Are you still together/married now...?

Options

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I love reading these awesome stories about strong, long-lasting marriages!

My friend told me she had a guy she wanted me to meet, but I kept saying no since I didn't want to be involved with someone who had been married before and had a kid. Plus, I was dating a few different guys. My friend kept pushing it and organized a bonfire as a way for the two of us to meet but in a casual, relaxed setting. I thought he was cute right away, but had to make the first move to chat with him...to make my friend happy. We ended up chatting the rest of the evening.

We had our first phone conversation a week later and went on our first date Labor Day (2008) weekend. That one date was enough for me to drop the rest of the guys. By the time his birthday, October 7th, rolled around, I knew I was a goner. But, I kept it to myself because he had told me he never wanted to get married again. I figured I had so much fun with him, I'd just see how it went.

Fast forward to February 17, 2012 and we got engaged. We'll be getting married sometime in 2013. We've taken things slow, but the past four years have been awesome. We're looking forward to 50+ more years!
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with THEN boyfriend, and NOW Husband. We have been together for 5 years, married for 3 of them :D
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I knew after he left for a few weeks. He went on tour with his band and I knew then that I didn't want to be without him! We were together a year and a half before we got engaged, then were engaged for 9 months, then got married in May of this year. So total almost 3 years together but it's better every day!
  • ashleyhacker
    Options
    We were dating eight months when my fiance asked me to marry him. We're still engaged and have been together almost two years.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    got married after 1 year. We moved in after 2 months..... Meant to be.......
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I knew right away. I was sitting in the stands at a basketball game my freshman year of college when the cheerleaders took the floor during a break in the game. I took one look at her out there and somehow knew that we would end up married one day. I can't explain it. I just knew.

I couldn't shake her out of my mind over the next year-and-a-half. Didn't matter if I was dating someone at the time or was single. Didn't matter if she was dating someone at the time. Every time we crossed paths I became more convinced that I was going to marry her.

Fast forward to the middle of our junior year. I find out she has an on-campus job as a math tutor. So, seeing an opportunity, I pretend to be bad at math, sign-up for tutoring, pull some strings to get myself assigned to her, and set about trying to win her over.

We started dating shortly thereafter, got married two weeks after graduation, and 16.5 years of marriage and 2 kids later, love her more than ever.
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I met once...and no sparks flew. Then, a year or two later we met again, and immediately clicked. I flirted with him, he joked back, but didn't really flirt. It turned out he was taken. It was an awful relationship, and he was waiting to leave her until his grandmother passed (he thought his grandmother really liked this other girl, and he didn't want to upset her.) So one day, Gram asked my man why he was so blue, wasn't he happy with his girlfriend, he said "Not really", and Gram said "Then leave the *****, I just want to see my grandson happy." (Direct quote, she was awesome.) The next day he ends up with proof that his girlfriend intended to cheat on him, or possibly had. He didn't bother to find out and told her to get out. 3 days later we were dating. That was December 2002. I wasn't into a serious relationship, he was just coming out of a 5 year one, neither one of us wanted to be exclusive, until we realized we'd spent every weekend together, and every evening talking for hours for about a month. Life was not easy on us, and money has been tight until recently. I always considered myself very lucky, because I had a roof over my head, enough money to buy food, and the love of my life. We got engaged about 5 years ago, just bought a house (we're moving this weekend), and have started talking about wedding dates next winter (2013-14).

In the end, I knew before we started dating. The way the wind picked up when we had our first kiss just confirmed it. He knew long before we were together. We kept apart, and ended up becoming friends way before anything happened. We talked about engagement and marriage long before it happened, and knew that we were always going to be together even without it. We've been together for 2 weeks short of 10 years, and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him. Well...I can...I don't want to rush through it!
  • 1Whitchick
    Options
    I knew my husband through church for years. He was married, and I was friends with his wife. I was 30 and counting, and my father always said I was picky. I continued to wait for just the right match, while being disappointed numerous times through the years. After 8 tough years of marriage (which I knew nothing about, by the way), his wife suddenly left and divorced him. From a distance, I watched him reel, recover and work through that, and was impressed. Some time later, one day I was stunned to realize I was seeing him through different eyes than before. Out of self-preservation, I kept my feelings to myself and tried to smother them with "realistic" thoughts like, "It would be a miracle if he ever noticed you that way, girl!" To no avail, he was still my favorite person to talk to and be around and I couldn't get enough of our occasional friendly chats. Finally, when I was 36, on New Year's Eve, 2006, I found out the attraction was mutual!!!! We took it super slow at first, and tried to be painfully objective and not let emotions cloud our vision - SO HARD for me; the first time we sat were together on an official date, I felt like I'd come home! After a year of slow and steady, we were engaged on November 3, 2007, got married on December 2, and this coming Sunday, it will be 5 years of wedded bliss! Not that we haven't had struggles, but we work through them together and divide the burden. I will never regret the wait, he was SO worth it, as are our two precious little girls. Like they say, better late than never, and the best things are worth waiting for! I trust if we live long enough, we can reach my parents' 44+ years of marriage too!
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Been married almost 20 years ...you know when you decide this is the one you will link to through good and bad...think of the worst it can get because it very well may happen...don't get married to anyone unless you play out the worst and the poorer, and the sickness...because being married is about being there for someone even when you don't feel like it...love is a verb not a feeling and that really needs to be true in marriage. I have never met anyone who has been married for a long time that hasn't gone through times when they lost the "feeling." Media hype makes people at that juncture think their marriage is over when it really is only going through a growth spurt...so you have to be totally committed or you won't make it through those times...

By the way, I met my husband in a restaurant and I couldn't stand him when I first met him, haha!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I met online. I was a freelance writer at the time (1998) with an assignment to research chat rooms. Hubs was posting to and moderating a room for widows/widowers. I was so touched by his posts, so I sent him an e-mail stating as much, never thinking anything would come of it (he lived in Ontario, Canada, and I, in Ohio). We corresponded and chatted on the phone for 6 mos. before meeting in person. It was almost like love at first sight, since I already loved his heart. :heart: We took turns every weekend for a year, going to each other's homes (7 hours one way!), before we finally married in mid 1999 and I moved to Canada. Have been together happily ever after...13 years and 4 months now. :smile: :drinker:
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    We met on the phone setting up a house boat trip for 14 people. Before the trip we agreed to meet in person in Chicago. For me it was love at first sight. For her....meh! And for those who know Chicago well, I proposed three weeks later on our third date at the bar at Twin Anchors. We were married within months.

So we met, fell in love, decided to get married, and had the ceremony within in eight months. Since then we've moved from Chicago to Lexington to DC and back to Chicago. Bought and sold homes. Welcomed two BEAUTIFUL kids into our world.

And now - 15 years later - even though its crazy and we rarely have a chance to talk about anything except jobs and kids and homework and "to-do's" - there is nobody I'd rather have at my side than her. No matter how cranky/crabby I get, she's always there for me. God bless her.
  • annmariedap
    annmariedap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 14 and he was 15. We dated all through high school and got married two years after I graduated. We have been married for 15 years now and together for 21 years.:heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Met 2/15, married 9/8 of the same year. In June, had a conversation by phone (200 miles away) that went something like this:

Her: "I'm pregnant."
    Me: "Well, I guess we should get married."
    Her: "Yeah, I guess."

Still going 22 years later.

Not exactly storybook, which is unfortunate, because my daughter likes to ask questions about it.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I knew right away. I was sitting in the stands at a basketball game my freshman year of college when the cheerleaders took the floor during a break in the game. I took one look at her out there and somehow knew that we would end up married one day. I can't explain it. I just knew.

I couldn't shake her out of my mind over the next year-and-a-half. Didn't matter if I was dating someone at the time or was single. Didn't matter if she was dating someone at the time. Every time we crossed paths I became more convinced that I was going to marry her.

Fast forward to the middle of our junior year. I find out she has an on-campus job as a math tutor. So, seeing an opportunity, I pretend to be bad at math, sign-up for tutoring, pull some strings to get myself assigned to her, and set about trying to win her over.

We started dating shortly thereafter, got married two weeks after graduation, and 16.5 years of marriage and 2 kids later, love her more than ever.

BAM! Thats the way you close a deal. Kudos!
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Its so different for everyone. I was together with my ex for 5 1/2yrs before we got married; but it didnt work. On a flip side; my parents were engaged after 2 weeks of being together and just celebrated their 25th anniversary!! Every couple is different and has their own "rules"; try not to compare yours to someone elses. Real pure love has no rules and isn't complicated :love: ( yeah Im a hopeless romantic lol)
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I knew on our first date. We've been together 17+ years (married 12 of those).
  • DoinItForMe32
    Options
    I think for me it was during the first month together, we are now married and have been together for 14 years :D
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    From the day I met my fiance, I felt so comfortable talking to him and being around him. This was over six years ago, in high school. We had gone on a few small dates before making it official, and we used to talk on the phone every night for no less than a few hours. We exchanged honest "I love you's" during our first month dating. Now we are going on 4 years together and I can't wait to get married!! :blushing: :love:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get "love-struck" any day now!

Me too :) I love hearing these stories though! They give me the warm fuzzies. :)
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    How soon after dating your guy/girlfriend did you know that he/she was the one you wanted to be with? And are you guys still together now (how long have you guys been together?)

Meet my wife when I was in High School I was a Freshman when she graduated. Got married the year I graduated and we have been married ever since. 42 years and 3 months of marriage 45 years totally..............