Can a marriage survive??

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If he had been honest and come clean instead of lying and you catching him so he finally admitted to it, then yes I'd say to work it out. But he didn't come clean, he got caught. In my opinion, no.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My marriages have survived, so yes. You should probably be in marriage counseling if you want it to happen to yours, though.
    MarriageS???
    That was my thought as well...
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    You have to be able to trust who you are with.

I screwed up in the past...I came clean...and my marriage has grown tremendously (married 3 years, together 12).

Counseling, a retreat...exhaust all options.

With communication, hard work, and forgiveness, it can absolutely work. But if you've at least given it your all and you decide to split, you'll know you did everything you could.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    JBU!
    *spirit fingers* \m/
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    It can survive. But the key is forgiveness. You MUST forgive him and move on if that's what you want. Don't bring it up every time you argue, don't sit around thinking about it. Don't ask him to talk about it when you're drunk. Just move on. That's the only way you will get past it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    My marriages have survived, so yes. You should probably be in marriage counseling if you want it to happen to yours, though.
    MarriageS???

ha!
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get marriage counseling. If you can trust him again and he remains faithful, then your marriage could survive. But get a professional involved to help you guys sort out your feelings and your issues.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Without going into personal details, Yes, it can work. You both have to want it and work at it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    MarriageS???

All the more reason to listen to her. She has many successful marriages going on at once! Who here can say that? She clearly wins.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    MarriageS???

LMAO! I caught this too! How many marriages have you had that survived infidelity?
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband had an affair with a coworker.....he lied about it. I found out the truth. We wanted to work it out because of the kids. It didn't work, he continued seeing her all through it. He constantly said he loved me and wanted to work it out but wouldn't let her go. I filed for divorce. For me, divorce was the best thing because I couldn't forgive him, trust him and would have never looked at him the same. We were also married for 10 years and we had 3 boys together.

I wish you luck on whatever you decide. Stay strong & keep your head up! :heart:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    The broken trust would be worse then the actualy cheating to me.

sucks!
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I would have to get even first, but I'm vindictive like that. :devil: Even so, I still wouldn't be able to forgive.

It really depends on how forgiving you are and if you think you can trust them again.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Does he take full and complete responsibility? Is he truly sorry? If so then yes, it can survive. Don't listen to the "Once a cheater, always a cheater" and "men are dogs", and "It's just in a man's nature" and all those others who have nothing to offer but silly one liners. You have to BOTH want to get past it and you have to BOTH want your marriage to succeed though. If that's the case then you can move past it and you can even build a stronger bond. But if he's trying to lay the blame on you even a little it won't work. HE cheated. I don't care if you never had sex with him, never cooked or cleaned or took care of the kids. Those are reasons to separate/divorce - not reasons to go have sex with someone else while staying married.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    JBU!

Too tired to type it out??? LOL
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes you can survive!!! It took such hard work and humble hearts for both of us. Although he did something horrible we both had to accept blame for certain situations. The ONLY reason our marriage was fixed was that we went to counseling at our church where after our wednesday service and rather than the average counseling session.. we would think of a problem that we had in our marriage and spent time looking in the bible and finding out how we should have handled the situation.

I can't express to you how painful that betrayal was. There are no words for it and it hurts so much.

I will tell you that fixing it won't work unless you both are willing to fix it together.

I will also tell you that your faith and trust will eventually be restored. We separated for 3 months before we decided to go to counseling to fix things. Until then I had fully planned on divorcing him. When we planned to fixed things I even waiting for a while after going to be sure I still wanted to be with him. I was so so so hurt. After I called off the divorce we lived apart for an additional 6 months while going to church together, going to counseling together, and having one or two dates a week. We had to completely restart in order to understand each other again.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but this affair is a result of worldly thinking. That if your heart isn't "in it" or you don't "feel in love" anymore, that you should find someone new or pursue something more exciting. Once your thinking begins to change, then things begin to look differently. Jeremiah 17:9- The heart is deceitful above all things.

Fixing it takes a considerable amount of time and effort. Much of our time was spent crying and yelling until we were tired of both. I remember the day that we had gone out together, took turns saying what we each did wrong and what we should have done or admit we understood how we hurt each other, then promised that from that day forward we were done with it and would try to no longer bring it up.

If you fix this, many of your friends and family wont understand. Many of ours didn't and we lost a few over it. But that is only one way to learn who your true friends are. The ones who will remain by your side even if they don't understand your decisions.

Add me as a friend if you ever want to vent, or talk, or ask me anything. Fixing our marriage was the greatest thing we had ever done outside of our children. Since the "bad year" (that's what we call that year) we have had 2 anniversaries, one baby, and we are working on another.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I am in a situation... My husband had an affair... I caught him. He lied but then finally admitted it.
    but I'm not so sure we can live happy ever after.

It can only happen if you both honor and respect one another 100%. The above statements say the opposite.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The key is repentance. The person having the affair needs to admit it, regret it and commit to it never happening again. S/he needs to be accountable for their whereabouts at all times and accept that it'll take time to rebuild trust.

This is exactly it.

If the person that had the affair is not willing to give up certain freedoms (access to phone, texts, email, accountability of their whereabouts at all times, etc) trust will never be rebuilt and the relationship is doomed. If giving up those freedoms is not an option the person that had the affair is already checked out.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Yes it can survive. Was it just sex or does he have feelings for the other woman?
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Me? Never. My husband ever cheated we would be done. No if's and's or but's. I am the least forgiving person though