Are you still together/married now...?

Options

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    3 months, 21 years married/22 together and yes we are. It's flipping hard work and can kill him somedays but as Chris Rock says you've never been in love if you've never contemplated murder. :)
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    He said he knew I was the perfect girl in high school, but he was two years younger so I just considered him a friend. I went to college and we never crossed paths again until 7 years later and the advent of facebook. We reconnected and started emailing back and forth (he was deployed at the time). Within a few email exchanges and a couple of phone calls we already knew we were going to get married. Our first date a couple of months later sealed the deal.
    Started 'talking' - March 2007
    First date - May 2007
    Moved in - May 2008
    Married - July 2009

I was married before him, and I thought it was right, we'd been together for four years and that seemed an appropriate amount of dating. But obviously amount of time dating is not the 'tell-tale' sign since it ended in a nasty divorce. When I started talking to my husband and realized how easy it was with him, there was no other way to describe it beside 'he's the one'. Not to say my husband and I don't have our ups and downs and fights, but there's never a question of leaving each other or giving up on each other.

you are right. =)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Never met a guy I wanted to be with.

So I have nothing to contribute to this thread.

I'm really just here to tag the thread so I can read all the gushy romantic stories and then hate my life a little bit more because romance has not been in my past and probably won't be in my future.

*bitter*

There's still time.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I knew after our first date (called my mom and told her I was gonna marry this guy). He bought the ring 3 weeks after our first date. We married 8 months after our first date. Feb 2013 will make 9 years married.

But, we were both divorced, and in our early 30s. We knew what marriage was and how our previous marriages had gone wrong. We work hard every day to make sure we don't repeat mistakes from our past. It's been a great run and I'm looking forward to the next 40+ years!!

:-)
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How soon after dating your guy/girlfriend did you know that he/she was the one you wanted to be with? And are you guys still together now (how long have you guys been together?)

My hubby and I met 12.5 years ago at a mutual friend's house. It was an instant attraction and we spent the entire night talking. I finally had to make myself leave early the next morning to get myself ready for a 9hr shift at work (on no sleep). We met again the next night, but then avoided each other for a week because he was kind of seeing someone (but not exclusively) and his best friend had a thing for me. We ended up running into each other about a week later. He accidentally pocket dialed me on a random Wednesday night. I called him back after being out all night. We went to breakfast as our first date to an all night diner and we've been together ever since.

We met and got together 12.5 years ago, and we've been married for 8.5. We have a 7yo daughter. :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Met: 2006ish
    First date: April 2009
    Proposed: July 2009
    Married: March 2010

Today we are happy as ever. Sometimes its easier than before, other times, not so much.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I knew right away. Fought it like the ****ens. Then a few months later we started dating and I could no longer fight it :heart: . And yes, we're still together. Been together almost 11 years, and been married over 8 years :love:

Did MFP censor ****ens.... really?
    Yeah, you need to say Richard-ens. :laugh:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The first time I finally met him in person. Cheesy, I know. It's been a little over 3 years.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been married for 6 1/2 years as of November 13th.

We met online, so I know ours is a little bit different than a lot of people.

May 28th, 2004 - met online
    April 1st, 2005(I know...) - met in person for the first time when he moved out to Oregoin to meet me and live together as room mates
    October 23rd, 2005 - got engaged
    May 13th, 2006 - married

I'm the happiest I've ever been with anyone - we became best friends through conversation, and fell in love the same way - getting to know eachother as personalities before worrying about appearances, especially considering how self concious I was, and that I'd just gotten out of a really messy relationship that had left me very emotionally abused and broken.

Truly, though, I think every relationship is different. My parents knew eachother only weeks before they knew they'd be together forever. My husband says he knew almost immediately that I was something he needed to at least keep in his life, and I felt the same way, but I don't think either of us (both feeling like confirmed single people after messy relationships) had expected to love anyone as strongly or as immediately as we loved eachother. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. My ring is just a way to remind myself that I have the best friend in the world for me, and I feel naked without it.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My husband knew probably a week(I thought he was crazy when he told me in 1 week that I would one day be his wife). It took me a while longer but we were pretty sure that we were gonna be buggin each other a lot more often after probably 2 months of dating. That was back in 2007. We married in 2009 and still together. He is older by 7yrs. From what I have seen from other couples men usually are 100% sure before the woman is. If you are together for 12 months(if you are both clear that you want a serious relationship) and he hasn't mentioned settling down or marriage more than likely it won't happen. But thats just my personal opinion(and probably irrelevant)!

You're right, that's your opinion. People move/work at different speeds and I know of no empirical research on this issue.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    We knew immediately! Literally instant attraction and then after spending three straight days together, it just confirmed it. We waited 1 year before getting engaged, and got married 2 months after that. We have been married for 12, almost 13 years. He is still my best friend and the person I most enjoy hanging out with each day. Yes we have had difficulties, but my mother always told me that it's not how much you love during the good times, but how much you love during the tough ones.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    The first time I met my (now fiance) was at a bar through mutual friends. That night, I told my girlfriends that i was going to marry him. He was in a relationship at the time so I just saw him around occasionally. Then about two or three years later, I found out that he and his ex had been broken up for almost a year.
    In March 2011 We went on one date and decided to be exclusive. Less than a month later we said i love you, and we both knew that we were going to get married.
    In June 2012 we got engaged and moved to Colorado together. We will be getting married in June 2013 and I couldn't be more excited!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    We just celebrated our 11 year anniversary. I met her in college our sophomore year. I asked her out the summer between our sophomore and junior year. We got engaged our senior year and got married a year later. I don't think it clicked for me immediately. I knew I wanted to be with her after about a month.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Sold my car to move out of my parents. We lived together for 4 years before we got married, been married ever since. 15 years this past Oct. ;D
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We knew before we had even met IRL. We met through a video game message board that we both posted on and got married four months after we met in real life. And yes, we're still happily married!
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I knew very early on- but was cautious due to past relationships. He knew when he realized that we had been hanging out A LOT and he still wanted me around- he's a bit of a hermit.

I think what really helped me (as I "normally" would have been very romantic and gushy) was that I had just been hurt very badly and was doubtful, so I didn't put any pressure on the relationship and he could just be him and I was just me and we just really enjoyed being together, more than being apart.

Dec will be our three year wedding anniversary and his birthday in January will mark our five years as a couple.

If you can be yourself with him/her, if you are comfortable saying the stupid things you wouldn't in front of others, if you trust them with your heart- that is an amazing start!!! Good luck!
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I knew my Mick was the one in just a few weeks of working part time together, after our first date we were inseperable and married 10 months later. We've been married 16 years come January and he's still the one I dream about.
  • virichi08
    Options
    I knew after our first date (called my mom and told her I was gonna marry this guy). He bought the ring 3 weeks after our first date. We married 8 months after our first date. Feb 2013 will make 9 years married.

But, we were both divorced, and in our early 30s. We knew what marriage was and how our previous marriages had gone wrong. We work hard every day to make sure we don't repeat mistakes from our past. It's been a great run and I'm looking forward to the next 40+ years!!

:-)

*MORE HAPPY TEARS*
  • virichi08
    Options
    We knew before we had even met IRL. We met through a video game message board that we both posted on and got married four months after we met in real life. And yes, we're still happily married!

WHERES THE *LIKE BUTTON =)
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I knew within a week of meeting my hubby that he was the one for me and we have now been married for more than 24 years. I am as happy today as I was all those years ago. We have grown together over the years and have many of the same interests but also have individual interests which means that we always have things to talk about.