WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We've been visiting my daughter since Thanksgiving, and are supposed to leave today to travel to my son's wedding. We're not styaing in the house, but at a local hotel. Last night DH started throwing up. I had a nasty stomach ailment about a week ago, and I fear he's caught it. I hope we really will be able to leave. I wouldn't have been able to do ANYTHING for two days. Put us in your prayers, please.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to everyone,

Pouring cats and dogs, and even horses today....sigh. Yet it is so warm, and the walk is calling. Glad to catch up with you all, it takes me a long while to read all the posts.

Have hit my first major goal, getting under a big number! yes!

Does anyone adjust their thinking about weight loss per week if they are exercising hard and building muscle too? How do you account for it versus your expectation of a weight loss per week. I have done some inch measurements, and my favourite and long awaited loss was on those bat wings attached to my upper arm! Let me know how you see this....

Have a clean and wonderful day! BJ
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hey all, should have said I hit the weight that I was when 9 mo pregnant with number one son! They knew he was overdue when my weight dropped 3 pounds! that was some time ago!
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been following posts on my iPad, but have not been able to reply because...well, J'Boy, bless his heart, has buggered my computer (spilled a bowl of cereal on the keyboard) so access is limited and unstable. We shall see how things progress. One of the great things about DH is that he's an electronics technician! :happy: (Clever of me to marry him all those years ago when such a thing didn't even exist, don't you think?)

The other reason I have not posted yet is one of my December goals is to spend less time on the computer in the mornings before work, which is the time I usually chat with you all :love: . If you follow the traditional Christian church year you will know that this is the season of Advent (the four weeks before Christmas). One of the themes of Advent is preparation - not the frantic Christmas celebration preparation (which I enjoy, by the way) but a more contemplative approach. So, my early mornings are committed to that - and I have to check in with you folks on the fly as I drink my green smoothie (peanut butter & banana flavoured today).

Hang in there, folks who are struggling. Keep moving, keep smiling. Celebrate the day.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

December goals:
    New Rules of Lifting 3x a week while I am at home.
    30-60 minutes of exercise every day when I am at the parent's place for the holiday. Get DD to workout with me.
    Up at 6:15 every weekday, check into the quiet place inside me when life gets frantic.
    Make a food plan for parties and special events.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to everyone,

Pouring cats and dogs, and even horses today....sigh. Yet it is so warm, and the walk is calling. Glad to catch up with you all, it takes me a long while to read all the posts.

Have hit my first major goal, getting under a big number! yes!

Does anyone adjust their thinking about weight loss per week if they are exercising hard and building muscle too? How do you account for it versus your expectation of a weight loss per week. I have done some inch measurements, and my favourite and long awaited loss was on those bat wings attached to my upper arm! Let me know how you see this....

Have a clean and wonderful day! BJ

Congratulations on both the milestone and the inches! What was your secret for losing the &*^%* batwings?
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options

My last weigh in I achieved "driver's license weight". LOL:laugh: Since it is not renewed for five years I have seen my weight fluctuate and to reach it was an accomplishment. Having said that I was honest with that weight when I renewed three years ago. Needless to say I have more weight to lose.....:ohwell:

I had an even weirder NSV -- when I renewed my license, I gave a weight 10 pounds too high, half-thinking it was aspirational because it had been my goal for so long!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies,

This group is really growing by leaps and bounds! Welcome to all the newcomers!:flowerforyou: I have found this is def the best place to come for encouragement and support!:heart:

Well, I didn't get to the pool yesterday but did get a walk in and best food choices in quite awhile! Off to physical therapy for a new evaluation in just a few. New plan is continue working on calf strain, as well as adding foot (hammertoe surgery done in July) and addressing neck and shoulder pain. Yes, I'm a mess but optimistic since I have a good therapist! Aim to hit the pool right after therapy even if it's just to stretch and walk a little.

Have a blessed day!

Kathy:drinker: :drinker:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Tuesday Morning,

Amanda-glad you had a good visit with your daughter, but sorry you slipped and are now on pain killers:sad: Just glad your slip is the smaller Amanda, I'm sure if you'd had your slip before your weight loss it would have been a lot worse. Hoping your Dad's tests go well and nothing serious shows up.

LinC- you get to buy dolls:love: I was hoping that one of my grandchildren would be a girl so I could do that...but so far just three grandsons and we know about trucks and superheros:wink: Those new tops & pants will be fitting the way you want them to in no time.

Carolyn- hoping you will find a class to replace your Jazzercise class soon. I know I'm a creature of habit too. I loved that you have achieved Driver's License Weight....we too get to keep ours for 5 yrs and this past Sept when we renewed we did it on line so all the information stayed the same with the same picture...and my license weight is high by #7 but I figure no one really looks at it anyway:wink:

Katla- praying for you and hubby that the flu doesn't get any worse and you are able to travel.:flowerforyou:

BJ-as I was losing I made a lot of mini goals with pounds lost, how close to healthy BMI, changes in clothes and sizes, getting into things in my closet, amount of exercise I was able to do per week, how many inches lost so I was always hitting some kind of goal that kept me going and now that I'm maintaining I'm still doing it with other things. Taking it slow and steady is the way to lose it forever:drinker:

Nancy- I really need to take a page out of your book...your goals sound so much better than my generic ones:ohwell:

kathy-glad to see you are still being optimistic in spite of your aches & pains:flowerforyou:

Barbie- so glad that the company is sending you a new bike with no hassle I know how much you are missing getting in that ride:drinker:

Welcome to all the newbies, jump right in and let us get to know you...come back often:flowerforyou:
    Hubby started his new job yesterday and said he's sure to love it once he knows it, but will miss being behind the gun counter where he can talk about what he enjoys talking about...but for full time weekdays with benifits it's worth it. He's taking a class tonight so I'm thinking I will be dipping my holiday chocolates tonight when he's not there to see it.:wink: He still hasn't seen the dish with the fudge so that's a good thing.

I've been doing a bit of cardio lately and am thinking I will be having to mix up my exercise although it was good to do the 30 DS and it really kept me on track with cardio and weights. Barbie, Amanda and several others are so good at what their exercise routine is...I just haven't gotten there yet...hoping it's soon:wink:

I best get moving lots to do. Everyone have a great day...remember to drink your water and if you have a problem drinking cold water try a cup of hot water, log your food and let's keep moving:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    All is looking good in here was here early early this morning. Is anyone in here on a no wheat diet. Apparently you can lose a lot of belly fat doing this. I think I might give it a try. But need to find alternatives in what to eat. Not to many cereals with no wheat other than oatmeal and cornflakes.

That was the talk at coffee this morning. So I might look into it. Take it one day at a time.

Keep doing what your doing still no negative talk in here so all is good.

Linda
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

@Linda - I have the book "Wheat Belly". I think there is something to that approach.

I had gained additional weight from my starting weight of 176 Oct 2009. The scale said this morning I lost 4 of those. I know it's likely all fluid, but nonetheless. I will take it.

I am back to the veggies and protein, plus some fruit.

Rebel
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dreary, drizzly day here in Connecticut. At least it's not snow:noway:

One of my goals is to try and post everyday, already struggling with that today. Got through first of the month and Monday here at work. Statements almost all out & bills paid. Now it's time for a little MFP.

I didn't get in til about 9 last night, went home to grad a quick bite, then went grocery shopping & then off to give my arthritic horse her meds and spend a few quality minutes hugging/talking to her. She was diagnosed a few years ago and has been through a few bouts of pain, trying some meds this time to ease her pain. It has been almost 2 weeks and still trying to find a good dosage for her. She is 33 and still talks to me when I see her and is still interested in food, although she can be a witch to other horses, but at her age she is allowed. At some point I know I will have to make the decision as to when to ease her suffering and say goodbye, but she hasn't given me any indication yet that it's time. But I have the feeling it may be this winter. I was with her when she came into this world and I hope to be with her when she leaves. For now I visit her every morning and night, just cherishing every minute I have with her. :cry: There I go getting emotional again, damn these hormones......

On a lighter note, I am down 1.2 lbs from yesterday!:happy: So glad I stuck with it these past few weeks even though the scale wasn't budging. My official weigh in isn't until Monday, gonna hide from that pound and hope it doesn't find me.

Back to work for me, I hope to maybe leave early and get to painting the second to last room, then hopefully I can list the house for sale!

Lynn
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just a fly by to mark my spot. Catch up with y'all later.

Robin Ritter and Bodi.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! How’s everyone feeling? I hope the holiday spirit is lifting you, not wearing you down. I’m trying to keep it up.

I wound up doing a little shopping and painting yesterday – got the second coat on one door, first on the other. Almost done with that, then it’s on to getting the decorations up. I should be done tonight. Last night was the neighborhood bunko/gift exchange. We play pokeno (a type of bingo) on that night with an ornament exchange/prize, then do the gift exchange. I came away with two ornaments, a father Christmas (which I collect) and a gilded shoe – perfect! I also got four Christmas wine goblets, which I’m giving to my sister. She really wanted them but I couldn’t figure out how to work the exchange without someone else claiming and “freezing” them, so I just took them on the third time. Her birthday is Sunday and we’re going wine tasting in the afternoon – seems kind of perfect, right?

I think I mentioned yesterday that my eating has been going to crap for the past few days, so I’m reigniting my diet dedication today with a salad for lunch. I read a bit about the DASH diet yesterday (more for inspiration than anything – I’m not really following a particular diet, just trying to make sure my eating is healthy), so I’m going to try to make sure I focus on veggies and protein. One of the ladies in our neighborhood has been battling a form of celiac’s disease and was telling me she has completely given up all grains, only eating veggies and meat. I don’t think I want to go that way completely, but I really need to dial back the carbs, again. I hate how easy it is for them to just creep into my regular eating. Gah.

Again, welcome to all the new members and old ones who are back. Love to hear your stories and comments.

Acogg, I replied to some of your posts yesterday but wanted to add something that I heard this morning while working out – Tony Horton, the P90X guy, has a range in the mid150s to 160s, and he said that’s pretty good for someone his age (a little younger than us). Depending, you should be OK at the higher range for short periods of time. When you're pushing yourself is when you grow.

Cheryl, I love the horse pictures! Your daughter is lovely, as is her new horse. You look great too!

Nursermr, today is always a good day to restart your dedication!

LizM, I hope you enjoyed your day with your DD. I hate those lingering headaches – nothing worse. More water?

SueB, isn’t it funny how something we once loved suddenly just doesn’t sit right anymore? Congratulations on the continual loss!

DeeDee, now I’m confused! I hate being woken up at night – anything after I’ve been asleep for two or more hours and I’ll stay up for the rest of the night. Last night was especially frustrating as my BIL was over playing poker with DH while I was at the party – they stayed up watching the game, complete with yelling and slamming doors until after midnight. He’s now banned from our house after I go to bed. Grr. I guess you can’t really ban the puppies, but I’m sorry they woke you up. As to the calorie thing (maybe that’s what has you confused), I’m with you. I figure my calorie count is going to go up this month regardless, but I know if I keep my calories below my burn rate (~100 calories/hour)+exercise calories) I should be OK. One thing I do in my head: I always deduct the 100 calories/hour from my burn for the “existing” calories. It keeps it a little more accurate.

Renny, your diet sounds wonderful! Keep up the healthy eating. Some of us have discussed strategies to keep the late night munchies away – keeping your hands busy seems to help.

Barbie, that’s terrific news about the bike. Now let’s just hope it’s not an on-going issue with a mechanical defect . . . Your dances sound like they’re going to be a lot of fun – and extra calorie burns from all the practice! And good for you for figuring out how to fit in the yoga – I’m a big believer in it these days lol :smile:. You’re dead on about the nutrition needs – and that’s a really good point about needing to make the first 1200 calories be high-nutrition foods before adding the frills. Thanks for that reminder!

Michele, yes, I did see the movie. I thought it was well-done. I’m generally a little leery of the sky is falling attitude, but that movie seemed to have a lot of direct evidence to back up its point. If nothing else I like supporting small local farms anyway. In researching your trivia question, I ran across this very interesting tidbit about heart rates: “In three recent studies, Dr. Lauer and his colleagues found that people whose rates fell less than 12 beats within a minute after they stopped exercising vigorously had a fourfold increased risk of dying in the next six years compared with those whose heart rates dropped by 13 or more beats.” (http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/health/maximum-heart-rate-theory-is-challenged.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm) The article is old – from 2001 – but interesting nonetheless. It’s a constant confusion to me that I work out hard yet burn hardly any calories according to my HRM, especially compared to my BB buddies. They also have much higher heart rates than me. I guess I’m just one of those lucky efficient people :smile:.

Hendrika, hi and welcome. Keep up with the strength training – muscles will do your body good! I see from your picture you’re a chef? My son is too out in CO. Add “drink water” to your list of goals and you’ll be all set! We do have problems with it (I’m the first to admit it) – I just read an article this morning that suggested keeping a glass next to your bed and drinking it down as soon as you wake up. Then follow up by keeping a glass/cup/bottle with you throughout the day (for all the usual reasons yaddayadda) :smile:.

Katla, I agree, tea is an excellent water replacement too!

Lila, congratulations on getting all that decorating and shopping done! Wow, you have all your presents already bought? That’s terrific! I love your NSV – that’s so special, to have changed so much you can’t even recognize yourself.

Divadonna, try not to be afraid of food. If you focus on your friends and family at the holiday gathering, you’ll be too busy to even remember where you put your drink! One trick I use – most people gather in the kitchen around the food, but I try to stay on the outskirts, chatting up people away from the food. Good luck and especially keep exercising! It will help so much with everything.

Amanda, I can’t believe you’re already back from Germany – time does fly! I’m sooo sorry to hear about your slip/injury! That’s awful. I hope it heals soon. Enjoy your mayhem (here in the States we have an auto insurance commercial about mayhem – now I will forever have your friend in my mind as that guy).

Lin, congratulations to you too for getting some shopping done. It sounds like you had a fantastic time buying presents for the grandchildren – squee! I can’t wait to go shopping for my little one.

Carolyn, WOOHOO! Congratulations on making your official documents accurate lol :laugh: If you enjoyed Jazzercise, you’ll probably enjoy Zumba too. I’ve loved the classes I’ve taken although like you I don’t find the classes near my house really convenient (read: not in my basement :laugh:).

Katla, so sorry to hear about your DH’s illness. I hope it’s a quick bug he can get over and enjoy the wedding.

BJ, congratulations on meeting a major goal – doesn’t it feel wonderful! I love the feeling of knowing that’s in my rear view and rapidly disappearing into the sunset lol. Re: your question, I keep my expectations regarding my weight pretty low exactly because I know if I’m eating right and working out hard, the rest will take care of itself if it’s meant to. This week my scale stalled, for about the first time since I started in June, but I know exactly why and am not worried about it. I agree measuring inches is a sure-fire way to see improvement even if the scale isn’t showing it. Congratulations on losing the bat wings! Funny about the pregnancy weight – I just got below my max weight with DD last month, and it was a great feeling! I keep measuring my success against where I was the last time I weighed x much.

Nancy, oh no about the computer! Grr, kids! Very clever of you re: DH :smile:. I agree with you about the computer – it occurred to me yesterday when I took the day off from work to do some housework then spent the morning on the computer that I really need to step away. I’m on too many chat/support boards, and in a way it’s becoming somewhat limiting in itself. Hmmm.

Kathy, I hope the PT will find some exercises that will help you feel better!

Laura, it sounds like a positive move for DH – congrats to his new job and benefits!

LindaC, I know of several people who are on gluten-free diets (no wheat), but it’s really not recommended unless you’re suffering from a wheat allergy. Having said that, cutting out wheat carbs is a good way to cut down on belly fat, no lie. You’ll want rye more than any other type of grain, and you can find a good cereal mix at your grocery if they have a gluten free section. Ours is mixed in with the organic area.

Lynn, we don't have the dreary today, that went through yesterday afternoon - but it was so warm! I'm sorry to hear about your horse - how nice that you went to spend some quality time with her just chatting. And congratulations on the loss of weight!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

OK, now that Nancy reminded me of my sense that I’m spending too much time on the computer, I’m off! Enjoy your day, drink your water (I remind myself), and keep moving!

Cheers,

M.
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning!!

I am still wanting to overeat, so I packed lots of low-cal stuff to bring to work. If I am going to graze, it will be on some good snacks. On Sunday, I went to J.C. Penney and bought some shirts that I can wear to the gym. I don't teach today, so this afternoon, so I am hauling myself to the Rec Center and getting on a recumbent bike. I am back to drinking water. Working out today should make me drink a lot of water.

@Exermom- Thank for explaining the "Bump" strategy.

@Cheryl - Great pictures of you, your daughter, and her new horse. I love horses, but I have not ridden one in 30 years.

Have a great day!!:happy:
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow such a busy thread! I started reading yesterday, and still didn't get to the end. There is even more today. I have yet to work out commenting. I think someone said it earlier - I will have to make some notes. You are such a busy group of ladies!

Well I'm a happy bunny today because I lost 1.5lbs this week. I hope I am back to losing again as I have had several weeks of not really loosing anything - a bit disheartening, but the only thing to do is stick with it.

I have had Christmas lunch with the ladies at the golf club today - followed by prize presentations.. No, I didn't win any prizes, but the lunch was great - turkey and all the trimmings. Thankfully we had a 9 hole round in the morning so I earned most of my lunch anyway. I am just going to have a quiet evening and catch up on a few little jobs like emails and probably a bit of knitting.

Annie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

My goals for December are to be back in the forum. I have missed all of you and hope I am finally at a point where I can post again. My other goal for December is to exercise 5 times a week for 30 minutes.

Jeannie
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    hi all

M thanks for advise on the no wheat. No allergies just would like to get rid of this belly.

Congratulations to all you losers great job.

My turn is coming tops tomorrow night sure hoping for a loss. I'm working hard well not enough exercise but doing great with the food. So great that I'll have to have a bowl of cereal to bring up my calorie count for today. Pretty low.

Hope your day was a good one. Mine was.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good day.
    Spent the day with Violet-GD.
    The pt called and said keep up the home ex and check in in 2 weeks.
    Lots of new people,welcome.
    HUGS
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Boy you miss one day here and it’s so hard to catch up! I was super busy yesterday and so, so tired. We all went to bed early. I was really frustrated with DD#2 because after dinner she starts whining about “Why do I have to clean the kitchen?” “Because you have been here, sitting on your butt for the entire day, other than working 3 hours. I, on the other hand, have worked 11 hours, and now am sitting down to my second job. Your dad and sister have been gone for 10 hours. So you tell me why you are doing the kitchen.” She was bewildered and never got it. GAAAAAA off to bed!

Still nice and sunny here but changes are coming near the end of the week. I had another long day at work and just keep saying the final is next week. Woo Hoo! The students are getting plain owly!

Housegirl: welcome! Come back often

Kalolina: everyone else has probably told you, but you joined by posting!

Bjmcq: your new picture is breathtaking!

Rebel: Nice to see you again! I’m not sure where I stand on the genetically modified foods.

Jmkmomm: good job on avoiding the treats!

Barbie: another sleeping in day! I hope you feel rested soon!

Gail: I find that if I don’t drink my water, I get a little off too. Mostly tired. There is a great research study about a family practice doc who gave his elderly patients (OK I’m not that old!) and IV of about 5 liters when they came to his office complaining of tiredness. It perked them up every time!

Jen: your closet will be ready for all your new smaller clothes soon!

Jane: glad you are staying strong and on program! Sorry to hear you lost tone and have not been given the all clear yet!

Suebedew: 82! Wow that is something!

Michele: you must have worn out several ovens by now!

Colleen and walker: good goals for the month!

Kate: can I come visit too?

DeeDEe: I tweaked my goals for the month and cut 100 calories off and now for 2 days have gone over! I had been 200-300 under each day, so I’m not sure what to think!

Chardonneh: OK, I have to ask…what is that picture of ??? I know it sounds dumb, but I can’t figure it out. It vaguely looks like a dog???? It’s cute, whatever it is! And welcome!

Lin: congrats on the weight loss!

14again: you are right….baby steps baby steps!!!

Gail: great news on the weight loss!

M: I hope today you ate better and feel better! Brunch is (another!) weakness of mine!

Wessecg: of course 7 horses are not enough! 3 cats are not enough for me! Your pictures are great. Thanks for posting!

Pjweaver: omy goodness. A heart attack. Here are good wishes for a complete recovery and motivation to meet your goals.
    Be careful with your exercise and get clearance from the cardiologist!

Acogg: to find your target heart rate, subtract your age from 220. Then find 50% and 75% (some sources say 85%) of that number and that is your target heart rate. So I am 53. 220-53 = 167. So my target heart rate is 83.5-125 (or 142 if you use 85%). I know I don’t build up a sweat until I am over 130. As you can see, as you get older your target rate goes down. But if you are well conditioned you can adjust higher. I used to be a nationally ranked swimmer and exercised all my adult life, even as I put on weight up until about 2 years ago. So for me, I need a higher heart rate to get a good workout.

Hendricka: welcome. Are you wearing a chef’s top in your picture?

Carolyn: I didn’t think it was ever possible to achieve your driver’s license weight! You are my hero!

Well I have been reading and responding for over an hour, so I must go. Fish tonight for dinner. Yum!!! Everyone have a great night and welcome to all the newbies I didn’t get to. Hi and stay strong to all the rest! Take care! Meg
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I just joined myfitnesspal and found this group. I am hoping to find tips and support to help me stick with a weight loss program. I have tried everything possible and never seem to stick with anything. I have finally gotten to the point that it is effecting my health. I hate the way I look. I have gained about 60lbs in the last 2 1/2 years. I have to get it off for my healths sake if nothing else.

So please share any tips, secrets what ever to help me stick to it this time. Chocolate and ice cream are major downfalls.

I look forward to hearing from any one that can offer tips.

Thanks,
    Brenda :smile: