QUOTE:

QUOTE:

not sure if someone else mentioned it but see the documentary 'King Corn'

And 'Food Inc.'

And 'Forks over Knives'

And read 'Eating Animals'

And read 'Animal Vegetable Miracle'

That is all. Stay educated.

And you really don't see how you come across with posts like these?

Those are ALL extremely, highly biased sources with very sketchy, questionable methods and conclusions.

Animal. Vegetable. Miracle. is Biased?

What planet are you on?

The planet where Barbara Kingsolver is a co-author of that book.

So cooking with a family and having your kids contribute to recipes is a horrible way to live?

Eating locally and supporting your community is a horrible way to live.

Guess what? I've eaten as locally as possible for nearly 36 years now. I was raised on small family farm meat and that's what I stick to now. I'm healthier for it. Both my husband and me are healthy weights. I'll stick to what works for me. I'll stick to my 400 square foot garden and volunteering at a local farm.

You continue to think that a book about cooking and growing food with your family is "biased" or "wrong" or "strange" or...something.

in b4 yes mad...one could argue the statement you are a healthy weight...you seem to be farming adipose tissue.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I never said I was the only person was was good, ethical, honest or any of those things and to infer that from my post is a bit of a conceit on your part. I never said there weren't good companies out there, as there are plenty, but to say that all we hear about are the few extreme cases? I think that's naive. If Worldcom's scandal was just an isolated incident, why did it bring down a whole public accounting firm with it?

And before you think I'm some idealistic college student who's never put a foot in the real world, I'm a part time MBA/full time working stiff. So I already have, as you put, 'skin in the game'.

Good for you! Me too. Your post came off as holier than thou. Sorry, it just did. I'm not sure how my post makes me sound conceited at all - I never said I was better than anyone. And I'm definitely not naive. The Worldcom situation was awful. But it involved a handful of companies. There are literally hundreds of thousands of businesses of all sizes in the U.S. To extract one extreme example of deceit and say that it is common practice among all business, or even many businesses, is just wrong.

No, I didn't say you were conceited. I said it was a conceit on your part. An exaggerated comparison. :flowerforyou:
  • hsidky
    hsidky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Interestingly the only people who are defending the GMO companies are mostly researchers working for those companies, and from your comment I assume that you work at a company that does genetic modifications on plants. While it is admirable that you believe your ultimate goal is to benefit society, may I bring up the allegorical 'road to hell' which is paved with good intentions. Just because all you wanted to do was help someone out, this does not mean that your ultimate results will end up being beneficial.

Wow. Where do I begin with this one. So now you know the outcome of research before it's even done? That's it. You win. I'm out.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Use whatever sources you want.

Buy what you want in the store.

But don't discredit the documentaries and books that at least have made people live healthier lives.

How about Vanishing of the Bees? Biased or not it's pretty interesting and probably the best work on GMOs I've yet seen.

The folks on here that have gotten all cranky about my responses probably just looking to stir up trouble. If you've seen Vanishing of the Bees I'd love to have an intelligent conversation about it. Or, just take an easy route and buy some seeds from www.rareseeds.com (it's a really cool seed company). Grow some of your own food and stop picking on people you don't know.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Interestingly the only people who are defending the GMO companies are mostly researchers working for those companies, and from your comment I assume that you work at a company that does genetic modifications on plants. While it is admirable that you believe your ultimate goal is to benefit society, may I bring up the allegorical 'road to hell' which is paved with good intentions. Just because all you wanted to do was help someone out, this does not mean that your ultimate results will end up being beneficial.

Wow. Where do I begin with this one. So now you know the outcome of research before it's even done? That's it. You win. I'm out.

Research? Just listen to the bees. Anyone that ignores that (and what other countries are doing regarding bees) would just not even say anything about "research". Just watch what nature has to tell about GMOs.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options

Where did you even get the glimpse of an idea that the poster said they know the outcome of research before it's done? Sounds like you're the one jumping to conclusions...
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Also for those of you that don't know...GMOs are bred to be able to handle the insecticides and pesticides that companies use. That's why companies like Bayer are now banned from farm products in particular countries.

I just thought of another film that came out recently. And please, don't tell me Ken Burns is "biased"

The Dust Bowl.

Now that's some good TV.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    robertdowneyjr-tropicthunder.jpg
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm no fan of Monsanto, BUT I also suspect GMO crops will be key in the survival of humanity given the havoc we are doing to the climate. If GMO can make a crop resistant to the drought, floods, etc.we humans seem intent on bringing to pass, well... we might have to get off our high horses.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. God! I'm off to the health food store in my Prius (I painted mine green so people REALLY know how green I am) to pay 3 times as much for fruit and vegetables that are bruised and insect infested so this GMO stuff doesn't make my stomach explode! I'm then dropping my wife off for her $300 seaweed scrub to remove all that pesky cellulite. Then I will quickly come home, throw out my "death box" to avoid that new fangled radiation stuff from turning the whole family into a mini-army of zombies and sit on my squatty potty so I don't get giant, fanged hemorrhoids tomorrow. Whew! Thank you so much!!!!! Crisis averted.

Keep eating your spam , buddy .
  • duganed
    duganed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You know what else is a huge threat to our health and the environment? Too many people and not enough food.

If we stopped feeding livestock we could feed the world.
  • cassiepv
    Options
    You know what else is a huge threat to our health and the environment? Too many people and not enough food.

If we stop dumping corn syrup in everything we eat , we would have plenty of corn
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I read a book once written by Margaret Atwood, called Oryx and Crake. I realize it's fiction, but the world she described was just this. The seed companies had reached the point where they created seeds that would grow once, but the seeds that those plants produced would not grow. It's basically a genetic modification post apocalyptic world gone totally wrong. Chickie nubs and stuff. It was a decent book to read, if you are into that sort of thing.

One of my favorite books of all time :)
  • cassiepv
    Options

I read a book once written by Margaret Atwood, called Oryx and Crake. I realize it's fiction, but the world she described was just this. The seed companies had reached the point where they created seeds that would grow once, but the seeds that those plants produced would not grow. It's basically a genetic modification post apocalyptic world gone totally wrong. Chickie nubs and stuff. It was a decent book to read, if you are into that sort of thing.

One of my favorite books of all time :)

Me too :)
  • duganed
    duganed Posts: 10 Member
    Options

If we stop dumping corn syrup in everything we eat , we would have plenty of corn

Sounds delish.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    FOR THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE GMO FOOD AND THINK YOU'RE EATING & PAYING MORE FOR ORGANIC SO CALLED HEALTHY FOODS...... SUCKERS!!

Conveniently, organic food is not subject to testing or to the 0.05% rule either. While organic may not be grown with GM seeds and farmers must take steps to prevent cross pollination, there is no federal rule that organic must be GM free..

Genetically engineered seeds are an “excluded method” for certified organic farming. However, organic foods may contain genetically engineered ingredients as long as efforts to exclude them have been made.

I think the thing people do not realize is that GMOs are in so much of the food we eat. [/img]
    I agree with this^^ Although I would still like to see a label on our foods, but I eat gmo foods all the time and I am all healthly.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've seen several threads like this on MFP now, and I'm always shocked at the amount of people who seemingly don't care what is in their food and always fire back with "breathing air causes cancer".
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    del
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've seen several threads like this on MFP now, and I'm always shocked at the amount of people who seemingly don't care what is in their food and always fire back with "breathing air causes cancer".

not fear mongering =/= not caring...
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The problem is that there has NOT been substantial testing to insure the safety of genetically modified organisms. Genetic engineering is a trial-and-error process with many failures and unexpected results. Many studies have shown a link to new allergens in food, lower nutrition, and birth defects in livestock eating GMO soy and corn. My concern is the irreversible and unpredictable genetic and ecological effects. What about the effect these organisms can have on beneficial insects?

I do not buy GMO corn, soy or canola oil. At my local grocery store the organic foods are NOT 3 times that of commercial, they are only pennies more and often the same price or cheaper!

Also, what about patenting of genetically engineered crop and animal varieties and how they effect small farmers around the globe? Imagine farmers in countries that are too poor to buy seeds and have depended on saving seeds for 10,000 years to replant? With Monsanto's patented seeds are often terminator seeds that will not reproduce. That's my two cents!