Sexual Orientation Changed Through Reparative Therapy?

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• herrhitman
    Options
    The success of these "therapies" has nothing to do with weather someone is born gay or not. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking of sexuality (and gender) as a binary. But it is a multi-dimensional scale (there are heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, pansexuals, asexuals, etc). Sure some people are 100% heterosexual, some people are 100% homosexual, some people are 100% asexual, etc. But most aren't. And that's why some times you can get these "therapy success" stories, but other times it is massive failure.

(I didn't see this mentioned here, in a quick perusal, so sorry if someone already mentioned it.)
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. I disapprove of my obese friend overeating fast food and staying inactive, just like I disapprove of much of my family smoking.

The key here is that the things I disapprove of, their way of living? It's harmful.

Funny how the only thing that says homosexuality is "harmful" is a vague and not universally interpreted few verses in a multiple millenia year old book.
    That makes perfect sense.

Just to make sure that I understand, you would not disapprove of necrophilia, would you? Surely you won't argue that there is any harm done to the dead body! My God, it can't possibly be worse than the horrible things they do to the dead bodies in a morgue, with axes and saws, and stuffing them with newspapers and all...
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I used to believe it was a choice but now believe that there are factors that lead to it.. while im against the lifestyle I am tolerant and accepting of those who live that way.. the biggest problem I have with these therapies is that it can lead to a lot of pressure for people to change and they may act differently but not really be changed

Yup. Those straight people and their weird lifestyle choice. I really can't understand how they live that way either. I'm tolerant of them because some of my best friends are straight, and they seem like nice enough folks. Still. I pity them because they were obviously influenced by the straight culture that surrounds them.

<3
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think there is a bigger issue than debating whether sexual orientation is constructed or biological. The point is that we live in a society where we are all different whether that be sexual orientation, class, race, ethnicity, gender, and so on. The question should be how can we have a more inclusive and equitable society.

I think this therapy and 'justification' for it reinforces the idea that there is something wrong with being gay and it should be fixed. This perpetuates stigma, discrimination and bigotry.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what "causes" being gay, straight, or bisexual. In a free society we allow and respect all kinds of individual choices when it comes to sexual partners.

Suppose I like only having sex with curvy women. Nobody would make a big deal out of it since it's a personal sexual preference. Gender is just another sexual partner preference among many.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This almost makes it sound like I'm OK with conversion therapy on an individual basis for adults- I am not. Just the fact that it exists is toxic, and will always be 'out there' as an 'option', indirectly hurting kids.
    That's pretty much true for any psychotherapy--just the fact that it exists is toxic. Basically, it is a statement to all the psychopaths, sociopaths, and psychotics -- there is something wrong with you.

Extremely judgmental.

Way to compare gayness to sociopathy and to stigmatize mental illness. You truly are an exemplary human being. :noway:
    Thanks for the compliment, but it may be undeserved--I did not mean to stigmatize anything.

By equating mental illness with homosexuality I tried to convey the exact opposite - that it is OK to be a gay or a psychotic. Psychotherapy fundamentally implies there is something wrong with mental illness and it too can - directly and indirectly - hurt kids by telling them there is something "wrong" with them.

We live in a society that is a lot more tolerant an inclusive than we were 50 or 100 years ago. But there is still a lot of work ahead!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think we all end up somewhere on a spectrum of totally straight to totally gay with some of us landing square in the middle, some leaning one way or the other only mildly etc... I do believe our social experiences and pressures lead us more in one direction or another though.

Couldn't have said it better but I'll try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale

I do believe in the Kinsey scale, where you're either completely heterosexual or homosexual or somewhere in between. I think that if you're born at X number on the scale, throughout your life, certain things could push you back or forth slightly (and I emphasize slightly) on the scale, or at least push you back or forth to how you behave sexually (some people will never act on those feelings) or feel sexually. But only slightly. Not certainly enough to change a gay person to a straight person or vice versa. Just affects your decision as to what choices you make.

I don't think you can change nature, but you can change behavior and how it is expressed.

I am a straight female, but I would say that I appreciate the female body and in the right situation with the right woman, I most likely wouldn't be opposed to some kissing or something. I however, know I am not bisexual - I could never go further than that with a woman. I grew up in a very gay tolerant area, was exposed to gay people, watch media with gay characters, so to me, this isn't terribly weird. BUT if I had grown up in a less tolerant area, I am sure that I wouldn't ever express these feelings or think about acting on them.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. I disapprove of my obese friend overeating fast food and staying inactive, just like I disapprove of much of my family smoking.

The key here is that the things I disapprove of, their way of living? It's harmful.

Funny how the only thing that says homosexuality is "harmful" is a vague and not universally interpreted few verses in a multiple millenia year old book.
    That makes perfect sense.

Just to make sure that I understand, you would not disapprove of necrophilia, would you? Surely you won't argue that there is any harm done to the dead body! My God, it can't possibly be worse than the horrible things they do to the dead bodies in a morgue, with axes and saws, and stuffing them with newspapers and all...

Even though I know you're joking, to anyone else reading (SINCE APPARENTLY, SPEAKING OF DEATH, THIS THREAD HAS BEEN RESURRECTED), necrophilia would obviously be an issue of consent... even if said party is, er, unable to give consent anymore.