Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Eventually, the name will be changed to Planet Hitler.
    :huh:

godwins-law1.png?1265674291
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Yeah, the one in this area didn't used to be this bad.

There's a new gym here that's called Xperience Fitness that acutally has a GYM, and has a pool and classes and stuff, and it's the same price as PF.

The only crappy thing is that it's on the west side of town and I'm on the far east, so it's a 20 minute drive, more depending on traffic :/

Go to Titletown fitness. Their classes effin rock!
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I joined a little local place. It doesn't have a pool or lots of bells and whistles, but there are free weights, plenty of cardio equipment and a few classes. And since they're not a huge franchise...IT'S CHEAP! ^_^
  • Drewillbeback111
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I was actually thinking of checking it out. I am tired of the machines at Golds not getting fixed, but I can't live with NO FREE WEIGHTS!!! Gues I will have to stick with Golds. Supposedly there is a new gym opening here (Birmingham Alabama) close to Golds, may check it out, but PF is out of the consideration!!!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask, what is the buzzer?

Kind like the Lifeguard whistle? I always wanna cram that whistle right up big buff guy's nose.

It's called a Lunk Alarm, I completely disagree with it. My PF never uses it, basically unless you are being completely ridiculous, and I mean ridiculous on purpose, nothing ever gets said. People wear what they want and pretty much work out how they want.

The Lunk Alarm is supposed to be hit when you grunt or drop weights.

I understand why people don't like PF. I go to a boot camp where I do all of my lifting and plyometrics. I only use PF for cardio so nothing bothers me there. There are people though who go there and have gotten fit. It is a broad assumption to lump lazy people in with those who are members.

With that being said, it is a good concept. I understand the concept. I think a lot of it has gotten out of hand. I will say this though, it isn't all PF corporate changing things. When I worked there we got a ton of complaints about everything from how much of a girls stomach was showing, to people are breathing too hard, we even had complaints about the smith machines and how it wasn't fair that "us bigger women have to be in front of a mirror that is directly behind a smith machine for the guys to look at us it's degrading".. People are ridiculous. People are intimidated, people are lazy, but people are also low on money and 10 a month is a pretty decent deal for a pretty decent gym.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do they want you to work out in a Berkah?
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    For me, Planet Fitness is the only gym in the area I can afford to go to. My experience has been nothing like what people here seem to have experienced. Is it possible each branch "bends" the rules (or doesn't in the least) in a different way? Very disappointed in them fro m what I've heard here.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this no sleeveless shirt thing. I almost always wear a tank top. It's hot here and it gets even hotter in most gyms. And at all the gyms I belonged to many people wore sleeveless (guys, girls, old, young, skinny, fat whatever).

And the clinking of weights? Sometimes that just happens. Whenever I've done it, I feel bad for like a second and then hear someone drop a lot heavier of weights and I go on with my next set & try to be more careful. If I didn't want to clink/drop, I'd not be attempting to increase how much I can lift.

As far as I know there are no PF here so I don't need to worry about that. It's just perplexing.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness. In the summer I was going a few times a week and eating right and I was the fittest I've ever been. Partly because my eating didn't depend on what was or wasn't in front of me. It was under my own control and I didn't blame someone else for my bad choices if I happened to eat something that wasn't good for me.
    I'll admit, I don't like to put forth that much effort when it comes to working out. I don't know how to work out on my own and I'm not motivated to learn how. I know that about myself. But I can go to planet fitness and use the bikes, the treadmill, and all the machines and get fit without having to think a whole lot about it or be creative with what workout I'm going to do. I don't like to be preoccupied with that, and it sounds to me like a lot of you are really bent out of shape by people like me.

You know how to work out, and that's great. Be proud of yourself. But don't judge others who are getting the same results by a different method. You care about the whole world of "working out", and that's fine. I can get fit and live my life and not care about that.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Planet Fitness sucks balls.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I have a membership to PF because it was $199 for 18 months.

It was much nicer than the Gold's which is close by and wanted $25 month. I only use it in a pinch, either to run on the treadmill or do some plyo's. The free weight section is usually crowded, but when I use them gym, I'm there between 6-8 PM.

I've never understood the whole 'Pizza Night' and 'Bagel Mornings', but that's just me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    PF is a joke:

29F00D60-42E1-4C68-8AE0-357E2AFA290B-21673-000010B3C91F838D.jpg
    Lol, because deadlifting makes too much noise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I kind of understand the whole "no sleeveless shirts" thing. My campus gym (yay for included membership!) has a rule like that because apparently before they actually enforced it, people would leave their arm sweat all over the machines... Nasty.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    How is it more enticing than a fast food place in the same shopping center? Really, it boils down to one's own self-control, where ever they are.

Point is this is a FITNESS place that is promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices. Explain to me how that makes sense?

Kind of like serving booze at an AA meeting...
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is fine for me. It provides me with the things I need which is treadmills and the strength machines. There are free weights as well. The men at the gym are actually really really nice and I work out with them sometimes. If they see I'm doing something wrong in terms of form theyll help me. But, I have membership at two gyms so PF may be fine for me because what I need is provided by two different gyms. Plus I do other activities outside of the gym.

I don't wear sleeveless shirts to the gym because i like my shirt to actually absorb my sweat. I also dont wear anything on my head. So those rules really never bothered me.

Honestly you are paying next to nothing for PF so you get what you pay for.

And for those saying that the gym is for those who dont work out for real..... thats complete and total bull****.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I kind of understand the whole "no sleeveless shirts" thing. My campus gym (yay for included membership!) has a rule like that because apparently before they actually enforced it, people would leave their arm sweat all over the machines... Nasty.
    I don't know if you're aware of this, but your arms do sweat from mid-bicep down...
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    How is it more enticing than a fast food place in the same shopping center? Really, it boils down to one's own self-control, where ever they are.
    Point is this is a FITNESS place that is promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices. Explain to me how that makes sense?

Kind of like serving booze at an AA meeting...
    That's a flawed comparison. Are the folks in the gym all compulsive pizza eaters? Will eating a slice of pizza make one "fall off the wagon" and binge on pizza uncontrollably?

I see it more as an acknowledgement that one can improve one's fitness and still eat the occasional slice of pizza. It's once a month, and most member don't even touch it anyway.

So, I take it that you ever eat pizza, bro?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I started at planet fitness and cancelled my membership because of the lack of free weights and the inability to actually train there. You had to be quiet .
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

Riiiight....*eye roll*

The PF's in my area don't have these rules....and I have 4 different ones within a 10 mile radius....but oh well. Don't like it, go somewhere else. Or complain to your manager/corporate...those aren't corporate rules..those are rules brought forth by the people running that specific location.

Same here-I have 2 within 6 miles of my parents' house and those aren't the corporate rules. I've heard people drop weights before and nothing happens (it's alsot at 430am so that might be a factor)

And for that other poster-I've lost over 20 pounds while going to PF but apparently people that go there don't work out :huh:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Eventually, the name will be changed to Planet Hitler.
    :huh:

godwins-law1.png?1265674291

That is purely awesome. :drinker: