Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    The OP is a troll..... and to top it off.. I think it's a skinny anorexic female troll with duck lips in a bikini in the mirror.....anyone remember ?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think OP is discussing a legitimate aspect of dieting. However, instead of a theoretical discussion, OP, what do you eat (or not eat) that leaves you convinced that hunger is a fact of life for dieters?

Today I ate really well, but I splurged on fruit, twice, and felt hunger pangs. It is about dealing with those feelings, that matters most. I can either decide I'm hungry, and feed myself, or realize that this is likely a blood sugar symptom and know that fruit just has that affect on me. It raises my blood sugar and when my blood sugar drops, I feel hungry. I can either avoid fruit, or deal with the hunger pangs that result from eating fruit.

So I ask OP, what do you eat that makes you feel hungry?

Also, when a stomach is shrinking as a result of having been an over eater, then there are indeed hunger pangs as a result. When I over eat on Saturday, I often struggle with feeling too hungry on Sunday. Soup broth helps to make me feel full, while letting my tummy shrink back down. And water helps with that also.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hmm....I have to say that I have *not* experienced hunger since starting MFP, with the exception of when it is getting close to meal time. (Especially when my job changes my lunch time on me! :explode: )

I seriously think that if someone is experiencing hunger often, then it's time to take a look at the number of calories as well as the quality of food being eaten.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling you're talking about; when I'm not logging my foods on MFP, I do tend to just graze all day. But most of the hunger I experience throughout a given day is "emotional" more than based on my nutrition needs. Sure, I know the feeling of pain from being hungry and the discomfort of a stomach too empty, but I don't think it's just a given that you'll experience those forever. By logging on MFP, I have found lower calorie, higher nutrient foods that really do satisfy my hunger better than stuff like doughnuts, fast food burritos, and other junk I was eating before. I never used to eat breakfast, and now I usually have a big one every day! I really do think that eating "cleaner," higher-nutrient foods can stave the hunger. When I'm feeling healthy, I don't crave junk. It's true. I almost always only crave sweets and fast food once I've let them back into my diet in the first place.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I also disagree regarding 'always feeling hunger pangs'. Actually you don't have to feel hunger pangs to lose weight. You just have to make sure that you eat at regular intervals, and that the food you eat has slow-digesting sugars instead of fast ones, and that there's bulk in your food so it's not empty calories. Try to avoid drinking your cals... and instead have whole grains and lots of veggies. You don't have to live with hunger pangs. Your stomach will adjust in size eventually and your liver, bile duct, pancreas etc will also adjust their secretions... so that your body knows when to release those hormones and enzymes and in what amount... then your leptin and grelin situation will get under control. You *do not* have to live with hunger pangs.

I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...

Um, nope! I ate too much because I loved food and ate until I could eat no more, then sat around watching TV instead of exercising. My problem was laziness, not hunger.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Honestly, the OP sounds like someone with an eating disorder...the discussion and emphasis of talking about 'discipline', 'denial', ect...these are all ED buzzwords. There is a difference between bored hungry, sad hungry, and real, physical hunger. My first few days eating at a deficit I was more hungry than normal, but it went away quickly. If you eat the right foods, there is no reason to be hungry all the time!!

The more I read of this thread, the more I realize that OP is not just some confused newbie but apparently has some sort of eating disorder. Seek help, OP.
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the OP sounds like someone with an eating disorder...the discussion and emphasis of talking about 'discipline', 'denial', ect...these are all ED buzzwords. There is a difference between bored hungry, sad hungry, and real, physical hunger. My first few days eating at a deficit I was more hungry than normal, but it went away quickly. If you eat the right foods, there is no reason to be hungry all the time!!

The more I read of this thread, the more I realize that OP is not just some confused newbie but apparently has some sort of eating disorder. Seek help, OP.

Seriously? :O
    Somebody emphasizes discipline and/or denial, and they have a disorder? :O
    Contrary to popular opinion, self-discipline and self-denial are virtues inherent to good character. I like to talk about food in terms of "restriction," which of course, is an equally unpopular concept. But smart people RESTRICT themselves every day in a multitute of areas:
    Smart people restrict themselves to not drive through red lights...
    Smart people who want to stay out of debt or maximize savings, restrict their spending...
    Smart people who want to stay happily married restrict themselves to one bedroom partner...
    Smart people who don't want to become alcoholics, restrict the amount that they drink...
    (And the above examples affect your health [directly or indirectly] just like your food intake.)

Restriction (like discipline and denial) should not have a negative connotation...but, many perceive these as bad things - because our society tends to foster the idea that "you deserve to have whatever you desire..." Keep in mind that what we desire is NOT always right or good for us! Hence, the merit of restriction, discipline, and denial!

Calorie Restriction / Optimum Nutrition
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only time I'm ever hungry is when it's time to eat. I wake up hungry. I'm a little hungry before my morning snack, and before lunch, and before my afternoon snack, and before dinner, and before my evening snack.

But pangs? Don't have them.
  • estherestrada7
    Options
    WOW !! If your eating all the right things , why the hunger pangs ?? there are so many alternative food to eat that are better for you. Like a BIG FAT CHEESE BURGER.... eat that as your lunch. At breakfast have pouched eggs Ect.... and at dinner Baked eggplant with spagettti squash..... ween youself to a better diet. before you know it... your choice of foods are better and your eating healthier, And losing weight.. The weight lost is not going to happen over nite.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Think the hunger pangs have gotten to the OP's brain!

I put on weight because I ate too much junk food and didn't exercise....I've been losing weight by cutting down on junk food and exercising. Hunger pangs? Nope, don't have them, I get a little hungry when it's close to meal times though, which is normal. I'm not depriving myself of every bit of food I like, this is a lifestyle not a diet, and guess what, I've been losing weight consistently since I started.

I call Troll on this :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Seriously? :O
    Somebody emphasizes discipline and/or denial, and they have a disorder? :O
    Contrary to popular opinion, self-discipline and self-denial are virtues inherent to good character. I like to talk about food in terms of "restriction," which of course, is an equally unpopular concept. But smart people RESTRICT themselves every day in a multitute of areas:
    Smart people restrict themselves to not drive through red lights...
    Smart people who want to stay out of debt or maximize savings, restrict their spending...
    Smart people who want to stay happily married restrict themselves to one bedroom partner...
    Smart people who don't want to become alcoholics, restrict the amount that they drink...
    (And the above examples affect your health [directly or indirectly] just like your food intake.)

Restriction (like discipline and denial) should not have a negative connotation...but, many perceive these as bad things - because our society tends to foster the idea that "you deserve to have whatever you desire..." Keep in mind that what we desire is NOT always right or good for us! Hence, the merit of restriction, discipline, and denial!

Calorie Restriction / Optimum Nutrition

Yes, OP's comment are bordering on orthorexia. The comments about hunger are simply dead wrong. Discipline and denial do NOT go hand-in-hand by default.

Seriously, if you are hungry all the time, then you are either not eating the right things, or you have a psychological issue with food. Restricting calories, when you are obese, is discipline to be sure, but it's not necessarily denial. When people get too caught up in denying themselves, they can quickly spiral into psychological problems, such as orthorexia.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer constantly from hunger pangs. Yes, I feel hungry at times but I don't HAVE to stay hungry. When I'm hungry, I eat and then I don't feel hungry anymore. How is that being "out of touch" with my body? I've lost more than 30 pounds of fat doing this, I don't feel deprived or starving. I don't see quite why you think someone needs to be constantly suffering from hunger pangs to lose weight. After a little while your stomach begins to shrink and then it takes less food to fill you up.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Seriously, if you are hungry all the time, then you are either not eating the right things, or you have a psychological issue with food.

Or you're deadlifting buttloads of weight and it makes you want to consume a small child/animal ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Seriously, if you are hungry all the time, then you are either not eating the right things, or you have a psychological issue with food.

Or you're deadlifting buttloads of weight and it makes you want to consume a small child/animal ;)

^^^^ True! :smokin:
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    83lbs down... Eat 1400...120g protein, 120g carbs, 50g fat, lots of fresh vegetables and fiber and it's very very rare I feel hungry... Really disagree with your post. If you eat the right things you don't need to be hungry... This lifestyle change doesn't have to be all the things you just made it out to be x

So if your not hungry on this reduced calorie diet, then what caused you to over eat so drastically in the past if you seem to be nearly unable to sense hunger?

Depression... Comfort eating. I ate when I wasn't hungry... Due to chronic fatigue and pain syndrome I was also very inactive... I've slowly increased my activity over time. Also eating the wrong g foods constantly... Try 1000 cal, of pizza vs 1000 cal fresh healthy food. I had the world's worse day yesterday and ate pizza... It wasn't satisfying or filling. Now I eat a lot still but food with much less calories. Not entirely sure I appreciated your tone... Or maybe that's just the way it came across!
    notice how the op is ignoring these sorts of answers?;)
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Yup. Absolutely. If you are following the standard north american diet while trying to lose weight, you will experience hunger pangs and cravings.

If, on the other hand, you choose to follow a plant-based, nutrient-rich diet that includes green smoothies, vegetables juices, nuts, seeds, vegetable and fruit salads, raw cacao, and other superfoods, these hunger pangs and cravings will lessen and eventually disappear entirely.

I've been following a plant-based diet [70% raw] for a few months and have experienced very few hunger pangs and my cravings are less and less as time goes by. I can honestly say I haven't had a craving more than once or twice a week, as opposed to after every meal with the standard north american diet. The anxiety has gone.

I've lost an average of 2.95 pounds a week.

Your choice.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    no matter what caused each of us to get fat....no matter what caused each of us to "want to eat", we, in order to maintain our goals once achived, will have to continue to deny that, "want", irreguardless of what caused the want....you will have to continue denying your self the satisfaction of satisfying that "want"...
    I. Used to "want" to binge all the time. I am finding I don't have that "want" or whatever as much these days. And "half the time"? So should people pick 50% of the day to ignore and not ignore?
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

jmo, but
    I would guess that the *hunger* "that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place" was very likely NOT physical hunger.
    We need to learn to differentiate physical hunger/needs from the emotional wants and desires.
    [/quote]

...and we have come full circle.
  • deaha
    deaha Posts: 1
    Options
    I 100 percent agree with what this poster said. Its sad this just came to me i have been trying to get into shape for about 7 seven years i have always been small but not in shape like i want. I could never get the eating under control because i love fast food or did. I have been without it for a year now and for the past month i have eaten very healthy because i got tired of feeling like crap.

Yet even eating healthy no weight loss and i recently put on 15 pounds more than i am use to and thinking over the times i lost weight one thing came to mind. I felt hungry.. The only time this wasnt true is when i worked out like a mad woman everyday for 4 months and even then i felt hunger but i ate to stop it.

Even though this just dawned on me today that when your body is at a certian weight it wants to maintian so if your body needs 1700 calories and doesnt get that you feel hunger. I can't believe that after years of how to eat how much protein and how much fat it could be this simple i guess i wont know until i try this out.

But if its that simple then how silly a lot of people will feel.