Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Well I worked there and there was always ALOT of pizza thrown away. Most people dont eat it.
    Bingo. Suspicion confirmed.
    The gym isn't perfect but just because there is pizza once a month and a bagel once a month don't act like everyone there is not serious. It is an insult. You know nothing about me or anyone that goes there I have lost over 100 pounds so I am not lazy.
    Well put.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    That is so horrible and judgmental. How the hell can anyone workout in sleeves, I mean REALLY? And no headresses for religious purposes F**k them, I hope you spread this information like wildfire. And why would you get rid of the free weights, I bet their reasoning is oh, so people don't accidentally drop it on their foot. Good God. I've heard nothing but bad things about this gym, and they are legitimate complaints.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i would never join PFitness
    i saw a sign on a planet fitness that said no deadlifting.
    Someone told me they have tootsie rolls on their counter as they leave and Pizza days once a month.
    it's for people who want to say they go to the gym but aren't serious.

:angry:

Well I worked there and there was always ALOT of pizza thrown away. Most people dont eat it.

However, we had one member bring her kids in and hugged us and cried because she wasn't going to be able to feed her kids that night. She also had her water shut off and used our showers for her and her kids. I know what you are thinking, why does she have a membership right? Well it was 10 per month and she lived right behind our facility and when she signed up she had a job. Thanks to some investigating by the staff and some networking, she got a job.

The gym isn't perfect but just because there is pizza once a month and a bagel once a month don't act like everyone there is not serious. It is an insult. You know nothing about me or anyone that goes there I have lost over 100 pounds so I am not lazy.

you are getting too defensive. all i said is someone told me they have pizza once a month.

I am not mad or anything. I just noticed some people saying that it's a gym for people who aren't serious about losing weight and I just think that is rude. I don't really care. It's a nice gym for the money is all I am trying to say basically.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

Riiiight....*eye roll*

The PF's in my area don't have these rules....and I have 4 different ones within a 10 mile radius....but oh well. Don't like it, go somewhere else. Or complain to your manager/corporate...those aren't corporate rules..those are rules brought forth by the people running that specific location.

They didn't USED to have those rules when I signed up. They changed them. If thy had those rules when I signed up...well I would've signed up. I contacted corporate and this is their response. I then replied and said "How to I cancel my membership. Can I do it in person, or does it HAVE to be certified mail". No response.

Leah,

Thank you for contacting us. We do have a corporate dress code that applies to all locations nationwide. As part of that dress code we do not allow ripped clothing, inappropriate imagery/wording, spaghetti strap tank tops, or tank tops/shirts that are too revealing. Since we are independently owned and operated, how strictly they enforce this dress code is at the discretion of the manager when it comes to clothing deemed to be too revealing. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Best Regards,

Jenifer Ward
    Member Relations
    Planet Fitness Corporate
  • Kimberlylewis5453
    Options
    Wow, just wow.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have toured 3 separate PFs in my area over the last year because I was told that not all locations were the same and I wanted to see for myself. I visited at peak times so I could get a feel for what the atmosphere was like. They were stocked to the gills with machines, but had limited free weights. There was candy on the counter and I managed to visit on pizza night at one of them. I like pizza. I eat it regularly, but I don't want to have to smell it while I am working out. The "lunk alarm" is just ridiculous. Calling someone out for dropping a weight or because they are putting forth too much effort for someone's liking and happen to make some noise is pathetic.

Based on my own observations I can not take a gym culture like this seriously. A gym should support their clients healthy habits and encourage improvement. They should not feed them candy and eliminate an entire method of training just because it might intimidate those who aren't brave enough to try it themselves.

Sorry if I hurt some feelings. I will admit that I made I very sweeping generalization, just as PF likes to stereotype those who lift.

:drinker:
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have a planet fitness membership and I love it. It has free weights and you can wear tank tops. It is not for people that are not serious about exercise. I am there at 4:30 am 5 days a week and work out hard. My daughter also works out there and she is a certified personal trainer. It meets our needs just fine and I love it much more than the last 2 gyms I had a membership too. I guess to each their own... We can all shop around for what best meets our own needs.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Seriously? If I saw a sign like that in my gym I'd slap someone in the face. And flush it down the toilet.

Have you ever been to a gym that has a lot of people frequently deadlifting? I haven't.

But at one gym I used to go to, there was always one guy who insisted on just completely dropping the barbell after deadlifting. The noise was so loud that it was literally unbelievable. Morons like that are the reason places like PF ban all deadlifting instead of just dropping weights.

As a matter of fact, almost everytime I'm at the gym I see at least 1 or 2 people (excluding myself) deadlifting while I'm there :smile:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

Riiiight....*eye roll*

The PF's in my area don't have these rules....and I have 4 different ones within a 10 mile radius....but oh well. Don't like it, go somewhere else. Or complain to your manager/corporate...those aren't corporate rules..those are rules brought forth by the people running that specific location.

They didn't USED to have those rules when I signed up. They changed them. If thy had those rules when I signed up...well I would've signed up. I contacted corporate and this is their response. I then replied and said "How to I cancel my membership. Can I do it in person, or does it HAVE to be certified mail". No response.

Leah,

Thank you for contacting us. We do have a corporate dress code that applies to all locations nationwide. As part of that dress code we do not allow ripped clothing, inappropriate imagery/wording, spaghetti strap tank tops, or tank tops/shirts that are too revealing. Since we are independently owned and operated, how strictly they enforce this dress code is at the discretion of the manager when it comes to clothing deemed to be too revealing. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Best Regards,

Jenifer Ward
    Member Relations
    Planet Fitness Corporate

The key is the "independently owned and operated" bit. You either need to find another PF with different management, or find a different gym altogether.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Wow, Nice "response" from Corporate. :huh:
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Honestly, I kind of understand the whole "no sleeveless shirts" thing. My campus gym (yay for included membership!) has a rule like that because apparently before they actually enforced it, people would leave their arm sweat all over the machines... Nasty.

How does this prevent arm sweat? You can leave arm sweat from having a short sleeved shirt too? And then just have a rule to CLEAN your machines...
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Why would they do away with free weights?
    Free weights work the muscles differently than machines. There are several machines I can't use due to my shoulder.
    Besides, they don't even have a pool. So I'd never join.

They calim because it can be "intimidating". It's the same excuse they use to ban wearing sleeveless shirts. They don't even allow people to wear headresses for religious purposes or do-rags for people who need it to keep their hair from going crazy. The "judgment free zone" is like the stepping into the zone of judgment.

at my PF they put the free weights in the front and all the machines in the back.. best part to me bc i can watch all the dudes work the free weights HEHE
    they haven't taken away our free weights nor have they made any rules abt sleeves... i really hope they dont bc i will be CANX too if so!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Wow, Nice "response" from Corporate. :huh:
    It was, actually. Respectful and professional. Didn't try to evade questions.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Riiiight....*eye roll*

Leah,

Best Regards,

Jenifer Ward
    Member Relations
    Planet Fitness Corporate

There is a corporate policy but it isn't to ban sleeveless shirts, it is to tell girls who's top part is falling out of their shirt to put another one on and in the 2 cases this happened we gave them a new tshirt. I am sorry that the one you go to said no sleeveless shirts. But in the 2 cases I had to take care of they were literally coming out, it was serious. It is ultimately up to the manager whether or not to take care of something or how strictly they enforce a rule.

I am sorry you are unhappy. I wish you best of luck finding a place you are happy with.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    PF is a joke. All their gyms have the same rules. But it's how much they enforce them is where the "independently owned" part comes in. The PF I know of in Washington DC will give you a warning if you end up getting the "lunk alarm" sounded on you. If it happens a second time, you're shown the door.

They also don't have DB's higher than 55lbs, which is ridiculous.

They also cut the bars short on the Leg Press machines so you can't put too many plates on, which is ludicrous.

All I have to say to Planet Fitness is, DO YOU EVEN?
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    My boyfriends friend was a long time member (gym was close to his house)... He was asked not to come back to the gym becuase he was to big (in shape) and was intimidating the other members!

P.S. My boyfriends friend is one of the sweetest guys ever. Not intimidating at all!

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Like, come on, seriously??
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How is it more enticing than a fast food place in the same shopping center? Really, it boils down to one's own self-control, where ever they are.

Point is this is a FITNESS place that is promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices. Explain to me how that makes sense?

Kind of like serving booze at an AA meeting...

Exactly! Thank you!!!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    How is it more enticing than a fast food place in the same shopping center? Really, it boils down to one's own self-control, where ever they are.

Point is this is a FITNESS place that is promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices. Explain to me how that makes sense?

*headdesk*
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Today's lesson, children, is that the customer is not always right.

Each business owner chooses the segment or segments that it wants to market to, and caters its services or products to those people. You cannot please everyone all of the time, but you can certainly please plenty of folks most of the time, if you do it right.

Fortunately, we're all free to choose where we spend out dollars. If you do not like a service or product, don't buy it. If it isn't hurting anyone, then get over it and move on.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Exactly! Thank you!!!

:yawn: :huh: