Why is it ok to bash skinny people but not fat people?!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here are saying something to the effect of, "We call them gross and disgusting behind their backs because we are trying to help them". Lolololololol People are funny creatures lacking in logic and accurate self-reflection about their motivations and actions.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't know, whenever I want to help someone I try to tell someone—who is not the person I intend to help—about my motivations in snide remarks in a setting in which that person would not have heard me.

It's how I roll.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    it can be a bit annoying, especially when your BMI is in the health range. mine is 22, and i get some "too thin" comments sometimes. not too many, though; most people are pretty supportive.

You're a man and for me that is very relevant--I'd probably be one of the "too thin" commenters.

underweight is below 18; overweight is above 25. i find it hard to believe anyone could be too thin with a lean body mass index of 22.

most of the "too thin" comments come from those who knew me when i weighed more than 250. people who meet me for the first time just assume that i have always been this weight.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the responses yet. DISCLAIMER OVER.

It's okay because lots of fat people are insecure and want to lash out at the reverse.

But really. There just isn't enough awareness. We push not to make fun of fat people. We push not to make fun of varying sexual tastes (I push for people not to TALK about their sexual preferences period. I don't need to know! :P ). We push not to make fun of those with disabilities. We push not to make fun of different races and cultures.

We don't push to respect all body shapes.
    We don't push to respect PEOPLE, period.

I think the whole awareness thing has become too specific. I think we should just teach people not to be mean *kitten*. That might work better then all these other awareness campaigns.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Maybe it just seems that way because 2/3 of the US population is overweight or obese? No one ever bashes others that are similar to them.

ETA: and like those on the front page, I too, hate everyone equally... unless you're my friend or smart or a funny smart *kitten* or can use the blinkers in your car, then I like you... but most people... I hate and am annoyed by.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm chiming in here because of my MIL. She is VERY petite as in can still wear junior's jeans! My SIL and I were both overweight and whenever we discussed how hard it was,etc. she would always chime in with how hard it is to be so skinny and small. People say things to her that really make her angry and her exact argument has always been why is it ok to point out how small I am but It's not ok for me to point out how big someone else is? It's been really hard on her!