1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
Has anyone else noticed that most of the "I have a problem..." threads are started by those with a 1200 calorie daily limit? Especially the "I can't stop snacking" and "I'm so hungry!" threads.

Coincidence? Something to consider if you're currently struggling at 1200 calories?

Or am I just imagining this?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You don't understand how hard it is to eat 1,200 calories. I do it all the time* and I'm sooooooo full.

*for lunch
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Grehlin...

but I really don't have to tell you that, do I?
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No coincidence. :wink:
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    yeeeeah.......F my life =/

I'm 1200 calories and I always have a problem. and I'm always starving. and I'm not losing weight. Because I can't eat only 1200 friggen calories! WAHHHH
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably right.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Probably. Considering most people jump right into things trying to lose 25lbs a week and starving themselves, they're inevitably going to be the people wondering how an entire roll of pillsbury cookies entered their mouth.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    1200 cals worked for me for the first few months, but instead of crabbing about my plateau I upped my calories and started losing again. Woohoo! Imagine that! ;)
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You don't understand how hard it is to eat 1,200 calories. I do it all the time* and I'm sooooooo full.

*for lunch

What he said...
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    it's elementary my dear watson!
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    good-point-g1.gif?w=245&h=190
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    MFP has set me at 1200 calories... and yeh i eat over... but I also exercise... I generally cant eat back all my exercise calories and I have a small deficit... I think those who are complaining are trying to eat just 1200... not taking into account exercising in order to give yourself a few hundred more calories to play with!!
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i eat less than that and it has worked i give it my all and dont think about it
  • christineak2012
    christineak2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    uh oh! something to look forward to? I just started and that is what my calories are. :0
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    BTW- in order for me to lose 1lb/week, I have to eat 1200. When I work out I get some back.

to lose .5lb/week I get around 1400. I try to eat between 1200-1400 depending on the day..

Weight loss isn't easy when you don't have much to lose... =/
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed that, but I'll keep a lookout.

I'm on 1200 & I'm not finding it too bad. The trick for me is finding lower calorie / high volume things to eat to keep me feeling full, especially on days like today where my work brought in food for lunch which I ate, so now I have to figure out how to eat dinner without blowing it for the day!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Word.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    For me I know i posted my question about being hungry at about that many cals because im NEW to this. Im not use to eating 3 meals + snacks. Im not use to drinking water. My body is use to eating dinner and drinking mt dew and thats it. So when i shifted into this, of course I wasnt expecting instant results but i wondered what i was maybe missing. Now i know to eat more protein to stay full and maybe play around with meal times or try smaller, more frequent meals.

Its not always that we lower cal people stuff ding dongs in our mouths and whine, some of us just dont know what to do. :happy:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily the calorie count's problem specifically; it's that the majority of the people who are having problems those same repeat problems haven't done much research -- they just think MFP is a magic formula. They type in the numbers and follow it and see what they want. It is connected to a number of problems: people who are already quite trim trying to lose very fast, people who are still fairly overweight but don't know how to read their fluctuations, people who don't understand how to build their calories in a healthy way but only know how to cut, cut, cut.

It's a bit of a case of "didn't read the fine print."

Plenty of people use the 1200 calorie as a base line and do quite well. But the majority of "I have a problem" threads come down to lack of research, IMO.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I learned long ago to not get tied to calories per day. I do much better with a calorie count for three days. I do fine if I have less then 1K for a day or two if I have 3K another. Doesn't happen often, but it works for me. Anything thats to regimented is going to fail (for me) - another truth that it took me decades to understand.