Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Lauren, don't overdo it. Slow weight loss is more permanent. It sounds like you are doing well. Be honest with your calorie counting and food journal. The exercise is important, but most efforts at weight loss are won or lost in the kitchen. You didn't get that heavy overnight. It can take some time to take it off, too.

My Wed. wish is to be able to get more sleep. Sleep has been a huge issue for me for several years, and this hasn't helped. I am taking a narcotic level drug at bedtime, but it only helps marginally.

My thoughts are with those of you who are struggling with family and health issues. I hope that all goes well or improves.
    Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    You guys and gals have any ideas of what I should do to help me lose weight. I am on a calorie counting diet, walk daily, and do zumba.. But I'M worried its not enough. Anything will help. Thanks. Lauren

If you aren't already doing so, make sure you weigh all of your food portions so you know the calories consumed are accurate. It really made a big difference for me.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I hope everyone is having a good hump day. My day has been ok. Husband came home early to fix the sink so we got to spend the afternoon together which I needed after yesterday. Then just I was getting ready to start dinner my daughter ups and announces she is going to take me and her dad out to eat which was very nice. We went to Red robin and the food was pretty good but I need to learn to check the calories before we go. Who knew a chicken salad could be over 900 calories. Thank goodness I hadnt eaten much through the day. I think my wish for this wednesday is that everyone else gets everything they wish for since for once I am doing fairly well :). Have a great night all.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

The work week has started out week so far.

Wednesday wish that I be able to be 20 lbs lighter by Christmas.

Really working hard at sticking to exercising in mornings seems to help with rest of the day.

I am totally in for the new goal. Good idea @Robin.

@Robin sorry to hear about your fall.

Wishing everyone a good night.

Liz
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump

Sorry I have been missing for so long. I am still plugging along on weight loss. How is everyone? I miss you all~
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My Wednesday Wish: And how I need it now. See I just found out that my 8yr old niece has been contemplating suicide. Yes, I said my 8yr old niece. I am still numb from finding this information out. My niece is admitted to the hospital and they are I suppose taking the steps to get her better. I just don't understand. I'm so confused. Either way my wish is that my niece not feel the way she is and that she feels the love all around her from her sister and mother and family. I just can't imagine what could make this sweet little girl who is only 8 have these feelings. I know she has been through a lot in the past couple of years but I still don't understand. And I don't know what to do. So I will try to check in but my mind is just not here right now.

Tina

I am so sorry to hear this is going on! I hope everything is going to be OK. This seems to be happening all to often now. I just watched an HBO Documentary of a boy who had been contemplating suicide since he was about 5. It was very eye opening to see. Again my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Skinny - I read your post with interest - and sympathy! Your MIL does sound like she's overly worried about your hubby and his mental health. And from how you described him, he's a normal homebody like 500,000 other husbands out there who don't care a great deal about socializing. I can empathize with her a wee bit because one of her sons did slip under the radar and have bipolar illness and so she wants to be thorough and check out her other son but you'll have to be vigilant and help deflect ALL of her misguided efforts to push him into her categorizing. When she brings it up, I'd address the subject face to face in private, the two of you, if you have the opportunity. Tell you you are aware of what to look for, and that you will be vigilant, but that she has absolutely NOTHING to be worried about with your hubby and she can relax.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and words about my niece.

Just so you know it's something very serious. She is not allowed to go back to school until she talks to someone professional. Come to find out an incident that occurred her and her older sister who is 11 were arguing and Hannah the 8yr took a knife to her stomach and was threatening to do something, my older niece harley said that hannah was scaring her so hannah stopped. Hannah said she was kidding which is why Harley never said anything. But after having the class about suiced and signs of it she went to the counselor. And Hannah admitted to having planned out and knowing what she was going to do and explained it. But she said she never did it because it would hurt her mom and sister. She understands, she has lost 2 important people in her life. Either way she is the one that wanted to stay at the hospital because she is tired of feeling this way. She wants the help.
    Again still feeling numb and hard to know how to feel but if she is home this weekend I am going to stay with my sister.

Thank you everyone.

Tina

Tina- Thanks for sharing your information with us. This is very serious like you said I pray that the hospitial has the right staff in place to reach her and helper with struggles in life she is having right now. My prayers go out to you and your family stay strong and positive this is something that can be treated and changed.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thursday's truth:

I decided not to share because I will just sound like a big ole B.

Hope everyone is having a great day and meets the goals they have. I have taken a walk everyday and got my 8 glasses of water in for the last 2 days.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Karen~I’m sorry for the continued drama with your MIL, it really sounds like your hubs needs to have a talk with her. Not sure how he can do that without her taking it wrong though; he just needs to explain to her that he understands her concerns because of his brother’s dx but that doesn’t mean that he has the same tendencies. He actually sounds like a lot of men, they are just into their own circle of friends and socialize occasionally. Geez, I’m like that – I socialize occasionally with friends but pretty much like being in my house doing my thing. You ask me – it’s perfectly normal! :bigsmile:

@Lauren~The biggest favor you can yourself is be honest – write down every bite, lick, and taste. Like Kaye said, losing weight at a slower pace (1-2# per week) results in more permanent weight loss. We didn’t gain the weight overnight & while we’d like to lose it overnight we can’t – just be patient and be consistent, you’re on the right track. Just keep on keeping on.

@JConst~Red Robin is one of those restaurants I have learned I have to avoid – just have never found anything remotely on plan there.

@Tina~I am so sorry for the struggles your young niece is experiencing. I’m so glad that you are there for your sister and that your niece is getting and receiving the help she needs, the fact that she has reached out is a great first step. I will continue to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Such a hard thing to imagine at such a young age.

Thursday Truth~One of the trainers at the gym came up to me last night and told me I looked great and was doing amazing – apparently my trainer shared me as a “success story” in one of their team meetings this week. I’m not very good at taking compliments, but that sure felt good to hear – and somehow helped me have a harder workout than I had planned. :blushing: Truth is, other than my fatigue from the endocrine issues and insomnia, I feel great – it just feels amazing to be running again!

Workouts this week:

Monday~Active rest day DONE!
    Tuesday~Run DONE!
    Wednesday~Cross Trainer DONE!
    Thursday~Training session
    Friday~Yoga (I think)
    Saturday~Long run outside
    Sunday~Training session

Have a great Pre-Friday!

:heart: Kelley :heart:
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: With everything that has been going on with my family, from my sister to my niece things have just been so crazy and stressful. I haven't logged food in over a week I think. And it seems I have been eating and going for sweets even when I'm not hungry and don't want them...they are just there so I eat them. This has to stop. I am working on it.

I am thankful for all the thoughts and prayers in regards to my niece. I think this is going to be a long process of trying to help her and get her better. My sister went to visit her last night and she was still saying she doesn't want to live. I just don't understand. But she is going in the right direction and getting the help she needs. I am SO thankful that her older sister went to the counselor and expressed her concern and worry. Who knows what would've happened if she hadn't. But I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. Thank you all.

Tina
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Stayed on track and under goal yestrerday. First sucess in a while and hope it continues
  • ChristelLD
    Options
    Hi! I just joined MFP yesterday and was going through the community board. I saw this post and started to read some of the posts here. I was wondering if it would be ok to join your group? I really could use the support and friendships! ..Thank you
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined MFP yesterday and was going through the community board. I saw this post and started to read some of the posts here. I was wondering if it would be ok to join your group? I really could use the support and friendships! ..Thank you

Christell - welcome and sure you can join! Best advice I can give you is to post daily and do NOT give up when you go over calories - don't feel that is failure. Its a learning curve and it takes quite a while to learn to control your eating behaviors. So stick with it through thick and thin.
  • ChristelLD
    Options
    Thank you! I will do my best to post daily. Monday- Friday will be the easiest, weekends...not so much. I look forward to getting to know you all, seems like a very supportive group! Thanks again!! See you tomorrow :smile:
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You guys and gals have any ideas of what I should do to help me lose weight. I am on a calorie counting diet, walk daily, and do zumba.. But I'M worried its not enough. Anything will help. Thanks. Lauren

After years and years of yo-yo dieting, I've finally come to accept it takes patience and time. This is probably the hardest lesson I've had to learn and I truly hate it, but I'm trying to embrance these changes. I don't refer to this as a diet, but this is my life going forward. I need to eat like this every day. I need to do some kind of movement/exercise every day. I need to drink plenty of water. I need to get more fruits/veggies in my day. Finally, for whatever reason, I'm on the right path. I just got my note for logging 125 days. I truly think being accountable and writing every single morsel down has made the big difference. Making friends on MFP and having them support me has been HUGE too. Now I'm also human and have had birthdays, parties, adult beverages, etc. . . this is not going to change. I've just learned to adjust my days. Even today is our department Christmas dinner at an Italian place. I'm only eating about 500 throughout the day and saving 1,000 for dinner. You didn't gain it overnight and you're not going to lose it overnight either. Just take one day at a time.
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thank you! I will do my best to post daily. Monday- Friday will be the easiest, weekends...not so much. I look forward to getting to know you all, seems like a very supportive group! Thanks again!! See you tomorrow :smile:

Welcome Christie!! If you go to the first page, Robin has listed the basics of the board. Each day we have something to write about or we write whatever. You've found an amazing group of people who are so supportive. Gentle nudges if you need them, but no negativity and just positive people. Because we're human and life still happens we have our ups and downs, but people are free to share and listen. Best of luck and YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thursday Truth~One of the trainers at the gym came up to me last night and told me I looked great and was doing amazing – apparently my trainer shared me as a “success story” in one of their team meetings this week. I’m not very good at taking compliments, but that sure felt good to hear – and somehow helped me have a harder workout than I had planned. :blushing: Truth is, other than my fatigue from the endocrine issues and insomnia, I feel great – it just feels amazing to be running again!

Kelley - I love this for you!!! You have worked so hard and deserve every single kudos. It's those comments that boost our morale and make us want to work even harder. You've been such an inspiration to me and I'm so glad to be following your journey. I'm back in Atlanta next week and haven't seen many of those folks since June. I'll be 40 lbs lighter and it feels great!!!
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @LMackbethi -- Congrats on the job! Yes, that little lad will keep you active.
    @Karen -- what mine did was show, say, 112 in the running sections on average, rising quickly to 140 when I stopped to look at it! So I knew there was something up. I could compare heart rate to pace -- if the heart rate went down when I was running faster, it had to be skipping beats. Also, on the house -- that's one room sorted... but we have eight... Ah, Christmas with the in-laws. Good luck having the strength not to lose patience with your MIL.
    @Susan -- so sad to hear your story about your friend. And congrats on 125 -- I think you've been logging for just a day longer than me.
    @Tina -- oh, I am glad your niece is getting the help that she needs. That does sound very scary. Do try to log your food, and maybe squeeze in the odd walk; they're so great for clearing your head and thinking through stuff.
    @Vicki -- hope you're feeling better soon.
    @Lauren -- if you're keeping your calories in balance, logging every day, and doing exercise nearly every day, that's enough. You just need to keep going; it's like putting one foot in front of another. You might also benefit from having more unprocessed foods and fruit and veg; keep the things out of packets and restaurants as sometimes foods. And don't guess calories unless there's no alternative.
    @Katrena -- well done on keeping on track!
    @Kelley -- Congratulations on being a success story! That's so awesome.
    @Christe -- welcome! It's not the kind of group that has rules (apart from 'be excellent to each other...') so don't fret if you can't post every day.

Thursday truth -- no awful sins to confess this week (apart from a dairy *full* of junk food, see I don't take my own advice at all...), but I am going to have to knuckle down seriously to computer science tomorrow and finish the second midterm of the MIT course. Which I have not really started studying for.

Today's walk -- well, I ran down to the river (this is the Lea), and then took one of the marsh paths along to Clapton. As I was going along, someone walking his dog called me over and got me to take out my headphones. Why? Because he was concerned that I was breathing too heavily (it was an uphill bit but I do pant a lot, I confess!) and couldn't run if I was breathing that hard. I said 'oh, well, I've been running for 2 1/2 miles at this point so I think I'm ok, but thanks...' . What is it with these people? Anyway, I carried on, with a couple of quick walk breaks, and then crossed the river and ran back past my husband's old flat, and the pub that used to be our local (the Anchor & Hope in Clapton), and ended up at a cafe in Markfield Park. Over 5 miles, 80% running! And then I walked back to the tube station and went home by tube. I love the density of public transport in London; it means you can run wherever you like and not worry about getting back to your start point. Cold though, about 2 degrees above freezing and I had to watch out for icy patches on the marsh paths particularly. And then I got home, and zonked out on the sofa and watched Phineas & Ferb with the kids, and sent my husband off for takeout. Oops. But that's the long run done for this week. However, on Saturday morning we're doing a Parkrun -- regular 5k free races in parks near you every Saturday all over the world. How cool is that?

Hope you're having a fantastic day, everyone!

-- Alison
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Yay, Me! I just walked the "short loop" (1.5 miles) in 35 min. That used to be one of my favorite walks and I haven't been able walk it for few years. My goal is to be able to walk the long loop. Its about 2.5 miles. I'm sure I will be able to do that before spring.
    Thursday truth: For obvious reasons, there aren't very many people I can share this with. When my husband had his knee replacement surgery, his reaction to hospitalization and the stress made it pretty apparent to the dr. that he was in the early stages of Alzheimers. He hasn't progressed very rapidly and still does quite well. The 2 strokes that he had within 7 months took their toll as they affected his speech. He has a hard time coming up with the right words, and often says things in a strange way. Anyway, today he was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. Mind you he is a real handyman. He built one house for us and has remodeled this one several times. I had to gently guide him through the process of finding the leak, making suggestions along the way. It was really hard at times because I don't have the plumber's vocabulary to describe things, and he doesn't have the ability any more to explain things to me. I'm really glad the these kinds of situations don't come up very often. It breaks my heart. Oh, he also left the car running for well over an hour. He went to get parts and didn't turn it off when he got home. I found it when I went out to run an errand.
    I guess we all have our challenges. It helps to have a place to vent. Wed. wish is gone but I would wish for all of us the courage to face the challenges with dignity and do what we can to help others.