instead have whole grains and lots of veggies. You don't have to live with hunger pangs. Your stomach will adjust in size eventually and your liver, bile duct, pancreas etc will also adjust their secretions... so that your body knows when to release those hormones and enzymes and in what amount... then your leptin and grelin situation will get under control. You *do not* have to live with hunger pangs.

I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...

jmo, but
    I would guess that the *hunger* "that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place" was very likely NOT physical hunger.
    We need to learn to differentiate physical hunger/needs from the emotional wants and desires.
  • FarmFoodDiet
    FarmFoodDiet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I disagree that you have to feel hunger or pain while losing weight and for the rest of your life in order to keep it off. I lost 15 pounds eating full meals and have kept it off since then even though I stuff myself every day. There are a few secrets to this: 1) I eat regular meals and regular snacks, 2) most of the food I eat, with rare exceptions, is natural. No added sugar, and no refined flour. Very little packaged food. Packaged food is often loaded with sugar, or has starch stripped of its fiber. 3) My diet ends up being a little over 30% fat. By eating more protein/fat/fiber, I'm able to feel full but keep my calories low. 4) What carbs I do eat are low on the glycemic index. Low GI foods give you slow-release energy, unlike high GI (refined carbs) foods that cause your energy levels to spike and then drop off a cliff.

I never go hungry, and I find it easy to resist temptation. Detoxing your body from sugar and other man-made junk takes some getting used to, but once you make the switch it's really easy to stick to.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...

I didn't over eat because I was "hungry". I gained weight because I did NOT listen when my body told me I was full.. Doing his for years I have now broken my signals and am using MFP to re-train my body to KNOW the difference between actually being hungry and just wanting something because it's yummy. Being fat has nothing to do with being hungry.. Obesity is not caused because you are eating when you are hungry..but by eating when you are NOT.

If you are hungry you need to eat. If you feel like you are starving you are probably not eating ENOUGH. If you are NOT hungry and are eating anyway then you have a problem.
  • FarmFoodDiet
    FarmFoodDiet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with MJEkoff above: eating nuts as snacks really helps bridge the gap between meals. A lot of people are afraid of nuts because of their calories and fat content, but you need the fat. By eating nuts, you stay full and avoid the temptation to overeat. If you go with a granola bar instead - which is lower in calories - you're going to be hungry again in an hour and end up eating way more than if you had just gone with the nuts. That's what I call being calorie-wise but pound foolish!

I also like veggies with hummus as a snack.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I spent so many years eating all the foods all the days that I rarely, if ever, felt hungry. Now that I stopped that, I actually enjoy the feeling of being hungry. It feel so natural, so right that I should be hungry before a meal. It makes me enjoy my food a lot more, too. It's like almost everything I eat is the BEST thing EVER. (hunger is the best appetizer)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1,000 cal deficit a day because I have a lot to lose still. I do not get hungry to the point of discomfort. If I am hungry, I drink water. If I'm still hungry, I eat a high protein snack. I feel, and I'm by no means educated in how the body works or nutrition seeing as I'm an accounting major, that hunger is natural, and you shouldn't deny yourself food. BUT it's all about making a better choice.

I did not read the whole post. I skipped to the last page and am ignoring all the crazy. This is just my 2cents in response to the OP and original topic at hand.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Disagree.

Eat raw spinach and celery all day long, non-stop. You will feel full and you will still have a calorie deficit.

If you are feeling hunger pangs constantly, then you should re-evaluate what you are eating and choose more satiating foods.

The idea that you always have to be hungry to lose or maintain weight is 100% absolutely unequivocally absurd.

In a calorie deficit, I never have hunger pangs. In maintenance, I literally have to force myself to eat more. In a surplus, I end up sitting at the table staring at my dinner plate dreading the next bite like some toddler forced to eat vegetables.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nonsense
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    83lbs down... Eat 1400...120g protein, 120g carbs, 50g fat, lots of fresh vegetables and fiber and it's very very rare I feel hungry... Really disagree with your post. If you eat the right things you don't need to be hungry... This lifestyle change doesn't have to be all the things you just made it out to be x

So if your not hungry on this reduced calorie diet, then what caused you to over eat so drastically in the past if you seem to be nearly unable to sense hunger?

Depression... Comfort eating. I ate when I wasn't hungry... Due to chronic fatigue and pain syndrome I was also very inactive... I've slowly increased my activity over time. Also eating the wrong g foods constantly... Try 1000 cal, of pizza vs 1000 cal fresh healthy food. I had the world's worse day yesterday and ate pizza... It wasn't satisfying or filling. Now I eat a lot still but food with much less calories. Not entirely sure I appreciated your tone... Or maybe that's just the way it came across!
  • lilylover2012
    lilylover2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely disagree with this post. All I've really done is monitored my calories. I still eat "fattening" foods, just smaller portions and I've lost just over 30 pounds in about three and a half months. No one has to put up with hunger pangs as long as they have a calorie deficit at the end of the day. If you want to eat more or higher calorie foods and fit them in, work out more. It's pretty simple. Telling someone that they can't have pizza, burgers, cake, etc and that hunger pangs are normal can be really discouraging for some people and put them off of losing weight at all.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    4af83259-5180-490b-9177-43043a7e36c1.jpg