Please tell me my mom is wrong!

Options

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My jean size now is the same size I wore my senior year in high school back in 2003...It can definitely be done
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So, I am 24 years old. When I started college at age 18, I weighed a healthy 165 lbs (I'm 5'10"). I should also add that during high school, I lost about 50 pounds to get down to that 165. Now, as a medical student, I've gotten up to 230 lbs due to inactivity and excessive eating. To make a long story short, I offered a pair of my smaller jeans to my younger sister (these jeans fit me when I was about 190 lbs) and they didn't fit her, so my mom suggested she give them to a friend. I said, "Oh, don't do that... I'm planning to be able to fit back into those soon." She replied, "Honey, we can't all be the same size as we were in college. Your body has changed." Basically, her theory is that women shouldn't aspire to be the size they were in college (for me, that was a size 10/12... nothing crazy) because as they age, their bodies somehow magically morph into something unrecognizable. I mean... I don't see any truth in her logic, but it still is really discouraging to hear.

I know that a lot of members have commented about hurtful things their moms have said to them regarding weight (either loss or gain). Is it just a mom thing? Has anyone figured out how to filter and disregard this sort of jealous, discouraging mom talk? It really gets to me. :(

your body may have 'changed'...but haven't you ever seen the talk shows where the nerd/fat kid from HS is now some hottie? You HAVE the muscles, etc in there, and it is up to you to shed the fat suit.

I was 135lbs when I got pregnant the first time...I have been as high as 228lbs. Right now I am working on weight training, and I am hoping to get back down into a size 8/10--something I have not done in 18 years. I am pretty sure I can do it too--I'm in a 14 now and 50lbs away from goal weight.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There are some hormonal changes at menopause that significantly impact weight distribution and fat storage, but that is a long way off, set your goals to be healthy and you can achieve your goals.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. I think I may have hit my current weight in between 5th and 6th grades, but was never this weight/size as an adult. For me it was my mother-in-law after my first child ... "you'll never look the same again." And I don't. I'm way smaller, stronger and healthier! You can do it!
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    I'm sorry your mom said that to you, and really, her atittude towards it is kind of what's wrong with our thought process about weight these days. So many people think getting older (even just out-of-college older) means you HAVE to put on weight or that your body isn't capable of maintaining a healthy weight anymore. Sure, your metabolism may change, but you can ALWAYS control how much you weigh through diet and exercise. There's never a time when you can't make that change for yourself, as long as you know your own body and how much you should be eating to lose. Keep your head up!

ETA: Just looked back at your OP, and good grief, you're only 24! She shouldn't be telling you not to aspire to be the best, fittest you--you're still in your 20's!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am 25 years old. Sure my hips have widened for more of a figure (no pregnancies) but I am 10 lbs away from my lowest high school weight. I lost maybe 20 lbs in highschool to be 120 lbs. I really dont know what my high number was.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    She's probably just mad that she isn't her college weight.

I'm 25 now, I slowly gained 25 lbs. throughout college and during the time I worked in retail after college. I started law school and I've lost 30 lbs so I'm smaller than I was in high school. So obvi she is wrong.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    In 4 pounds, I will be the same weight and size I was when I graduated from college in 1976. Even two children later everything seems to be in about the same place.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone who has replied. Reading your encouraging words and success stories has lifted my spirits and renewed my motivation. For some reason, I never considered saying "that's just not true" to my mom when she comes up with these odd theories. Now if only I can get her to stop going "gross" and "ew, get that away from me" when I eat something as bizarre (in her opinion) as tempeh. ;)
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    I don't know, I looked at my dad today and said that I was going to wear a pair of jeans smaller than he is one day. He's an average healthy size..between 32-33 waist in jeans...sometimes smaller (in the summer) and he looked at me and laughed " No you won't.." "why??" " He's like because you've got big hips.." I was like yeah okay we'll see.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Your mom is wrong.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and in a size 6 - so it can absolutely be done! I started at a size 18W! And as for your mom - if she can't support what you want to do, learn to ignore her! I know that's hard. My mom and I went through the weight loss journey together and we were each others best support system and I'm sorry you don't have that with your mom. Between the two of us we lost about 160 pounds (a whole other person!) Don't be discouraged! You CAN do this!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    OH! That is so wrong!!! I am a mom to a 24 yr old woman (soon to be 25!) and I think she looks terrific~and I tell her that, too!! I am very proud of my daughter!

And as for the jeans! Hang on to those! You will wear them again!!!

I am now (at 50) smaller than I was in High School and College. It can be done! Never give up~Never surrender!!!
  • undeludedwish
    Options
    It is a mom thing! I don't know why - but there must be some complex psychological theory to explain it - but mothers/daughters tend to exhibit a slight variation of jealousy towards each other. It's partially out of love - because you don't want the other person to suffer by dieting too hard - but its also partially a situation where moms/daughters feel like they should be identical so when one gets healthier than the other the other one feels like she should correct it so they are the same again because otherwise she has to admit that maybe she should get healthy too which is much harder.

I used to have it bad with my mom. She got better with time though, because she saw how sad gaining weight made me feel, and how much happier I was when I got back down to my maintenance weight. Just the other day she even supported me. It was a big step! Try confronting her about it. Don't let the little things ruin your relationship with your mother, because you only have one mom!
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    She's probably just mad that she isn't her college weight.

I'm 25 now, I slowly gained 25 lbs. throughout college and during the time I worked in retail after college. I started law school and I've lost 30 lbs so I'm smaller than I was in high school. So obvi she is wrong.

I agree. She weighed 98 lbs and was 5'7" when she graduated from high school. She went on to enjoy success as a model. She's since had six kids and looks good all things considered. She weighs almost twice as much now as she did on graduation day, but in reality, no 5'7" adult woman should weigh under 100 lbs.
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that your mom said that to you. That's not the best thing for anybody to ever say to anybody, especially their own flesh and blood. However, i'd just like to say that she's wrong. IF you have the will and the desire to get smaller/fitter/healthier then you can achieve it. There's no special age when, especially a woman, you magically gain weight and will never go back down. That's hogwash!
    For example, i'm the fittest i've been since freshman year of high school i bet (meanwhile, i graduated high school in '03). I'm actually 5 lbs less then i ever was in High school....Not to say that i was big in high school, i was at the normal weight for my age; but due to unhealthy practices.
    I've got 2 Kids, a 6 1/2 year old and an almost 4 year old and i'm the smalles i've been since 1999! Yes, 1999! It's totally achievable you just have to put your mind to it and work on it.
    Perhaps your mom is just stuck in the old mind frame about how once you hit your 20's that's the smallest you'll ever be again and once you start to gain say 'bye bye' to ever being that size again. It's a sad reality to some i think.
    Keep your head up, you'll reach your goal in time and then you can tell everybody that doubted you that you did it, and on your own terms.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm in veterinary medical school. I weighed 127 going into school two years ago. I went up to 135 from lack or exercise and many cookies before I caught myself. I'm now at 123ish.

Your mother is wrong.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It most definitely can be done. I'll be 43 in two weeks and I'm currently wearing a smaller size than I was at 25. I will say this though, my body shape is somewhat different, my hips are wider and chest is smaller (big bummer). Our bodies do change, but that doesn't mean you can never get back to a particular size or weight, that is just crazy talk.

I agree with others, use it for motivation. Nothing motivates me more than someone telling me I can't do something. :laugh:
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'm 32 with two kids and I'm in better shape and healthier than I have ever been in my adult life. I'm two pant sizes smaller and a shirt size smaller and weigh less and am more muscular than I was in college. If I hadn't of started caring and continued to over eat, I wouldn't be where I am now, I'd be worse off than when I was in college. I used to swear my hips would never allow me to get smaller than a size 10 pants, that it was my actual hip bones and not fat that would never allow me to get into smaller pants. Not true, since starting MFP and being healthy 4 months ago, I'm now in a size 6 and could easily see myself in a 4 eventually. Good luck, that's just silly you can't be the size you were in college, of course not if you don't work for it though.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ((Hugs to you))

Yes your Mom is wrong.. you can achieve whatever weight loss goals you would like to achieve. Maybe prove her wrong as long as its a goal that you yourself want. The key here is embarking on something FOR YOU not her.

Mothers are a funny species at times... My mom after she had children has been a size 18 - 24. She has never been a small woman. I have NEVER I mean NEVER said a word to her about her weight or asked her about her eating/exercise program - her progress... not ANYTHING... I didn't want her to feel bad. Yet she ALWAYS asked me how I was doing on my weight loss.

Her making comments and consistently checking in about it - made me feel bad for any efforts I was making. I finally broke down and just flat out told her that any comments about my weight were hurtful and to please stop. She no longer says a word about it... just the way I like it! Good luck!