Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• pinky_pie
    Options
    And don't forget the sodium...I always have to watch how much sodium is in one serving. When I forget, my hands can swell up to more sausage like than they already are.

There are so many that laud the benefits of spinach, and I so want to like spinach but...ugh. Just can't!
  • pode23
    Options
    take a quarter cup and mix with various dried fruits as a snack.

I love this idea!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I once had a dark chocolate bar that was pre-divided into 8 squares, however, one serving was 1/5 of the bar. :huh:
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I love to read nutrition facts... I'm frequently amused by the information on them! This weekend I read the stats on a chocolate bar at Trader Joe's. It said a serving was 2/3 of the bar, and there were 2.5 servings per package (1 bar). HUH? Ok, I know I have the magical ability to read what I want to read, but I showed it to my husband and he saw it too! If 2/3 of the bar is a serving, wouldn't there be 1 1/3 servings per package?
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hear you all :laugh:

I wanted some peanuts and it read 145 calories for 25g, I though fair enough,
    Measured 25g and I was like :huh: Am I supposed to only eat one tablespoon of this stuff , turns out a small handfull would be close to 400 calories :laugh:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I love this idea!

Be careful. A lot of died fruit has added sugar and just a little is a lot of calories.

It's better to mix it with yogurt or use as a salad topping.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I love to read nutrition facts... I'm frequently amused by the information on them! This weekend I read the stats on a chocolate bar at Trader Joe's. It said a serving was 2/3 of the bar, and there were 2.5 servings per package (1 bar). HUH? Ok, I know I have the magical ability to read what I want to read, but I showed it to my husband and he saw it too! If 2/3 of the bar is a serving, wouldn't there be 1 1/3 servings per package?

Wouldn't it be 1.5 servings per package? 1 serving is 2/3 of the package. The remaining 1/3 of the package is 1/2 of 1 serving.

Either way, TJ got something wrong.
  • gissalm
    Options
    POP TARTS!!!! OMG

Ok so I was CRAVING poptarts not too long ago, look at the box in the store and it says something like 230 calories. I thought it was per package, IT WAS PER TART. I have a lot of calorie allowance so I figured I would have 2 packages for breakfast (which would have normally fit into breakfast calories although sugars would be over) and when I went to log it I realized it was per pastery.

They for sure need to package them better or be more specific.

From that day on, I have cut out poptarts completely.

I cried laughing!!! with your post - you're awesome!!!
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    for me, it's any dry pasta... so the serving sizes are "1/4 cup dry" - but if i'm cooking for myself and the rest of the family, without going Alton Brown and experimenting with the digital scale, how in the world does that translate to cooked???
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Wouldn't it be 1.5 servings per package? 1 serving is 2/3 of the package. The remaining 1/3 of the package is 1/2 of 1 serving.

Either way, TJ got something wrong.

You beat me to it, it would be 1.5 servings
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    for me, it's any dry pasta... so the serving sizes are "1/4 cup dry" - but if i'm cooking for myself and the rest of the family, without going Alton Brown and experimenting with the digital scale, how in the world does that translate to cooked???

Yeah, and 1/4 cup uncooked rice. Please give me the cooked serving size.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem with rye bread or other similarly shaped loaves where calorie content is provided per slice? Which slice, I always wonder, the end slices that are maybe 3 square inches or the centre slices that are 20 square inches? Is it an average slice? That would provide some interesting mathematics....measuring all of them, totalling the combined area, dividing by the number of slices...and what if part of the loaf had already been eaten? I am not as young as I once was. Maybe I am losing my mental faculties but this is just too much for me.

I'm with you on this. Need weights not slices.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.

Actually- much of it is really bad for you. Some of their most popular items are deep fried. Look up the calories on Panda Express items- Bejing beef is 560 calories (5.4 oz) vs.. Broccoli Beef 150 calories (5.4 oz- its almost all broccoli anyway) and Pepper chicken 200 calories (6 oz serving).

* Side note- no one trying to lose weight should be going to any buffet- especially chinese food

None of that is bad for you. Beef and broccoli is full of nutrition. And there is nothing wrong with deep-fried foods once in a while. It's high calorie, but it's not going to kill you to eat it once in a while.

But honestly, Panda Express is not my idea of good Chinese. The one by me went out of business as soon as it opened because we have *good* Chinese food here, like Bo Lings. http://www.bolings.com/main/home.html
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I love this idea!

Be careful. A lot of died fruit has added sugar and just a little is a lot of calories.

It's better to mix it with yogurt or use as a salad topping.

Mixed with yogurt is YUMMY!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

Brilliant! At last I know what a cup size is. This means that I have probably been underestimating my cal intake per day. Bother!
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem with rye bread or other similarly shaped loaves where calorie content is provided per slice? Which slice, I always wonder, the end slices that are maybe 3 square inches or the centre slices that are 20 square inches? Is it an average slice? That would provide some interesting mathematics....measuring all of them, totalling the combined area, dividing by the number of slices...and what if part of the loaf had already been eaten? I am not as young as I once was. Maybe I am losing my mental faculties but this is just too much for me.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
    I was just looking at this the other day. I have a yummy yummy loaf of sourdough from the seattle baking co. Give calories by the slice! I just took the one that looked the most "middle" sized -_-
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    "LOL. But I'm one of the crazy ones that can use 1 packet in a 1L bottle and think that it is still almost too sweet. ;-) "

Me too! I drink about 1/4 of the bottle and then fill up again.
  • umabdama
    umabdama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I must say the same for OAT MEAL *kitten*.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have 50g of granola, no fat Greek yogurt and satsuma a every morning... Delish x