1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to note that you are at prime weight for women at 5'4".
    If you have extra body fat, cutting calories isn't the way to get rid of it.

Cyclical dieting is.

For you, take up heavy lifting 3x a week and on those days eat about 2500 calories of high quality protein and starchy carbs.
    On rest days eat about 1600 cals.

This will keep you at the same weight while building up lean mass and shrinking fat.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    down 140 lbs on 1200..not having issue with it..occationally if i splurge i eat a bit more.. past few days i let it go do to being sick and not wanting to lose any weight for a few days
  • KaeNight
    KaeNight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound a little too technical, but if you're aiming to stay as close to 1200 as physically possible then you're likely eating below your minimum. Have you noticed that the calories per serving is always a multiple of five? The FDA has a set of rounding rules in place, which means each serving is probably going to be a few calories over or under the number stated. So let's say you have ten things on your list for the day and end with 1205 calories. If each of those ten things was rounded up by three calories, then you're really sitting at 1175. Yes, you will certainly be hungry at that point and your body will go into starvation mode.

On a less technical note, the mentality and habits of a person are key. If someone is used to eating a huge amount of food, then their body will get rather confused at the sharp drop in proportions. This leads to their brain reflexively sending a message of hunger. Pair that up with physically seeing a difference in proportions on the plate and things get stressy very quickly. The emotional discord understandably leads them to seek comfort. If they had built up a habit of stress eating prior, it stands to reason that their brain would immediately request food again. Now they're hungry twice over and are much more likely to stuff themselves later.

From what I've personally seen about most people on a 1200 calorie diet though... Many just don't do it right. They treat the daily goal as a top end limit and believe that "less is more". That sort of thinking tends to cause a lot of people to eat 800 calories a day instead, hoping to drop the pounds faster. Not only that, but those people often have trouble grasping the concept of replacing the calories lost via exercise. I've seen people who log five to ten hours of exercise a day while still only eating between 800 and 1000 calories. As many have already stated here though, this is a generalization and not a rule.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    All I know is, the people with profile pics of really fit healthy looking bodies are on more than 1200 per day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    down 140 lbs on 1200..not having issue with it..occationally if i splurge i eat a bit more.. past few days i let it go do to being sick and not wanting to lose any weight for a few days

With all due respect, you have a lot to lose - you have 238lb in total according to your ticker so you have about 100 more to go. That is definitely a factor in whether a VLCD is preferential or not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to note that you are at prime weight for women at 5'4".
    If you have extra body fat, cutting calories isn't the way to get rid of it.

Cyclical dieting is.

For you, take up heavy lifting 3x a week and on those days eat about 2500 calories of high quality protein and starchy carbs.
    On rest days eat about 1600 cals.

This will keep you at the same weight while building up lean mass and shrinking fat.

Dan, you can lose body fat without calorie cycling. People do it all the time. The benefit of calorie cycling is for performance reasons and I do it myself for that reason. Any possible benefit from calorie cycling from a weight loss perspective is negligible.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Charie1981
    Charie1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those 1200 I actually went last week and had a metabolism testing and I needed to consume 1700 calories and work out at least 90 minutes a day. I was starving my self before and I am happy girl again having the proper calories and then I burn off the extra in take. Feel free to add me always looking for friends.
  • SaraA07
    Options
    My calorie goal originally was 1200 and I just couldn't handle it I was ALWAYS hungry so I did some adjusting to the numbers I put into MFP and now have a calorie goal of 1330 and I never feel hungry, it was amazing what just 130 calories did for me. I've also read about people on here who were eating 1200 and not loosing and then started to eat 1400-1500 and started to loose weight like crazy.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Probably. Considering most people jump right into things trying to lose 25lbs a week and starving themselves, they're inevitably going to be the people wondering how an entire roll of pillsbury cookies entered their mouth.
    i can be not starving and 25 cookies can find their way into my mouth.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed that, but I'll keep a lookout.

I'm on 1200 & I'm not finding it too bad. The trick for me is finding lower calorie / high volume things to eat to keep me feeling full, especially on days like today where my work brought in food for lunch which I ate, so now I have to figure out how to eat dinner without blowing it for the day!

Exactly right. A lot of people change only the number of calories and not what types of foods they're consuming. So 1200 calories can be 1x KFC variety meal or 4lbs of turkey, veg and complex carbs.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It is probably true but I just don't understand why it effects others that are not on that kind of low calorie diet. If you are tired of reading about, don't read the thread. Everyone's bodies are different and things work different for people. 1200 calorie diet works for some people and not others.
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    It's tough. I did it for months to loose. I'm down 25 lbs. I am wearing a size 6 - like i did in JR HIGH! Some days were an awesome success... even getting in the negative with a little excersize. Some days were an epic fail. (Olive Garden anyone?) That being said,1: it can be done - healthfully 2: eating filling foods and not blowing calories on junk is of paramount importance 3: don't get mad at yourself or give up on yourself if you have a bad day or two. 4: drink a full glass of water everytime you are hungry. give it 5 minutes. now go have a piece of fruit / handful of nuts. Need to break a sugar addiction? Try a juice fast / cleanse for 2 weeks. (see the movie fat, sick and nearly dead) Need to get over late night snacking? Have a time set and a plan for what you will eat for your last snack. Eat it. Still a little empty... go to sleep.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm actually proud of myself as I eat 1200 a day coming from eating large pizzas every day and I'm not hungry, I guess it's a boredom thing perhaps? I keep myself active and occupied and sometimes nearly forget I need to start cooking!

You live on pizza? Isn't that boring?
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also, I can have a footlong subway for lunch nearly everyday and be on 1200.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Also, I can have a footlong subway for lunch nearly everyday and be on 1200.

I'll stick to a wide variety of healthy foods and a lot more than 1200 measly calories. I
  • xXAndrealphusXx
    Options
    People who choose 1200 are probably new to the whole thing and think losgin weight it easy so they click 2 pounds a week, the don't have restraint yet.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    1200 is not sustainable and seems to result in starvation mode / long plateaus; upping my calories to maintenance / small deficit has resulted in a much greater loss than the MFP maths implies. I also eat back all my exercise calories, yum!
  • getitgirl11
    getitgirl11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

....ok I'm done (: For you people who go by MFP Recommended goals, you are completely being mislead!

To figure out your daily caloric intake, I recommend this to my clients:

First you need to calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) from your height, weight, age, and gender. It's basically what you need JUST to breath everday!

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you have this number, plug it into the Harris Benedict equation. This takes into play your activity level--BE honest because it does make a difference!

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

THIS number is what you should be consuming EVERDAY. Now if you're interested in LOOSING weight, subtract 500 calories from this number. If you want to gain weight, add 500 calories.

....YES, it is that simple! Now in terms of ratios, you should aim for 40/40/20, meaning 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat.

BUT you're probably asking how to do this on MFP? Simple. Go to the Goals section and change it from Recommended to Custom. You can plug in the caloric intake that you figured out and change the percentages for carbs, protein and fat....and BAM! ( : you are on your way to results and success.

-Cassie

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #14****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • Little_Laura_K
    Little_Laura_K Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think most of you understood what I was trying to say.

For the others that are insistent that 1200 is the *only* way to accomplish your goals...if you ultimately reach and maintain, then awesome. No, really...congrats. However, if it doesn't work out for you, don't give up entirely. Instead, reconsider your conclusion that 1200 is the *only* path. (In the words of a wise old philosopher, "There is another.")

I don't have much to add because for me due to size and weight 1700 a day is 2lbs a week and I've been losing it faster, and lots of inches......................

I just got excited by the Star Wars reference there. That is all.

Hello, I am a bit sick of 1300 calories when I'm not completely sure its enough for my body. How did you work out the amount you need?

Thanks and well done x