does milk count as water?

Options
so i know your supposed to drink alot of water every day but when i drink milk do i count that as water or do i just have to drink that much water still?

Replies

• trjolly1
    Options
    Drink Water its important
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Drink Water its important
    i still drink about 2 waterbottles of water every day but i also drink 3 glasses of milk
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Drink as much water as you can.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as water, but this article has some pretty interesting things to say about milk and hydration.

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Skimmed-milk-better-than-isotonics-for-post-sport-rehydration
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Cows drink water, water is liquid. Cows make milk. Milk is liquid.

Therefore:

Milk = Water
  • samlosesit
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as water either because it's simply not water. Tea and coffee, however, I do count as water.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would count it, but still also log it in your dairy as it contains calories. So double log it. But, it is still a liquid and still hydrating you.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Anything that hydrates you can be counted towards your water intake, so yes. Count the calories as well.
    This goes for coffee as well, and sodas etc. It has been shown that the caffeine has a negligible effect.
    Your stomach doesn't know what was mixed with the water before it got there else drinking a glass of water and eating anythng with it wouldn't hydrate you either...think about it.
  • doulanik
    Options
    I disagree with those saying it's water. Also, tea is not water. Yes, it's made of water, but tea is also a natural diuretic. Soda has water in it too, do you log that as water? No.

I was told that you are supposed to drink one ounce of water for every 2 lbs you weigh. I weight 190, so I need to drink 80 oz of water daily.

I don't think 2 water bottles a day is enough, in my opinion.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of water in food, not just beverages like coffee, pop, and milk but water in food. Do some research on water, the 8 glass a day thing is a myth.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    ... I thought milk was milk? It has calories, sodium, etc...

Water is water, everything else is whatever it is.
  • Whitebone
    Whitebone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    skim milk = mostly water...:tongue: I say count it but only if it's skim since they remove all the fat and add back water.

Any other milk is milk

Any water is water... BUT, if it's hard for you to get in the habit of drinking water and you're working to get there.. I say CHEERS! You'll get there, drinking milk is not a bad thing, good protein and it's hydrating your body. Our body need to stay hydrated and if what you drink for now is mostly milk, it's better than nothing. You'll hopefully get to the point where if you body needs more water you'll add it in your day.

You did mention you drink 2 water bottles a day, not sure how big they are, mine are 24 oz. but a couple bottles counts! Plus I realize some don't agree but water is in fruits and veggies so I say don't worry too much on focusing on what you're not doing according to others on the site!

Do what is right for you at the moment and the rest will come in time. :happy:

Therefore:

Milk = Water
    Yep, what he said! Skim cows make even more water than regular cows..:wink:

Also keep in mind, everyone that responds to a thread will most likely say something different to you, so you get to read them all and mix the responses in a hat and choose which combo you like best!:bigsmile: Because that's how we roll here on MFP:glasses:
    i do drink skim milk and they are also 24 oz water bottles
    Works for me, I wouldn't worry about it.. :smile: you're doing fine!
    The MFP police wont be knocking at your door!
    What are you talking about?!:bigsmile: They're already knocking ...on this thread... Amazing how many various opinions there are on something so simple as water.:tongue:
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    skim milk = mostly water... I say count it but only if it's skim since they remove all the fat and add back water.

Any other milk is milk

Any water is water... BUT, if it's hard for you to get in the habit of drinking water and you're working to get there.. I say CHEERS! You'll get there, drinking milk is not a bad thing, good protein and it's hydrating your body. Our body need to stay hydrated and if what you drink for now is mostly milk, it's better than nothing. You'll hopefully get to the point where if you body needs more water you'll add it in your day.

You did mention you drink 2 water bottles a day, not sure how big they are, mine are 24 oz. but a couple bottles counts! Plus I realize some don't agree but water is in fruits and veggies so I say don't worry too much on focusing on what you're not doing according to others on the site!

Do what is right for you at the moment and the rest will come in time. :happy:
    i do drink skim milk and they are also 24 oz water bottles
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope
    I hope you aren't serious. Milk is a liquid solution (a few solids) mixed with 0 to 4.5% fat and is mostly water.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't count any other drinks in my water counter, but I also dont stress about getting in the 8 glasses a day. All the other liquids you drink have water in them. I put these in with my food log. Yes, some are diuretics--so be careful of how many of these you drink. I say do what you think is best. The MFP police wont be knocking at your door!
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Water has NO calories and milk does, so no milk is not the same! :O)
  • runningfataway
    Options
    No. Pure water, is water. Sodas, juices, dairy products are liquids that contain water. You need water, Water, WATER. Pure Water!
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In my book milk counts as milk, water as water and tea as tea.....
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Therefore:

Milk = Water

This logic is amazing. :laugh: