The Biggest Loser, the worst show on TV

Options

Replies

• medaud10
    Options
    I disagree. Weight loss is mental control. Nobody but you puts food into your mouth and nobody but you sits on the couch too lazy to get up and move a little.

Biggest Loser has motivated me. If they lose for whatever reason they do it for, I can do it. I have lost over 55 pounds this past year and a half and keeping it off thanks to the mental help fitness pal gives. Fitness pal doesn't measure or track my food unless I put it in and fitness pal doesn't get up at 545 in the morning to workout, I have to do it. Fitness pal just provides the positive or cautionary feedback. That is what biggest loser does for those people. It gets them into a position or state of mind where they know they can do it themselves and in their doing it encourage millions of others.

Over eating is a lack of mental control. Under exercising is a lack of mental control (in most cases). I have severe arthritis, am almost 60, and work full time. I just decided one day I was going to get healthy. I pushed aside the discouragement I felt with being over 200# and the pain from that pressure on my knees and started making the right choices. I now weight around 145 pounds, work out 5 days a week on the eliptical, and make mostly healthy choices in the foods I eat. I get myself addicted to diet cokes, feel bad, and then DECIDE to stop drinking those drinks that make my joints hurt more and makes me feel bloated all the time. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and Biggest Loser helps them do that.
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think its a good show from what I have seen yet I think they lose it unhealthy not healthy! Who loses that much weight without starvation?? only bypass people lol. Well Ill stick with my mini loses I will keep it off longer plus I am learning a new life style.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    . It's easier pass judgement on something that you can't relate to and also very ignorant. :smile:

but that is the OP's specialty

...that's cute...cuz the OP must've been born with abs and hasn't had to work hard at all....never had a weight problem, or so you assume. *rolls eyes* Who's the ignorant one here?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Love the biggest loser. And think the original poster and those that agree with him are completely missing what is important. These people are getting healthy. Who are ya'll to judge these people? Losing weight is very hard especially if you grew up overweight with a history of bad habits. Saying they should of done this or that sounds like someone who has never been significantly overweight. I am shocked that some attack these people for wanting to lose weight. They are working their *kitten* off. They aren't taking pills. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the show is a controlled environment but modest results can be reached achieved with similar hard work. Wow. Talk about missing the big picture!!!

Wanting =/= Doing. It's the difference between successful people and failures
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Jillian is lurking at the bottom of this page .....and she looks pissed!!!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    . It's easier pass judgement on something that you can't relate to and also very ignorant. :smile:

but that is the OP's specialty

...that's cute...cuz the OP must've been born with abs and hasn't had to work hard at all....never had a weight problem, or so you assume. *rolls eyes* Who's the ignorant one here?

Oooooh you know it's like MFP standard that you're barely allowed to offer advice and/or an opinion if you're fit. You don't count anymore.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Note - MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE, DEHUMANIZATION AND EATING DISORDERS - http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Wow. Read the whole thing.... THAT is truly sad and terrible. I'm glad she's coming out and saying that their methods are unhealthy and you shouldn't expect to get those kinds of results without seriously damaging your health.

I would have originally agreed entirely with the OP, but also added "you take away what you choose to from it" ... as far as seeing people motivated to make a change and working hard, pushing themselves in their workouts. But if the article above is true, the behind the scenes truths are inexcusable and I don't think I could take anything positive from it anymore...
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love biggest loser. :tongue:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I do not watch much tv but I just think it's amazing how much weight these people lose. Who cares why they're doing it or why they didn't do it before? Good for them for getting healthier and I hope they keep the weight off.

Wrong. They dehydrate before every weigh in, work out in as much clothing as possible when the cameras are off, and after the finale, almost all of the contestants gain 10-20 pounds in water weight because they weighed in SO dehydrated. Season 1 winner dehydrated to the point where he pissed blood for the final weigh in.

Yeah, show us that.... We need to see real plateaus, real struggle, real breakthroughs.

This last season, there was a week where most of the black team didn't lose or gained weight for the week so they could vote off the returning do it from home chick.. I thought how could they have eaten when the place isn't packed with ****ty food? The answer, they simply didn't dehydrate themselves for their weigh in.

What the $&^*(^&*%

....how would you possibly know about this pissing blood and such??? seriously....I am curious?? Do you watch the show? You clearly follow it - but for what reason, work? Honestly, super curious...
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I did not read the pages of comments because...well I dont feel like getting annoyed. All I came to say was, there are ups and downs to the show. It draws attention to the obesity problem in America, it encourages people on and off the show to better their health, and overall sends some good messages about fitness. However, on the flip side, it's also people who work out for 12 hours a day, are secluded and not living their normal life while they are losing weight, and allt he people are expected to lose insane numbers every week that can discourage people int he real world who lose 1lb a week instead of you know, like 8lbs a week. Additionally, many of the people on the show gain the weight, or a good portion of it, back once they are back to normal living and eating. Where I used to work one of the recent winners Michael Ventrella and his mom Maria (who were both on the show but Mike won his season) worked out and he eventually started teaching classes...he's gained a lot of his weight back but now is living a more fitness based life. He's also incredibly full of himself and was a jerk! I don't want the show anymore so when he came in and I was working the front desk I wouldn't let him in without checking him in properly and I got the "Do you know who I am?" speech...

So in all, is it the "worst" show on TV? No, I wouldn't say that. There are still benefits to it. Besides, if you've watched TLC lately you know there's worse TV out there.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters, but I will disagree with your post.
    Not that it is not just another crappy tv show, maybe it is to some degree. I agree It is totally plugged with corporate sponsors, that is annoying and one reason I pay for DVR :) I hate commercials in general.

However, I have worked with people with addictions for a long time. It is not easy for anyone to quit smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. I think It is just as hard for people to quit overeating once it has become a coping mechanism. Some of the people on Biggest Loser are addicts. Most cannot say "oh ya, I just need to exercise like crazy and watch what I eat" and end up with a six pack. They need rehab (biggest loser environment) where someone is watching them, pushing them and trying to keep them in line. Just like some people who are alcoholics and need rehab cannot say "Oh ya, I just need to quit drinking and my life will be back to normal" It is a process. It takes determination, it takes that power within that you don't know you have. The treatment is just slightly different. An alcoholic rehab is not going to get in your face and yell at you. They may have to medicate you, sedate you, restrain you, then tell you to dig deeper though.

To see how much exercise is required, how much you have to pay attention to what you are eating, and how much determination it takes is a real eye opener for those watching the show. We live in a society where everything is at our fingertips. Many people diet and try to exercise and give up because 'it didnt work for me', because the pounds didnt just fall off. I think this show really shows how hard you would have to work in order to lose that many pounds in such a small amount of time.

But, whatever, it is just another stupid reality show. It is on one of hundreds of other channels available on cable television.
    I cannot say that watching VIctoria Secrets annual show is any better, and it is definitely just as unrealistic as any crappy reality show like the biggest loser. You can't tell me they all keep those bods eating the right amount of food, making healthy food choices and not over exercising.

Just sayin'

Awesome ^^^
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Some will say the show is so motivational, but what is motivational about someone who could not better themselves without dangling a huge cash prize in front of them, sequestering them in a remote location and having crappy trainers berate them while forcing them through exercise for 6-8 hrs a day? Why couldn't they find the motivation and will power to adhere to a diet and exercise program without all that? There are many stories here of people who did just that, those people should be commended and celebrated well before any Biggest Loser constant should..

Totally agree!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it......but it make me want to smack those who produce this show upside the head with a food scale everytime I see a thread here about "I only lost 30 pounds in the last 6 weeks and this is not working"
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    In ancient Rome they used to throw the Christians to the lions. Now we throw obese people to Jillian and Bob.

Cracking entertainment.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Ok I gotta say I AGREE....NOW.

But I did not agree when I was fat. I actually found the show motivating when I saw the changes made in their life by losing weight. So I decided to do it myself because all that screaming and jail and working out a million hours scared the crap outta me. I wanted to get this done before someone shipped me off to the ranch. Lol

Now I do see that the show is not what I thought before. And yep, the ads and promos bug me. But I still like to see a fat person become healthy, so I will probably watch....and yell at the trainers and stuff. Because I have nothing going on and I like a little drama that doesn't affect me at all. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters, but I will disagree with your post.
    Not that it is not just another crappy tv show, maybe it is to some degree. I agree It is totally plugged with corporate sponsors, that is annoying and one reason I pay for DVR :) I hate commercials in general.

However, I have worked with people with addictions for a long time. It is not easy for anyone to quit smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. I think It is just as hard for people to quit overeating once it has become a coping mechanism. Some of the people on Biggest Loser are addicts. Most cannot say "oh ya, I just need to exercise like crazy and watch what I eat" and end up with a six pack. They need rehab (biggest loser environment) where someone is watching them, pushing them and trying to keep them in line. Just like some people who are alcoholics and need rehab cannot say "Oh ya, I just need to quit drinking and my life will be back to normal" It is a process. It takes determination, it takes that power within that you don't know you have. The treatment is just slightly different. An alcoholic rehab is not going to get in your face and yell at you. They may have to medicate you, sedate you, restrain you, then tell you to dig deeper though.

Very true... I see a lot of people struggle with binge eating, emotional eating, etc and it certainly isn't just a matter of "they didn't care". You're still choosing the action and you're still responsible, yes, but a disordered relationship with food (no matter which way it falls) can be extremely difficult to deal with. Alcoholics can avoid liquor and live, once they've recovered. You can't avoid food, you are forced to deal with whatever issues you have with it daily until you can build a healthier relationship.

So... yes, I get a little irritated when I see people say "Just don't eat so much lol" ... it's not always that easy for some people (not that OP said this, but I do see it said).
  • am06or
    am06or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some will say the show is so motivational, but what is motivational about someone who could not better themselves without dangling a huge cash prize in front of them, sequestering them in a remote location and having crappy trainers berate them while forcing them through exercise for 6-8 hrs a day? Why couldn't they find the motivation and will power to adhere to a diet and exercise program without all that? There are many stories here of people who did just that, those people should be commended and celebrated well before any Biggest Loser constant should..

Totally agree!!!

Exactly... lock anyone up in a gym with a doctor, nutritionist, personal trainers and nothing but healthy food to eat for 3-4 months and say if you do it I'll give you a ton of cash... ANYONE would lose weight. It is completely unrealistic, not to mention when the real world kicks backs in...
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I do not watch much tv but I just think it's amazing how much weight these people lose. Who cares why they're doing it or why they didn't do it before? Good for them for getting healthier and I hope they keep the weight off.

Wrong. They dehydrate before every weigh in, work out in as much clothing as possible when the cameras are off, and after the finale, almost all of the contestants gain 10-20 pounds in water weight because they weighed in SO dehydrated. Season 1 winner dehydrated to the point where he pissed blood for the final weigh in.

Yeah, show us that.... We need to see real plateaus, real struggle, real breakthroughs.

This last season, there was a week where most of the black team didn't lose or gained weight for the week so they could vote off the returning do it from home chick.. I thought how could they have eaten when the place isn't packed with ****ty food? The answer, they simply didn't dehydrate themselves for their weigh in.

What the $&^*(^&*%

....how would you possibly know about this pissing blood and such??? seriously....I am curious?? Do you watch the show? You clearly follow it - but for what reason, work? Honestly, super curious...

If you do a couple google searches for "The Truth Biggest Loser" you will find the season 1 winner's blog, blurbs here and there about why Caroline Rhea left the show, Season 3's Kai Hibbard, and many many more stories out there that have slipped by the NBC censors.

I loved the show, and tried to emulate them. They were losing SO much weight each week, and I knew that I couldn't duplicate their success, I knew they were working out 6-8 hours a day - But I didn't know they got around the dehydrating issue. As you lose fat your body holds onto more water until it whooshes, it's called dieter's edema.

There's a reason why the trainer from season 3 never came back or the two new trainers from season 11 never came back. When someone sees what goes on behind the scenes...

I really thought there was something wrong with me, If the guys there could lose ten pounds a week, SURELY I could lose ONE.. but a week isn't a week, they weigh every ten days, two weeks. Sometimes its shorter.. They dehydrate to get around water retention, They eat no more than a thousand calories a day, most of it rabbit food.

I mean you can find all this info doing a google search, I'm just a guy from his home wondering why it's not working!

"Let's see, insert peg A into slot B and-OH SCREW IT JUST PRESS BUTTONS!!"
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What has always bothered me about the show is the way they take people who are so overweight and throw them right into hard exercises. The one i always remember and it had to be an early season because i have not watched in years was first off they have them running down the beach. Running in sand and it was not hard packed..they were slipping and falling. Who would want to ever run again after that experience.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I think the Biggest Loser paints a picture for America that it's EASY to lose 30 pounds in a week. And then when they start a diet/exercise program and they lose 1-2 pounds their first week they wonder "what's wrong with me?" and freak out and come on here whining. What people don't realize is these contestants workout HOURS a day and eat exactly what they give them. Daily normal life isn't like that. People have jobs, carpool, and other responsibilities to deal with and they don't have the time or dedication to lose that kind of weight.

I DVR'd the Victoria Secret Fashion Show and I fully intent on watching it tonight. I also know the dedication, time and effort it takes to look like these models. I'm their height (2x their age and probably 25 more pounds on average than even the heaviest one), but that doesn't mean that I grew up thinking I should be like them. I enjoy beer, carbs and fried food way too much to invest that much time in to looking "perfect". These shows (and Miss America/Pagent Shows) are entertainment. Like Biggest Loser - that's all they should be.