does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Coffee and tea are also (to some extent) good for you and keep you full but those also cannot really be considered the same things as water because they dehydrate you...
    Here's a PubMed study which suggests otherwise:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I posted peer reviewed studies - not opinion. Basically milk can be counted towards your hydration.

and according to medical professionals, when monitoring patient's hydration, so do things like soup broth and even jello.
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This topic is making me thirsty! Off to have a glass of water with ice. It's a good thing I don't drink milk or I'd be stuck! (Can I count my glass of water if it has ice in it?)

If you have water with ice in it, it counts as 2 cups of water. :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope
    I hope you aren't serious. Milk is a liquid solution (a few solids) mixed with 0 to 4.5% fat and is mostly water.

What is milk without water? Powder milk. A solid.

Pretty sure no one here is 'drinking' 8 cups of dry powdered milk. :sick:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

I posted peer reviewed studies - not opinion. Basically milk can be counted towards your hydration.

and according to medical professionals, when monitoring patient's hydration, so do things like soup broth and even jello.

Very true!

Anyone that tells you milk doesn't count toward hydration is missing some very basic chemistry knowledge, plain and simple. Their opinions are not valid, since they display ignorance about how the body processes nutrients.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope
    I hope you aren't serious. Milk is a liquid solution (a few solids) mixed with 0 to 4.5% fat and is mostly water.

What is milk without water? Powder milk. A solid.
    What is water when exposed to significant heat? A gas.

Therefore, drinking water does not hydrate you because you are actually consuming a gas in an alternate physical form.

What is water when it is refrigerated below 32* F? A solid.

Therefore, drinking water does not hydrate you because you are actually consuming a solid in an alternate physical form.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite thread so far! Lots of giggles and laughs, Thanks:). Laughing is good for you, it can lower cortisol levels, increase relaxation and burns calories:)
  • slkehl
    Options

Therefore, drinking water does not hydrate you because you are actually consuming a gas in an alternate physical form.

Therefore, drinking water does not hydrate you because you are actually consuming a solid in an alternate physical form.

It actually doesn't matter what state you're consuming the water in. If you're consuming water molecules, your body is absorbing water molecules. That said, you'd have to swallow a lot of water vapor to consume the same number of water molecules as in a cup of water. And that would probably make you very gassy. But not necessarily dehydrated.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

It actually doesn't matter what state you're consuming the water in. If you're consuming water molecules, your body is absorbing water molecules. That said, you'd have to swallow a lot of water vapor to consume the same number of water molecules as in a cup of water. And that would probably make you very gassy. But not necessarily dehydrated.
    Understood and agreed. I was just extrapolating some of the silly logic found elsewhere in this thread.
  • slkehl
    Options
    ^I see. Totally went over my head lol, probably because there's been so much ridiculousness on this thread. I think it's time to call it a night!
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I know you know chem we have talked about it before. As you know the law conservation of mass, 1 molecule of H2o is 1 molecule H2o doesn't matter the state it's in. To consume 1 cup of water you have to consume x molecules of H2o. We can figure out how many molecules through dimensional analysis using the density formula, and molecular mass. I am sure you know the routine. 1 cup of h2o in gas form has the same molecules of 1 cup of h2o in liquid form.

When you consume H2o(g) it will be mixed with environmental gases so... yes you would need more volume to consume, but the amount of H2O you're taking in is the same. I know you know this, just saying it for other people, what you said could be misinterpreted.

I don't know how you ended up discussing chemistry in this thread, but my nerdy self urgently needs to chip in: 1 cup of water does NOT have the same molecules with 1 cup of gas water simply because their densities are different. Or if we just use some common sense which is the best way (imo) to do any kind of science, if you hold up one cup of gas (let's say it's closed so that it doesn't escape) and one cup of water you'll obviously notice that the (liquid) water is heavier. The reason simply being that it contains more water molecules...

Edited to add: I kind of hate myself for making another correction, but dimensional analysis could NEVER give you the number of molecules, simply because the number of molecules is dimensionless...
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options

And let's not forget saline solution and banana bags.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    how the hell did this end up with us talking about the proper way to drink pee?

Blame the person who failed reading comprehension.

That post was meant to be humorous. We need a snark font.
    Yeah, I caught it. ;) I was just giving them grief.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Wait, people on here track their WATER intake? Wut? :huh:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Are you for realz??
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    If we're going to be technical, nobody should be logging it if they're drinking anything but distilled water. Tap/bottled water has dissolved solids, minerals, chemicals and other, y'know...."stuff" in it, so it's not really water - just like Mio, Crystal Light, iced tea, soda, coffee, milk, etc. don't count as water because they have "stuff" added to them.

Hey, we might as well take the idea to its logical conclusion....
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    seriously?!!!!!! LOL
  • Barrett147
    Options
    The human body, which is made up of between 55 and 75 percent water,
    Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your
    body to carry on normal functions....
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Pu_239, I'll reply here for now, but if the discussion continues, perhaps it's better to exchange some PMs. I'm not trying to show off or annoy you, I just felt the need to clarify a couple things you said and were wrong.
    Water has one density, the density doesn't change dependent on state.
    That's simply wrong. The density of any material is not carved in stone - it depends on temperature and pressure. Especially for gases, this dependence is critical (remember the ideal gases law, PV=nRT? n/V is practically the density)
    Now for liquids and solids, this dependence is much weaker and for most everyday applications you can use e.g. for water the value of 1kg/m^3. But it's not a constant. Water in gas form will have a very different density.
    The cup example is there are "less molecules" in the gas cup. If ther was the same molecules as the liquid cup then it would way the same. I think you're confused, I never said 1 cup of gas. It will be a lot more.
    Actually what you said in your previous post was
    I know you know chem we have talked about it before. As you know the law conservation of mass, 1 molecule of H2o is 1 molecule H2o doesn't matter the state it's in. To consume 1 cup of water you have to consume x molecules of H2o. We can figure out how many molecules through dimensional analysis using the density formula, and molecular mass. I am sure you know the routine. 1 cup of h2o in gas form has the same molecules of 1 cup of h2o in liquid form.
    That last sentence I put in bold is wrong. This is what my earlier comment was about.
    so here is your dimensional analysis

1cup (236.588mL/1cup)(1g/1 mL )(1mol /18.0153g)(6.022*10^23molecules/1mole) = 7.60846e24 molecules of H2O in 1 cup

or 7,608,460,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of H2O per 1 cup of water.
    I see why you misinterpreted my comment. What you wrote is absolutely correct but it's not "dimensional analysis". It's just the application of a couple simple formulas & definitions. If you're interested, take a look at this to see what dimensional analysis is
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis

I hope this clarifies everything. Again, let me repeat I'm not trying to show off or annoy you. I enjoy good scientific discussions and that's why I commented in the first place.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Water has one density, the density doesn't change dependent on state. The cup example is there are "less molecules" in the gas cup. If ther was the same molecules as the liquid cup then it would way the same. I think you're confused....

Quoted for the Lolz.

1 density?
    My 10 years old knows better.

Here is the question. Why does ice float?