Eating 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Are we on here to argue or help? I'm trying to read advice for the poor girl and all I keep seeing are constant battles between everyone else. MFP should be a positive environment, if someone says something you don't like, simply ignore it. I just don't understand some people, how old are we?
    It's quite simple.

We're not talking about a favorite football team or ice cream flavor. We're talking about a human life. Some people don't want to hear the truth and some of the comments here, clearly show that.

The truth isn't always going to be positive. Some people have to be tore down in order to be built up.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Are we on here to argue or help? I'm trying to read advice for the poor girl and all I keep seeing are constant battles between everyone else. MFP should be a positive environment, if someone says something you don't like, simply ignore it. I just don't understand some people, how old are we?

I'm sorry, is this directed at the OP or are you engaging in an argument with everyone else? :wink::

In all seriousness, though, it does bother me that the OP and her issues got lost along the way among bacon burger girl saying that you an totally gain weight on a small amount of food and wall of text guy who does not like to be referred to as short guy focusing on how his family is all short and stuff.

I really think that OP has some stuff she needs support in seeing and addressing and both the other people I mentioned, who I agree that I have argued with, I think said things in here that keep the OP from seeing the stuff she needs to work on.

For real, I'm actually quite worried about the OP and would love for the other folks to start their own threads in which we can discuss the size of the bacon burger hence calorie deficit/suplus and/or the shape and size of family members.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    Is it normal to have to try to eat 1200 calories a day?
    I only eat when I'm hungry and I find that generally I eat about 500-800 calories a day and sometimes if I eat a lot of unhealthy stuff I'll get up to about 1000 but unless I stuff my face I can't reach 1200?
    Also I worry that if I eat too much I'll become fat, like today I feel fat and sick and ugh I hate it.

I'd probably be described as having disordered eating and the thought of not being on MFP scares me because then I wouldn't know what I'm eating and if I've had too much fat or sugar (which often happens even at 700-ish cals a day because of sugary tea :D)

But I don't know what to do because I can't work out due to an injury when I was younger and the thought of eating 1200cals scares me, just because I'd have to eat a hell of a lot to get there and food=fat to me.

Really I just need help because I'm worried about starvation mode but I don't see the point of eating more food than I'm even hungry for?

Unless you're tiny (as in very short) you should always eat at LEAST 1200 calories per day, otherwise your body can go into starvation mode and start storing everything you eat. I used to eat around 800 per day and then found I was stuck. Since eating 1200-1400 per day I'm losing... Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Well my journal is open, and I log every day. It's accurate minus the occasional single cracker I sneak in. I eat in the neighborhood of 1000 calories day in and day out, with a multivitamin and protein shakes most days. I've been dieting like this since I hired my trainer Sept 12th. And she tells me the same thing, I eat too little. I ask myself if I am truly hungry, or just bored and want to graze - and usually I can wait a bit longer. I eat when I want, I just don't eat that often.

I've tried eating frequently, every couple of hours, all at once, fasting, gorging, low carbs. low fats. with cardio. without cardio. My workouts mostly consist of weight training, lifting. She wants me to do crossfit and I just growl at her. Cardio leaves me out of breath, but unspent, weight training leaves me feeling weak and spent and unable to walk after squatting heavy enough. I just hit a new high in squatting though, I was able to do 205 x3

In high school I was able to do 405 squatting. I want to get back there while slashing off this belleh.

I hit 180 a month ago, and have been at this plateau for 3 weeks now.

I can get you there but it takes time to work up to it.
    Read this site http://rippedbody.jp in its entirety.
    Don't worry about fasting if you don't want to.
    I like fasting so I do it daily.

On rest days eat 1500-1700 on lift days eat 2k-3k.
    Rest days are high fat low carb lift days are pure starches.
    All high protein.
    Doing this will trigger muscle memory and you'll slash fat.
    The high feeds coupled with heavy compounds will help route nutrients to muscle.
    The high fat low cal days will help burn fat.
    Get a pedometer and hit 8-10k steps and that's all the cardio you need.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    It's quite simple.

We're not talking about a favorite football team or ice cream flavor. We're talking about a human life. Some people don't want to hear the truth and some of the comments here, clearly show that.

The truth isn't always going to be positive. Some people have to be tore down in order to be built up.

Lets all pretend I said that. It was awesome and precisely my motivation.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I don't think personally attacking someone is warranted however sometimes the truth is not fun to hear.

Silence does not help if someone is misinformed.
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options

I'm sorry, is this directed at the OP or are you engaging in an argument with everyone else? :wink::

In all seriousness, though, it does bother me that the OP and her issues got lost along the way among bacon burger girl saying that you an totally gain weight on a small amount of food and wall of text guy who does not like to be referred to as short guy focusing on how his family is all short and stuff.

I really think that OP has some stuff she needs support in seeing and addressing and both the other people I mentioned, who I agree that I have argued with, I think said things in here that keep the OP from seeing the stuff she needs to work on.

For real, I'm actually quite worried about the OP and would love for the other folks to start their own threads in which we can discuss the size of the bacon burger hence calorie deficit/suplus and/or the shape and size of family members.

Haha I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular, I think I even posted that same statement again... :p
    I'm just saying I feel alot of people are here to criticize one another than actually help. And yes I completely agree with the baconator needing another thread!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

The point is, she got some bad advice which if she took that as validation, could very well be harmful to her health, even life threatening. Hence the battle. Understand now?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My uncles are overweight due to overeating, and lack of excersise in the case of 2 of them. the 3rd works out like crazy but doesn't restrict calories, and still has santa belly. I'll invite you for christmas so you can interview us. My mom isn't overweight, nor is my sister or most of my female cousins, and they ALL eat like BIRDS. But they look healthy, all 6 cousins and most of my aunts.

And I was trying to help the op understand why she is full when only eating 1000 calories. When we log, a lot of times its easy for us to underestimate calories, or overestimate them if we are wanting to lean one way or another.

All of you people who think that there is only one way to Jesus seriously need to stop being so closed minded. I wish I had logged before I started cutting, to see how I got to 210 pounds, but it wasn't by eating all day, it was by overeating at the 2 or 3 meals I did eat. And I didn't overeat by much, I weighed 170 after a tonsillectomy in 2010, the lowest I had been since high school, I couldn't eat anything solid for weeks because of the pain, even with liquid vicodin. It took me two years to get to 210 lbs. I've always looked heftier or husky as my mom calls it.

So all of you, stop peacocking and realize that some of us just eat less. Maintenance for me is probably 1600 to 1800 calories.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    My uncles are overweight due to overeating, and lack of excersise in the case of 2 of them. the 3rd works out like crazy but doesn't restrict calories, and still has santa belly. I'll invite you for christmas so you can interview us. My mom isn't overweight, nor is my sister or most of my female cousins, and they ALL eat like BIRDS. But they look healthy, all 6 cousins and most of my aunts.

And I was trying to help the op understand why she is full when only eating 1000 calories. When we log, a lot of times its easy for us to underestimate calories, or overestimate them if we are wanting to lean one way or another.

All of you people who think that there is only one way to Jesus seriously need to stop being so closed minded. I wish I had logged before I started cutting, to see how I got to 210 pounds, but it wasn't by eating all day, it was by overeating at the 2 or 3 meals I did eat. And I didn't overeat by much, I weighed 170 after a tonsillectomy in 2010, the lowest I had been since high school, I couldn't eat anything solid for weeks because of the pain, even with liquid vicodin. It took me two years to get to 210 lbs. I've always looked heftier or husky as my mom calls it.

So all of you, stop peacocking and realize that some of us just eat less. Maintenance for me is probably 1600 to 1800 calories.

The reason she is full, and you are full, is because of what you have done to your hormones by eating that way. And your maintenance is not 1600 to 1800. I am a 49 year old woman, 5'6" in the 150's weight and sedentary, and I am losing weight at 1700 calories.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options

please start your own thread. OP has gotten lost in the fascinating discussion of your family members.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    The reason she is full, and you are full, is because of what you have done to your hormones by eating that way. And your maintenance is not 1600 to 1800. I am a 49 year old woman, 5'6" in the 150's weight and sedentary, and I am losing weight at 1700 calories.

ok.
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options

The point is, she got some bad advice which if she took that as validation, could very well be harmful to her health, even life threatening. Hence the battle. Understand now?

I understand that. So personally message her if you believe she got wrong information, or send her a direct source of where you are getting information, so she herself can see what is valid and what is not. But a bunch of people on a forum trying to attack one another doesn't prove anything 'valid'
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Chris should be well underway.
    Chris search forums for "road map" or could someone post it.
    I'm iPhoneing it today.

OP wake up.
    Your body is the most complex machine in the world and giving it sub minimal nutrients will lead to plateau then rebound.
    Do it right, do it once and move forward!
  • deksgrl
    Options

I understand that. So personally message her if you believe she got wrong information, or send her a direct source of where you are getting information, so she herself can see what is valid and what is not. But a bunch of people on a forum trying to attack one another doesn't prove anything 'valid'

And allow everyone else who reads the wrong information to believe it as well? That would be misguided.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

please start your own thread. OP has gotten lost in the fascinating discussion of your family members.

I said A, and so many people were flaming at me telling me that I had no idea what I was talking about. I do know, I have experience with this, and I was replying to mister buff up there about how my maintenance is like, wicked crazy. I refuse to let you all run over me simply because I don't eat an amount of calories that would make me gain. We are all different and all have different needs and metabolic processes,

My point, which was parenthetical at best, was that if she's full, then she shouldn't load up on fried crap to hit 1200 calories, she should eat healthy.

You can't defeat me simply by shouting in large numbers. If the op were underweight I would not be saying this, but she is not underweight, she is in the upper range for her height class. God help it if a model walked in here. You'd all accuse her of being a walking dead by her calorie counts.
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options

And allow everyone else who reads the wrong information to believe it as well? That would be misguided.

This entire forum is beyond misguided...
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options

Which is awesome for the OP but leaves the misinformation out there for the lurkers.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

Which is awesome for the OP but leaves the misinformation out there for the lurkers.

God forbid we actually use our own mind to separate fact from fiction, or real world experience with different situations over supposition and assumptions.

You obviously don't believe in the adage that "I may disagree with what I say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
  • cafeydos
    cafeydos Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I just wish I had the magical metabolism that let me lose on 1800 while being sedentary.

Maintaining at 1200 is just as possible, and I'm going to need some *actual* sources for "it's because you've messed up your hormones". Every single body is different with different nutritional needs, and derailing the thread essentially over who isn't telling the OP to see a therapist loud enough, is obnoxious.
This discussion has been closed.